Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Advice on Winchester 62a 1951
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 16, 2020 - 6:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hey guys, I’m a new member here and I’d be glad to get some advice. First off, let me say that I’m not a firearms collector. I own a few guns, and each has a purpose (Remington 100 for medium/big game, Remington 870 20g for birds and small game and a few misc pistols for home defense and concealed carry). I don’t really keep guns that don’t have a particular use. Second off, I’ll say that I’ve been wanting to add a 22 rifle to my collection, and was planning to buy a Ruger 10/22. My gramps passed about 8 years ago, and gramma is now moving from her lake house into town as she needs more help. I picked up all of gramps hunting gear and guns, and mixed in there he had a Winchester 62a, in really good condition. Serial number puts it at 1951. I was considering keeping the gun, however, as I said, I don’t keep guns as show pieces or just to collect them. So if I keep it, I’ll be taking it out hunting and it’s liable to get beat up, and bounced around on the back of my Honda CT90 traversing back trails. On the one hand, I don’t want to beat up a nice antique gun. I’d rather pass it along to someone that will really appreciate it as an antique weapon. On the other hand, I do like the rifle. 

Last thing I’ll mention is that while this did belong to gramps, he got it later in life and I never saw him use it. So it has not sentimental attachment for me like his shot gun and deer rifle do. 

If I do keep it, what happens when I need parts, etc? I’ve been building old motorcycles long enough to not take that challenge for granted. 

I’d appreciate any advice!

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 108
March 17, 2020 - 11:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

So are you saying it is for sale?    terry

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
March 18, 2020 - 1:18 am

tsillik said
So are you saying it is for sale?    terry  

If so, how much?

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

WACA Guest
March 18, 2020 - 1:26 am

I was asking for advice not necessarily saying it’s for sale. But yeah I’d probably sell it if I don’t keep it

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
March 18, 2020 - 2:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

In reference to parts:

Quite a few of the parts are interchangeable with 1890 and 1906 models. There is a plethora of used parts available from various known parts sellers and on the auction sites. In addition to used OEM parts, there are lots of aftermarket parts available. It takes thousands of rounds to wear out any of the components, most parts that are needed is because some “Bubba” screwed them up at some point in history.

I would not lose any sleep wondering if you can find parts…..

The 62A is a very well built, durable rifle that will last several generations if properly cared for with a minimal amount of maintenance. The basic design started with the model 1890 in 1890 and Winchester kept it or it’s derivatives (models 1906 62 62A) in production for nearly 70 years. Something to be said for that!!

I personally wouldn’t consider a 10-22 in favor of a 62A but that’s just me. Something to remember, every part in that Winchester is machined to very specific tolerance’s and the fit and finish is second to none.

My 2 cents worth…….

Erin

WACA Guest
March 18, 2020 - 4:02 am

Thanks for that Erin. What do you think a decent condition 62a is worth? I looked up the blue book value, but unsure how closely that maps to reality

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
March 18, 2020 - 10:56 am

I sold one last weekend at a local gun show for $650.  It was a solid 90%+ condition rifle.

I bought one that was drilled and tapped off gunbroker for $256 a couple months ago. 90%+ plus the holes.

Hope this helps.

Erin

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
March 18, 2020 - 6:32 pm

In my opinion there is no way I would not keep your grandfather’s gun.  If you don’t like it buy a 10-22 too.  They are for sale everywhere.  I have a very limited 2014 special edition model 10-22 with a synthetic stock made to resemble an AR of sorts.  Nice gun but the plastic stock is not as well made as the wooden ones or even their normal synthetic stocks.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 119
March 18, 2020 - 9:34 pm

Chuck,  you are right,  there is no way I wouldn’t keep his grandfathers 62a either.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
March 18, 2020 - 10:14 pm

jban said
Chuck,  you are right,  there is no way I wouldn’t keep his grandfathers 62a either.  

Not only would I keep his grandfather’s 62A, I’d park it right next to my grandfather’s 62A. And I’d shoot some grouse with it. Maybe some hares too.

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Steven Gabrielli
Guest(s) 187
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261