Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Help with info on Model 1890, 61, 62, and 63s
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 20
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 21, 2022 - 2:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have come across an older gentleman in my local area that is looking to sell his collection.  He has a pretty good number of older Winchester 22s.  I have been trying to research, but wan hoping this group could help point me in the right direction on some of these guns.  He is asking anywhere from $900-$2,500 for them so I am trying to verify things all check out with these.  I took a few photos not realizing how many details would go into this research.  I can get more photos as well.  I will list out the info I have on each of the guns below and in a later post list put up the photos that correspond with the guns from top down.  Any help, thoughts, or suggestions would be super helpful!!

1. Remington Model 12 – 22 WRF 

2. Win 1890/3 – SN 706920 – 22 LR – Nickle Plated?  Assume not factory

3. Win 1890/3 – SN 490756 – 33 Short – Birdseye Maple? – Apt Sight

4. Win 61 – 1961 – 22 Mag

5. Win 1890/3 – SN 798541 – Assume not CCH from the factory

6. Win 1890/3 – 22 W.R.F on the barrel

7. Win 1890/3 – SN 415874 – 22 L

8. ???

9. Win 1890/3 – SN 712828 – 22 S – Gallery Gun

10. Win 1890/2 – SN 87827 – 22 WRF

11. Win 1890/2 – SN 215892 – 22 WRF

12. Win 63 – SN 125665A – 22 LR

13. Win 61 – SN 267519

14. Win 62A – SN 318262

15. Win 61 – SN 154838

16. Win 62A – SN 318517 – Apt sight

17. Win 1890/3 – SN 835667 – 22 LF

18. Win 62 – SN 59655

I would love to add some of these to my collection and pass them down to my kids some day.  Just not overly familiar with these rifles and trying to make an informed decision.  He has some other larger caliber rifles like 1985 405 Takedown, Win 1895 (30-40, 303, 30-03, 30-06), Springfield Trapdoor 45-70, and Enfield by Win 30-06 but I have not even had the time to start looking into those….

Thanks in advance!!

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10725
February 21, 2022 - 9:01 pm

It is not really possible to provide any information or guidance without seeing the pictures of each rifle.

Please start with #5 and #17.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
February 21, 2022 - 9:06 pm

I am working on trying to load photos.  Been struggling with figuring out how to get them in here.  I also realize it will likely take more detailed photos than I have currently.  I will work on getting more for guns that appear to be worth further documentation.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6281
February 21, 2022 - 9:26 pm

Brandin Heidbreder said
I am working on trying to load photos.  Been struggling with figuring out how to get them in here. 

You can’t as a Guest without just about more trouble than it’s worth. This is the kind of collection that usually goes to a big, rapacious, auction house, so if you’re getting first crack at them, consider yourself VERY lucky. If you’re serious about this, better commit yourself to some tedious internet research, reviewing all the “SOLD” prices for the same models that you can find on Gunbroker or GunsInternational, bearing in mind that these are generally higher than average gunshow or gunstore prices. 

WACA Guest
February 21, 2022 - 9:28 pm
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YQLCchVg4ikpijup9

I cannot seem to get the photos to load in to the reply.  But I made a link to a Google Photos page that should allow you to the see the pictures that I have.  Might also give you better resolution to zoom in.  Copy this link and it should take you there.
WACA Guest
February 21, 2022 - 9:32 pm

Thanks Clarence.  I do very very fortunate to have this chance and have been spending a lot of hours the last couple days trying to do as much research as possible.  This is an retired veteran that is just trying to see by word of mouth in the area.  It was a lot to try to digest walking in there and seeing everything.  I promise that link is not some scam or anything.  It was the only way I could think to get photos in there and it makes sense that as a Guest member I might not have all the other access.  Trying to figure out what guns are the leading options to focus my research….

NY
WACA Member
February 21, 2022 - 10:26 pm

Many good guns, but some look refinished, such as, in the upper left hand group, the nickel plated, birdseye, & the bottom one.  I’d stay away from them, unless they were really cheap, like under about $600, which probably isn’t likely.  One I like best is the center, upper, ’90–a clean, honest gun.  My judgement about the owner is that he wasn’t highly selective, though maybe he acquired the refinished guns at bargain prices.

WACA Guest
February 21, 2022 - 11:11 pm

Thank you for the feedback!  The three you pointed out all had my radar go off.  They looked too good to be true.  And no, they are being asked for a very strong price on all three of those.  He is asking $900 for the solo pictured gun that is upside down.  I think that is the one you were referencing.   He has been great to converse with and always enjoy hearing the stories people have.  Hopefully I can add one or two to the collection and keep passing them along.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10725
February 22, 2022 - 2:29 am

Brandin,

The nickel plated Model 90 is aftermarket work, and the rifle with the Maple stock is completely refinished & restocked.

Can you get individual pictures for rifle # 5 and # 17 on your original list ?

