Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1947 Winchester Model 61
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 16, 2021 - 2:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Guy’s 

I am not a huge Winchester owner. I have a total of two. One is a 9422 XTR made in 1978 and this model 61 made in 1947.

I got really lucky the other day. I went to my LGS to put a Uberti High Wall in Layaway. I followed a Gentleman through the door that had a rifle case with him. He walked up to the salesman and opened the case up and there she set. A model 61, my eyes lit up. The salesman looked it over and handed it straight to me (he knows me very very well and that I collect 22’s My favorite caliber). The guy told him he wanted to trade it in for the Uberti High Wall. I was happy that he did. I told the salesman after they made their deal I wanted the rifle. After the Gentleman left we did make a deal on the rifle. It cost me but how many of these jewels do you ever see. For me this is my first. 

I found out why he traded it off though after getting it home and on the range. Out of 10 rounds it only fired two. Light very light strikes. Took it apart and noticed that the bolt was not completely going all the way into the lockup space in the receiver. The lugs and the action bar looked just a little worn. This was causing the light strikes. I found a used bolt in good condition along with the action bar. Ordered them ($250 More, owch) got them in and walla, everything is the way it should be now. Headspace is correct and the bolt goes into the lockup recess fully and easily. Took her out and shot 50 rounds without a hiccup. What a joy to shoot. Adjust the sights and she is dead on accurate. The only thing I see is that the butt plate is made of plastic so not original and that someone had cut the LOP down on her. That was OK with me that meant I could cut the LOP down to 12.5″ without feeling guilty about. That is what I did. I will eventually find the correct butt steel plate but no hurry. 

Anyway I just registered on this forum and had to see what you guys think of her, to me she is just sexy and a joy to dance with. Definitely not a safe queen but someone’s shooter in the past. Story I got from the Gentleman that traded in was he bought it off a young man that need to pay bills with the money. It was given to him by his Grandfather that past away, his wife tried to talk him out of selling it but he told her we have to have the money for some bills. Sometimes it sucks to be you and starting out, I lived in his shoes when I was in my late teens and through my twenties. But man did my bride make me happy,so it wasn’t that bad I guess. She still 40 years later is still with me. But that is the story behind this rifle. Like i said it is well used but still in great shape for such an old girl. Guess with that age you could expect the bolt and slide bar wear. She is cleaned and slip 2000 put on wear points from now on.

Here she is anyway.

https://i.postimg.cc/1Rv2MFXd/Winchester-Model-61-2132021-1.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.postimg.cc/WbtKy4J1/Winchester-Model-61-2132021-2.jpgImage Enlarger

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
February 16, 2021 - 4:20 pm

Welcome, Jeff. Hard to find a sweeter rifle than a good 61.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
February 16, 2021 - 6:06 pm

Thanks Mike,

I have only shot 50 rounds so far out of her after being repaired. I have fallen for her right away. You are correct, hard to beat that rifle.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6394
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2307