Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1890. Need help finding more about gun
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 30, 2017 - 9:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello, new to the group. I have inherited a model 1890 with serial numbers that seem to be saying it was manufactured in 1905. It is nickel? Maybe ss? I’m not sure. It has gold hammer and trigger and other misc parts gold. All around great shape. Did Winchester make them like this, was it a special order, or did my grandfather rebuild this gun?! I have no clue and can’t find another one like this.. any help would be appreciated. It’s not a deluxe. And I’m having problems uploading pics off my iPhone. Thanks in advance friends

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
December 31, 2017 - 2:48 am

We need to know what the serial number is to confirm the date of manufacture.

Winchester did offer nickel plating, as well as silver and gold plating (on special order) a very small number of Model 1890 rifles. However, I suspect that your rifle was reworked after the fact. Typically, gold plating was ordered on the fancy grade rifles.

If your Model 1890 was manufactured in the year 1905, you can get a factory letter for it from the Cody Firearms Museum records office tell you if it was factory nickel/gold plated.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
December 31, 2017 - 7:26 am

The serial number is 242190. I’m beginning to believe it was re plated by some one. And if it it was, he or she did an extraordinary job. All the numbers and markings are in perfect condition. Wish my grandfather was here to answer some of these questions. 

Also, how would I go about getting a letter from Cody fire arms museum?

thanks in advance !

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
December 31, 2017 - 6:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

[email protected] said
The serial number is 242190. I’m beginning to believe it was re plated by some one. And if it it was, he or she did an extraordinary job. All the numbers and markings are in perfect condition. Wish my grandfather was here to answer some of these questions. 

Also, how would I go about getting a letter from Cody fire arms museum?

thanks in advance !  

The serial number identifies it as being manufactured in May of 1905 (Ned Schwing’s reference book).  It is within the serial range that can be lettered by the CFM records office – https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: gobblerforge, bhutch, tsbccut
Guest(s) 86
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970