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
February 22, 2022 - 3:05 am

I will have to go back to check them out again.  I just took overviews to try and narrow down to a couple I really want to check out.  #5 on the original list is the bottom gun on the first photo with the maple stock.  #17 is the second from the bottom on the second to last photo with the 4 guns.  What exactly would you be looking for in individual photos.  

Anything in particular to be looking for in these guns in general?  The refinished ones make perfect sense as they looked too good to be true.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2291
February 22, 2022 - 11:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Good morning Brandin,

I will be more than happy to help with the Model 61’s.  Based on the little I can see in the linked photos they do look original but that could change.  If you can get photo of the stamped writing on the barrel, the proof marks on the top of the receiver and barrel, and the SN they are typically the easiest places to identify any re-blue on a gun.  You can send the pics directly to me at [email protected]

All the best and happy shopping.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
February 22, 2022 - 2:44 pm

Thanks Michael!  I am gathering all the info and will try to make a trip back over to get additional photos in the next week or so.  Very much appreciate the help in advance!!  Finding a 22 mag seems to be on the rare side and he knows that based on the asking price…

NY
WACA Member
February 22, 2022 - 4:41 pm

Brandin Heidbreder said
  Finding a 22 mag seems to be on the rare side and he knows that based on the asking price…  

If the owner’s basing his prices on what he knows of current auction sales, the prospects of any real “deals” dwindle.  Don’t blame him for aiming high, but if I was trying to sell so many guns of dubious quality, I’d take into account the convenience of direct sales to someone I know, vs. the aggravations of moving them through a dealer or auction co.  For ex., the ’90 I mentioned that he has priced at $900 seems to be just about the going rate for one in that cond., but no bargain to write home about. 

WACA Guest
February 22, 2022 - 5:08 pm

Many thanks Clarence.  I am getting the impression he is trying to base prices off an older edition Blue Book value. And what he has paid for them in the past.  Internet research is not what I would say is his strength.  No doubt he at least knows what he has but also misinformed on some items where asking very high dollar for reconditioned guns assuming they are factory.  I am not opposed to paying a fair market price to keep original guns in their condition.  But finding a bargain would have been nice.  At this point I am trying to narrow down to a handful that are all original and worth adding to a collection.  Then will try to work on the pricing side of things.  This far you all have been super helpful in trying to narrow down my focus.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2291
February 22, 2022 - 6:57 pm

Brandin Heidbreder said
Thanks Michael!  I am gathering all the info and will try to make a trip back over to get additional photos in the next week or so.  Very much appreciate the help in advance!!  Finding a 22 mag seems to be on the rare side and he knows that based on the asking price…  

Brandin,

Model 61’s chambered for .22 Magnum are actually far from rare by any measure.  Based on data I have collected in my survey of the Model 61’s there were approximately 44,100 of them manufactured.  You can pretty much always find a few for sale on Gunbroker.com or at a lot of firearm auctions.  As usual condition drives the selling price but most of them sell in the $1600 to $2200 range.  

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
February 22, 2022 - 7:32 pm

Thank you for that info.  He is staying consistent at the higher end of pricing at $2,300 for the 61 22 mag.  Also asking $950 for the 61 at the top on the two fun picture and $1,300 for the 61 at the top of the 4 guns on the second to last picture.

NY
WACA Member
February 22, 2022 - 8:19 pm

Brandin Heidbreder said

Thank you for that info.  He is staying consistent at the higher end of pricing at $2,300 for the 61 22 mag.  

He’s making it real easy to walk away from that one!  But unless one had a specific purpose for a .22 Mag, like hunting jack-rabbits or prairie-dogs out west, why pay a large premium for a cartridge that costs 2 or 3 times as much to shoot as a LR? 

WACA Guest
February 22, 2022 - 8:59 pm

I would agree with you.  If the value on the gun is not there, it is not worth the extra in my book.  I enjoy a good 22 mag, but not at the expense of likely over paying for the gun. I will still work on getting more pics on the model 61s for your thoughts.  The other two are 22LR as we mentioned.  Be curious if the asking prices of $1300 and $950 end up more on the reasonable side of value or not…

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
February 23, 2022 - 3:19 am

Quite honestly I’d offer him $400 apiece for the entire lot even knowing I’d spend at least a couple years trying to make a modest profit. If he thinks he’s going to sell his entire collection for retail plus I’d be willing to bet his heirs will be selling most of his guns. Those are some very attractive .22’s and I’d love to own a few (or all) but he’ll need a reality check before I pull out my checkbook. I’m sorry to be blunt but like most of us I have a lot more birthdays behind than ahead of me. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
February 24, 2022 - 12:46 am

I don’t foresee this seller being open to that idea.  But I do understand it and would be open to it if he was.  Hopefully I can at least identify a couple worthy options and maybe by some miracle he would be open to mass purchase at a lower price point…certainly open to any suggestions to to any of the guns to focus on.  I will be working on more photos in the future.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Tom D, Ben, Mike LV
Guest(s) 145
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160