Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1890 first model 22 Long (FINALLY!!)
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 884
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 21, 2017 - 8:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

It took 6 long years to finally put the last piece of the 1890 puzzle together. That’s the last one I need to complete my collection and I closed the deal on it yesterday. This will give me one of each caliber in each model for a total of 17. I did end up with a few spares also…….EmbarassedThis one is no beauty queen and will need a full restoration. The price was right in my eyes, as this is a tough one to find.  It is complete and functional with a supposedly good bore of which I am skeptical. I will find out shortly. No big deal if it is not, I will simply install a liner and rechamber while it is torn down for the restoration.  I will post a few pics when I have it in hand. (maybe a few more when it’s finished)

Erin

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
October 21, 2017 - 11:52 pm

Congratulations, it is quite an adventure you have completed. When done, with this restitution, you should think about a display for a WACA show. We sure would love to see it. We would also like a list of all 17, just for general knowledge. Once again, conrats…. what’s next?

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Guest
October 22, 2017 - 12:32 am

Vince said
Congratulations, it is quite an adventure you have completed. When done, with this restitution, you should think about a display for a WACA show. We sure would love to see it. We would also like a list of all 17, just for general knowledge. Once again, conrats…. what’s next?  

Hi Vince,

The list of 17 is as follows:

First models in 22 short, 22 long, 22 WRF

Second models CCH in 22 short, 22 long, 22 WRF

Second models blued in 22 short, 22 long and 22 WRF

Third models in 22 short, 22 long, 22 long rifle and 22 WRF (22 long rifle in a barrel marked 1890 is another very scarce one)

Third models marked Model 90 in 22 short, 22 long, 22 long rifle and 22 WRF

It will probably be about three years until I retire at which point I would love to attend a show and display the batch.  I do have a terrible problem at shows tho…. It always seems, even if I am set up as a vendor I always come home with more than I left with.

As to what is next???????? I am giving this serious consideration. It certainly won’t be 1906’sLaugh Number one, I utterly despise Gumwood stocks and the “economy version” of an 1890 simply does not appeal to me.

I am leaning towards 61’s. The pricing on anything other than a standard (s,l,lr) model will certainly slow my collecting in numbers drastically. I do have a couple of those as starters for the series. A very nice prewar in VG original condition and a later grooved receiver model. But as is with anything else, one must start somewhere…….

Erin

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
October 22, 2017 - 12:41 am

Erin,

What about a Fancy (deluxe) Model 1890 rifle or two? Or one of the rare rifles with a non-standard barrel length? Or one with a factory Stainless Steel barrel? There are all kinds of different Model 1890/90 oddities out there to collect.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
October 22, 2017 - 2:10 am

Bert H. said
Erin,
What about a Fancy (deluxe) Model 1890 rifle or two? Or one of the rare rifles with a non-standard barrel length? Or one with a factory Stainless Steel barrel? There are all kinds of different Model 1890/90 oddities out there to collect.
Bert 

Bert,

I have contemplated that aspect and came to a decision that I am going to stick with the basic models and call it a complete collection of the afore mentioned. (albeit I do have one half nickel model in my batch with a provenance I truly enjoyed hearing from the previous owner) I have completed my goal which I set and really have no desire to chase 1890’s any further. There would be no end If one pursued all the oddities, deluxes, engraved, plated, etc. etc. I have read and researched extensively on the topic and I feel I need to expand my horizons at this point. My son knows he will be the beneficiary of this collection and informed him if he wishes to expand the collection with deluxe models, all my research info is available to him at no additional charge.WinkIf he chooses not to do so, I believe he will enjoy it just the way it is for many years to come. I did inform him he would get off easy as there are no deluxe first models to chase………..

Best,

Erin

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
October 22, 2017 - 3:22 am

Congrats, looking forward to the pics!

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
October 27, 2017 - 10:02 pm

TXGunNut said
Congrats, looking forward to the pics!  

I should have them posted on 11/2. The rifle showed up at home yesterday! I just have to get there to check it out……. I have 2 more days of field work, 3 days at the vessel base and then home.

Best,

Erin

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: winchester73, deerhunter, clarence, Zebulon, Chris Scott, Wisota
Guest(s) 167
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2342
twobit: 2295
mrcvs: 1726