Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1903 concerns
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 151
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 29, 2021 - 9:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hey guys does any of this rifle look re-blued to you. The barrel sure looks better than the other parts. Could that be normal.

Thanks

Steve

https://i.imgur.com/sX1rceS.pngImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/eQulzhZ.pngImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/5KuYTHc.pngImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/hvsjg8e.pngImage Enlarger

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
June 29, 2021 - 11:39 pm

From what i can see in the picture it has been refinished /touched up.  I can’t believe the nose cap. It is the condition the rest of the gun should look. All IMHO

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Guest
June 29, 2021 - 11:58 pm

Does it look like the original barrel? The serial numbers match on the trigger guard and receiver.

Steve

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
June 30, 2021 - 1:33 am

Post a picture of the proof marks.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6381
June 30, 2021 - 2:04 am

slk said  The barrel sure looks better than the other parts. Could that be normal.

Yes!  You see see it on other models owing to the difference in the steel & bluing methods, as well as the difference in handling.  Barrels were rust blued, but rcvrs. were carbonia or “machine” blued.  Gun looks totally right to me.

NY
WACA Member
June 30, 2021 - 2:10 am

Vince said
 I can’t believe the nose cap. It is the condition the rest of the gun should look. All IMHO  

Compare it with top of rcvr. & sides next to fore-arm–same wear & patina.  Uneven wear like this is natural & hard to fake.

WACA Guest
June 30, 2021 - 2:33 am

I do not have any pictures of proof marks, as I do not own this rifle (yet). I have looked at so many the last few days. A lot of them have cracks all over them. To get one that is a real collector grade the price goes up dramatically. I enjoy collecting them but do like to shoot them as well. I have been looking for one that is a little better than just a shooter, but not a 80-90% rifle. I have a really nice 63, but have always wanted the 03 just because of what it was. I have seen them for $550-$1200. I have just been trying to justify the pricing of them…

Steve

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
June 30, 2021 - 2:48 am

Steve,

What is the serial number on that rifle? The barrel marking indicates that it is a late production part.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
June 30, 2021 - 2:49 am

I think it is a 1930-31 Sn#112519

Steve

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
June 30, 2021 - 5:06 am

slk said
I think it is a 1930-31 Sn#112519

Steve  

S/N 112519 makes it an April 1923 production rifle.  That stated, the barrel marking is correct for that time period.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
June 30, 2021 - 2:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Older than I thought. Well I have just found out that it has a hair line crack in the fore arm. and had chip out of the toe that was repaired with some sort of epoxy that was color coated like wood grain.  They are asking $600. I think there are many others out there in better shape.

Steve

Bert I sent you a PM

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2346
June 30, 2021 - 4:38 pm

slk said
Older than I thought. Well I have just found out that it has a hair line crack in the fore arm. and had chip out of the toe that was repaired with some sort of epoxy that was color coated like wood grain.  They are asking $600. I think there are many others out there in better shape.

Steve

Bert I sent you a PM  

You are going to be hard pressed to find a better one. Almost all have cracks and the receivers fade long before the bbl. It does still have its blued bolt and that its plus in my book. I think $600 for that rifle is a good value. I waited for many years to get a nice one. Mine is 2nd year production, about 90%+ with no cracks. Paid $940 with shipping. I bought a bunch of ammo to shoot, and was advised by JWA that it has a bronze firing pin and not to shoot it. Yours has the steel pin and should shoot very well. As for the end caps, they too have a tendency to lose their color. Big LarryM1903-right-side.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
June 30, 2021 - 5:03 pm

Big Larry said

You are going to be hard pressed to find a better one. Almost all have cracks and the receivers fade long before the bbl. It does still have its blued bolt and that its plus in my book. I think $600 for that rifle is a good value. 

So do I.  Esp. with the tang sight, worth $150 or more.  Except for the toe repair (which you might use to chisel down the price), gun shows only modest, & honest, wear.  For the money, I’d prefer this gun to Larry’s 90% gun, which I’d feel I had to handle with kid gloves.

It deserves to be shot, but finding ammo is far more of a concern than its condition.

WACA Guest
June 30, 2021 - 5:28 pm

Here is one at a local gun shop that I really think has been re-blued. They just sent me these 2 pics. I sent a note back and aked for one of the labeling on the barrel. When I get it I will post. This rifle looks too good to be true, but they are (asking) $1200. 

https://i.imgur.com/BWwfuVa.pngImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/Vx5Yl2E.pngImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
June 30, 2021 - 5:50 pm

Here are some extra pictures of the first rifle I posted about with the toe damage and crack behind the sight.  

https://i.imgur.com/9dU1U4P.pngImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/3VBwgiP.pngImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/5FcdcRL.pngImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/XSjr5Bc.pngImage Enlarger

NY
WACA Member
June 30, 2021 - 6:15 pm

slk said
Here is one at a local gun shop that I really think has been re-blued. They just sent me these 2 pics. I sent a note back and aked for one of the labeling on the barrel. When I get it I will post. This rifle looks too good to be true, but they are (asking) $1200. 

Even if it was original, I’d rather have the other for half the price; but forget the brl. photo–it’s a complete refinish, esp. evident on the stock.

By the way, if you expect the typical dumbbell gun shop dealer to be able to distinguish between original finish & a good reblue, you’re expecting way too much, even if the man is honest.

WACA Guest
June 30, 2021 - 6:21 pm

Yes I just spoke with them and they admitted it was a refinish. 

On the first rifle the crack behind the sight is not all that bad, but the toe repair I do not like. I would have to re-do that

Steve

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
June 30, 2021 - 10:49 pm

Might want to keep an eye on this one, Appears the wood may have been chemically stripped, does not appear to have been sanded. The price is right if it doesn’t get run up.

Winchester Model 03 .22 Automatic Rifle – Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 902398635

Erin

NY
WACA Member
July 1, 2021 - 12:06 am

Erin Grivicich said
Might want to keep an eye on this one, Appears the wood may have been chemically stripped, does not appear to have been sanded. The price is right if it doesn’t get run up.

Winchester Model 03 .22 Automatic Rifle – Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 902398635

Erin  

When have you seen any half-way reasonable price on GB not run-up 50% or more in the last half-hour?  I never have.  Wood definitely stripped.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
July 1, 2021 - 12:42 pm

clarence said

When have you seen any half-way reasonable price on GB not run-up 50% or more in the last half-hour?  I never have.  Wood definitely stripped.  

As I said, keep an eye on it.  I’ve purchased several items on GB for what I would term reasonable. One never knows……

Erin

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6381
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346