Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1890 Nickel "Made for Colonel Gaston Bordeverry"
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Seth
WACA Guest
October 9, 2017 - 11:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Ive acquired a Winchester 1890 in nickel engraved with ” Made for Colonel Gaston Bordeverry” on the right side of the case and also has a pearl inlayed “18” on the right side of the stock.  It seems to me to be in very good condition for its age.  It is a 22 short model and has the pistol style grip with checkered walnut.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 10, 2017 - 2:28 pm

Seth,

Did you have a specific question in mind?

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
October 11, 2017 - 5:52 am

Pictures please.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

Seth
WACA Guest
October 17, 2017 - 12:20 am

Sorry guys! I assumed if anyone responded I would get a notification to my email address I provided.  I am just now seeing that folks responded.  Let me see if I can upload pics. For whatever reason before I was unable.  Many questions though…. Has anyone come across anything like I am describing?  Has anyone heard of Colonel Gaston Bordeverry? From what I can find he was a famous Vaudeville performer from the early 1900’s. Had quite the act as I’ve read.  

Seth
WACA Guest
October 17, 2017 - 12:30 am

I guess not being a member of the group I’m not allowed to post pictures.

Please let me know if I am mistaken because I would love to share

Seth
WACA Guest
October 17, 2017 - 12:31 am

[email protected]

My direct email

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
October 18, 2017 - 12:05 am

Pretty sweet little rifle. Did your research shed any light on the significance of the “18”?

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
December 4, 2017 - 6:33 pm

[email protected] said
So I received my Winchester letter stating that the rifle was 100% created by Winchester and 9 others as well. Numbers 11-20. I have number 18. Has anyone ever seen one of these before? I would like to find out who placed the order? Is that possible? I have the order # in the letter.   

Seth,

Now that you are a WACA member, please post the pictures.

In answer to your question, No, I have not ever seen one of them.  In regards to your question about finding out who placed the order, unfortunately that information is not available in any surviving records.

Bert

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 5, 2017 - 3:05 pm

In answer to your first question, more than likely, but their whereabouts are unknown.  I am unaware of anything in print or in photographs.  With only (10) specimens made, I doubt that anything would have been printed about them.  If it were me, I would scour the internet looking for any mention of another rifle like yours.

Bert

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 12, 2017 - 1:40 am

A fellow WACA member WACA member sent this to me and asked that I post it for him, so here it is…

Bert

“Seth,

Although a WACA member I have been having trouble posting a reply to your email on the WACA site and lost a fairly lengthy reply that I tried to post a couple of weeks ago so before trying again to reply on the WACA site, I will reply to you directly.

A twin to your all nickel 1890 was sold by Rock Island Auction in December 2001. It was Porderererry #17, serial #268238, .22 short with full nickel plating. It appears to have been part of the 1890/90 collection of the Kidd brothers that was sold in that auction. RIAC described #17 as retaining nearly all of its refinished nickel finish and as having its original wood finish in excellent condition. The gun sold for $5,755. Auction estimate was $5k to $8k. It was RIAC lot 2191

Pordererry #17 is also pictured and described a number of times in Volume 1 of Ned Schwing’s book, Winchester Slide Action Rifles. According to Schwing, the inlaid numbers on Pordererry’s 1890s, 1 – 20,  were all inlaid with their respective numbers in silver on the right side of the buttstock, all had deluxe stocks with pistol grip, full nickel finish and were chambered for .22 short. Many of the Kidd brothers’ 1890/90s are pictured in Schwing’s book and Pordererry #17 is pictured and discussed at pp. 160,45 and 233.

According to Schwing, full nickel 1890’s are quite rare: only 73 made between serial numbers 112,000 -322,250 (2nd Model, usually blue finish);. 52 made between serial numbers 15,552 – 112,000 (2nd model, usually case colored finish); and 6 made between serial 1 – 15,552 (First Model, usually case colored). “No data after serial 322,250, but I know of at least one full nickel, deluxe model 90 in the third series as I have one, presumably there are many others although I have not seen one.

According to RIAC 2001 catalog writeup re Pordererry #17: it “was part of the second half of a special group of guns made up for Colonel Gaston Pordererry. He ordered 20 full nickel, pistol grip, checkered stock rifles with one inch silver numbers inlet into the right side of the stock. The factory letter shows that numbers 11 -20 were shipped  January 11, 1906, and that they were not only numbered on the stock, but were in two consecutive serial number groups. The special sights were not mentioned in the factory letter and were thus probably added by the good colonel.” After describing the Schwing material re #17, Rock Island states: Nothing is known of Colonel Pondererry.” It appears that the Rock Island sale included a factory letter for #17.

You have a very interesting and quite rare 1890. I would like to see your photos of your all nickel 1890. Let me know if you are interested in photos of my all nickel 90 and, if so, I will send….I would post on WACA site if I knew how and hope you will post your photos on WACA site as well as I expect there are others who would be interested in seeing your photos. Congratulations on your new 1890. By the way, where did you find it? I watch the auctions pretty closely, particularly for Winchester 1890/90s and didn’t see it come up for sale.

Rick Schreiber”

Alan
WACA Guest
January 29, 2018 - 7:00 pm

Interesting gun! I have an autograph from Bordeverry that would be a nice companion. He was received by Teddy Roosevelt at the White House and while on this trip he was in Denver, CO and signed a card for a hotel worker. Years ago I bought the album that the hotel worker had accumulated and sold all of the autographs except this one as it was the only one related to sports.

If my email doesn’t show in the post I can be reached [email protected]

Thanks, Alan

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
WACA Guest
February 1, 2021 - 4:44 am

I own #17.

I’m thinking about stripping the receiver and looking for any witness engraving and re-plating the gun. The gun has already been re-plated and I think the engraving may be filled with copper.

Any thoughts?

Mark

legendmetals

WACA Guest
February 2, 2021 - 3:42 am

thumbnail_image.pngImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

legendmetals

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, wally, 426crown, Manuel, clarence, Keydet15, TR, Dave M., Jeremy P, Gene Moses
Guest(s) 186
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6365
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2342
twobit: 2295
mrcvs: 1726