Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
3rd model winchester 1890/90: case colored exterior parts
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 27
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 3, 2016 - 6:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

If my reading of Schwing, pp. 44-45, is correct, after Winchester stopped case coloring the receiver of 2nd model 1890s, it still continued to case color the hammer, trigger and takedown screw of 2nd models with blued receivers. 

With respect to either 3rd model 1890s or 90s, did Winchester case color any of the exterior parts? I understand that it did case color the hammer on very early 3rd model 1890s but have never seen such a gun. I have seen restored 3rd models with either or both the hammer and takedown screw being case colored but do not know if this case coloring is historically accurate or just added for aesthetic purposes. If anyone can address this subject as it relates to 3rd model 1890s and 90s, please do. 

Iowa
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 80
November 3, 2016 - 7:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Rick, You will find early 3rd model 1890’s with case colored hammers, butt plates, and takedown screws until around 1910. After that, all parts were blued. But, there will be a mixed bag of case colored parts during this transition. A rifle in the 1907-1910 time period may have case colored hammer only, and a blued butt plate… etc. Hope this helps.

Also, The model 1906 will be found with case colored hammers and takedown screws until 1910 as well. This is rarely seen on a model 1906, due to the fact that they are seldom found with any original finish.

A mint specimen of a model 1906 in my personal collection ca. 1909, Notice the case colored hammer and takedown screw.

Image Enlarger

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 27
November 3, 2016 - 9:27 pm

Austin,  Thanks for your reply. Further questions:

1. What is the source of your knowledge re Winchester’s case coloring of these parts on early 3rd model 1890s? I didn’t find that information in Schwing, maybe I just did not read carefully enough. (I am not aware of any good written source on 1890/90s other than Schwing, if you are, what is it?)

2. Was the reason that Winchester stopped case coloring these parts about 1910 to reduce costs? ( the same reason that I believe Schwing identifies for its eliminating case colored receivers in 1901) 

3. Are you aware of any existing early 3rd model 1890 that still has vibrant case colors on its hammer, takedown screw or butt plate? I would think that such guns would be few given wear and use these parts would likely have been subject to. Thanks for including photo of your early 1906 with case colored hammer and take down screw. I had no idea that early 1906s had case coloring on these parts. Your 1906 is a beautiful and very rare specimen.

Thanks again, Rick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 311
November 4, 2016 - 1:33 am

Rick,

That is one sweet looking 1906.  Can’t be many around with that much original finish.

Thanks for letting us see one.

Jolly

Iowa
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 80
November 4, 2016 - 3:30 am

rick schreiber said
Austin,  Thanks for your reply. Further questions:

1. What is the source of your knowledge re Winchester’s case coloring of these parts on early 3rd model 1890s? I didn’t find that information in Schwing, maybe I just did not read carefully enough. (I am not aware of any good written source on 1890/90s other than Schwing, if you are, what is it?)

2. Was the reason that Winchester stopped case coloring these parts about 1910 to reduce costs? ( the same reason that I believe Schwing identifies for its eliminating case colored receivers in 1901) 

3. Are you aware of any existing early 3rd model 1890 that still has vibrant case colors on its hammer, takedown screw or butt plate? I would think that such guns would be few given wear and use these parts would likely have been subject to. Thanks for including photo of your early 1906 with case colored hammer and take down screw. I had no idea that early 1906s had case coloring on these parts. Your 1906 is a beautiful and very rare specimen.

Thanks again, Rick  

Rick, 

My assumptions on the case colored parts and their transition to blued are from my experience and observations after reviewing thousands of examples over time. I do not know of any other reference book that goes into detail more than that of the Schwing book. 

I have owned and /or seen early 3rd models with high original condition that have vibrant color on the butt plate and hammer. It is exceedingly rare. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 884
November 4, 2016 - 2:47 pm

Here is an original condition 1890 from 1907. The hammer and take down screw are CCH however it has a blued butt plate. The colors are somewhat faded on the hammer and pretty much nonexistent on the takedown screw.

Erin

IMG_2057.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2059.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
November 4, 2016 - 8:11 pm

Here’s a picture of the buttplate on my 2nd Model SN range 190,000.  I have posted some pics on at rimfire central on three of my 1890 rifles.  Although the pictures showing the hammer an TD screw are not that good, they have most of their muted color.  The other second model has 90% strong CC on the hammer and screw and about 50% on the BP.  The third model shows 80% mostly bright CC on the hammer and screw, but pics are not that good.

http://i.imgur.com/joNd960.jpg?2Image Enlarger

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341