Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
what to look for 1890?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 68
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 20, 2019 - 6:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

going to look at a 1890 .22 this afternoon. anything i should look at for function etc? price is 250 bucks. I’m just looking for a plinker. I’m not even sure what length bullet. but it’s got a long octagon barrel. jim

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 886
May 20, 2019 - 6:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

A common thing with 1890’s is a cracked stock in the tang. If the stock has any free play from side to side it’s cracked even tho it might not be visible. The next thing to check is the condition of the bore. Examine it closely with a good bore light, a bore scope would be better. Most first and second models will look like a sewer pipe on the inside. Early third models also fall into this category. This is all due to black powder cartridges and corrosive primers. Make sure the rifle is complete, look for non factory screws. If factory screws have been replaced with “hardware” screws, chances are very good the threads are wrecked. Check the magazine bands to be sure they are tight to the barrel. Check the function of the inner magazine tube to make sure it moves freely. Check the sights to make sure they are original and not buggered up. Check the forearm screws to make sure they are original, this is one of the most common area’s for bubba to run a incorrect screw in. Overall exterior condition should be self explanatory. If at all possible, function test it with live ammo to make sure everything works as it should.  If it passes all these checks you have a bargain at $250

Erin

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
May 22, 2019 - 5:25 pm

You can live with some corrosion if it still has rifling left.  It takes some effort to find 22 short or long ammo.  The WRF is not hard to find but is expensive.  These guns never had primers but did have priming compounds.  1890’s or 90’s don’t interchange the 4 different 22’s they are made for.  They can only shoot the one it is marked for.  Third models will be the least expensive. The first models are the only ones that are really hard to find. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 68
May 23, 2019 - 12:07 am

I forgot to log in when I originally made this post, then logged in and reposted so i have 2 posts going on the same rifle. I’ll post up here too but one of these threads could be deleted

the rifle had a decent barrel, stock is cracked and held together with a old bolt and nut, going to order some brass pins and epoxy to put it  back in one piece. turns out the extractor claw is busted off and the magazine tube is missing the guts. ordered new extractor and tube from jack first. the rifle is a 22 wrf. made in 1909. still has blue on the barrel. over all a pretty cool gun and the born on date matches me src30-30 that might or might  not be originally a 16 inch carbine. jim

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 126
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250