Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
M1904 on Gun Broker
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2323
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
April 30, 2017 - 3:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The luck of the Irish hit me again last night. Anyone who knows me, knows my affinity for Winchester 22’s. Not quite as bad as my buddy JWA though. Gunbroker auction had a very nice M1904, not an 04 or 04A, but an early M1904. Great bluing still present and 100% correct, BUT, a not so perfect bore. Quite common in these old single shots. Late enough for proof marks too. I figure 1914 is about right for this rifle. No one bid against me so I got this nice rifle for $375+ shipping. OK, now all I need is a M1903 to complete my set of 22’s. Lots of those around. Do not intend on buying a M1873 22 rifle. Too expensive.    Big LarryWinchester-M1904.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 30, 2017 - 4:57 pm

Congrats, looking forward to hearing more about it when it arrives.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
April 30, 2017 - 5:07 pm

Congratulations Big Larry!  I can’t wait to see more pictures of it, too!

James

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6280
April 30, 2017 - 5:31 pm

Have a Favorite with a bore so rough you’d think the bullet would turn into bird-shot before it left the barrel; yet I can hit an 18″ square steel target at 150 yds pretty consistently from a sitting position.  Couldn’t do better if it had a mint bore, because I’d still be shooting it at the same target.

Of Winchester’s “boys rifles,” the one I’ve been most tempted by is the 1904, because they can still be had for somewhat less than an arm and a leg.  Have looked at them on GB many times, but what always causes me to back off are the sights, and the impossibility of mounting a tang sight such as I have on the Favorite and all my singleshots.  I wouldn’t want one to pile up in the safe, but one to shoot, which for me is impossible with the factory sights.

If the bore on this gun turns out to be unshootable (which I doubt!), it can always be relined, but I can think of no remedy for the sights.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
April 30, 2017 - 7:45 pm

One thing a bore scope has taught me it that an ugly bore, while not capable of benchrest accuracy, is often capable of acceptable plinking accuracy. I’ve found as long as lands and grooves are somewhat well defined for the length of the bore it should be capable of 3-5″ groups @ 100 yds, sometimes better. My latest 32WCF will be an interesting test of this theory; lands are bright but grooves are a bit rough.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
April 30, 2017 - 8:15 pm

I have a M1890 in 22 Long with a bad bore and it shoots very well. I guess that as long as the bullet spins it will be somewhat OK. I pride myself on my collection as to have nice bores, but sometimes it just does not happen. Out of 150 guns I have, 4 have bad bores. All rifles. none of my handguns have bad bores.

I have found the 32-20 to be an extremely accurate cartridge at 100 yds with open sights. I have a real nice M53 in 32 WCF and have some reloads. I will test it out when it warms up a bit.

The best thing about the M04 is the “A” model in 22 LR. but I wound up with the M1904 in 22S,L, and Extra Long. I have a M58 in 22 LR and am dying to try that one out. So far, my best shooting kids gun is my M60A Sporter.    Big Larry

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 55
May 6, 2017 - 10:40 am

That M1904 looks very good Larry, it is so hard to get even a decent example of these early boy’s rifles.

They tended to be used hard, put away wet and the early ammunition (priming actually) did them no favours.

I have parcel with two M 02s and a M 60A coming, “pigs in pokes” but the barrels are said to be good. At the worst spare screws and parts.

We live in hope.

WACA Member
May 6, 2017 - 2:28 pm

I have been quite lucky in my search for Winchester 22 rifles. Most of the bores are near 100%. The M1900 I just bought looks like a shotgun bore,

but the outside is great. The Thumb Trigger, M02, M06, M60-A Sporter, the M59, and M58, all have great bores as do most all my guns. I had to lower my standards as these old rifles are getting real hard to find in any condition.  Big Larry

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 794
May 9, 2017 - 9:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I too have a love for these old single shots.  I picked one up that most collectors would just write off because of the modifications, but I thought it had personality.  I can imagine a dad fixing up a gun for his son.  Excellent inside and out, but the peep sight and Swiss butt sold me.  I thought $325 was fair.IMG_0225.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_0224.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_0226.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Posts: 2110
May 9, 2017 - 9:57 pm

Roger Baker said
I too have a love for these old single shots.  I picked one up that most collectors would just write off because of the modifications, but I thought it had personality.  I can imagine a dad fixing up a gun for his son.  Excellent inside and out, but the peep sight and Swiss butt sold me.  I thought $325 was fair.IMG_0225.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_0224.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_0226.JPGImage Enlarger  

That is certainly a unique 1904!  I would not have passed on that one either.

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 137
May 9, 2017 - 10:35 pm

That is a sweet 1904. Someone put a lot of work and love in to it.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6280
May 9, 2017 - 10:37 pm

Roger Baker said
I picked one up that most collectors would just write off because of the modifications, but I thought it had personality.

Not me–I like it BETTER; only wish I’d seen it first!  The location of the peep is really a little too far forward for easiest use, but still an improvement over the factory sight.

WACA Member
May 10, 2017 - 1:13 am

I think I will D&T mine when it gets here Thursday and scope it with a 30X STS.  Big Larry

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
May 10, 2017 - 2:13 am

Roger,

The nickel plated Swiss butt plate is worth what you paid for the entire rifle.  I personally would call it a “Pimped” Model 1904. 

Your contentious buddy,

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 794
May 10, 2017 - 2:34 am

Hey Clarence, you are right on about the peep sight.  I bought that little jewel before my eyes started aging and I could get that little hole lined up with the front bead, no trouble!  Now, with progressive trifocals, it is all a blur.  So now I just fondle it from time to time.  To some extent I am mostly a “Winchester Hoarder” as opposed to a real ‘collector’.  I do gravitate to the unusual more than the pristine.  Its cost effective and fun for me, but not extremely intelligent.  I use the “Buy what you like, you may have to keep it”, rule.

Roger BLaugh 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323