Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 17, 2018 - 4:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello, I am a new member and just wanting to get my feet wet with my first post. I have been collecting 1890’s for many years and used to talk with George Madis late at night about some of the rifles that I had found. Now , I have to rely on the books that George wrote to check on some of the answers that I seek. My collection is nowhere near being completed, but I do have some interesting guns! For the time being, none of them are for sale, just looking for opinions from fellow collectors. I have a very late model 90 that has a round barrel in 22 long rifle that has serial number 853,963 stamped on it. It also has no tang markings at all, which according to George Madis’s hand book, he says is correct. All of my books have lower serial numbers than what this rife has, so I am wondering what you think about this. The rifle is in 90% plus condition, I can add pictures later if needed. Thanks!

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
January 17, 2018 - 8:47 pm

Wayne McCants said

Hello, I am a new member and just wanting to get my feet wet with my first post. I have been collecting 1890’s for many years and used to talk with George Madis late at night about some of the rifles that I had found. Now , I have to rely on the books that George wrote to check on some of the answers that I seek. My collection is nowhere near being completed, but I do have some interesting guns! For the time being, none of them are for sale, just looking for opinions from fellow collectors. I have a very late model 90 that has a round barrel in 22 long rifle that has serial number 853,963 stamped on it. It also has no tang markings at all, which according to George Madis’s hand book, he says is correct. All of my books have lower serial numbers than what this rife has, so I am wondering what you think about this. The rifle is in 90% plus condition, I can add pictures later if needed. Thanks!  

Hello Wayne, and welcome to the WACA.

Your Model 90 rifle with serial number 853963 was one of the 8,725 parts clean rifle rifles that were assembled between February 6th, 1933 and November 23rd, 1949.  More than likely the barrel is only 23-inches long (Winchester used Model 62/62A barrels for some of the late production Model 90 rifles).  The serial number on your rifle indicates that the receiver was manufactured in June of 1942.  The barrel should have a 2-digit year number stamped on the bottom of it near the receiver frame that will give us a better idea of when the rifle was assembled.

There is a specific research survey in progress to document as many of the late production Model 90/06/62/62A rifles as can be found and identified.  See this topic link – https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-research-survey-discussion/model-90-06-62-62a-survey/

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 18, 2018 - 12:12 am

Welcome, Wayne! I bought my first 1890 last year and I’m beginning to understand your attraction to this little jewel. I’m looking forward to your posts about your collection and would like to hear more about your friend George Madis. I know that some of his writings have been disputed but I’d venture there isn’t a Winchester collector alive that hasn’t or can’t learn something from his efforts. 

By all means, post pics of your 1890’s if you have them. I like pics even though I suck at taking and posting them.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
January 18, 2018 - 1:31 am

The barrel is 23 inches long, but I could not see anything stamped on the barrel without removing the magazine tube. I currently don’t have any pictures of this rifle to share. I just wanted to see if anyone had seen or heard of any higher serial number than this one.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
January 18, 2018 - 1:43 am

Wayne McCants said
The barrel is 23 inches long, but I could not see anything stamped on the barrel without removing the magazine tube. I currently don’t have any pictures of this rifle to share. I just wanted to see if anyone had seen or heard of any higher serial number than this one.  

Yes, I know of (1) Model 90 with a higher serial number – 854021.  Additionally, there is a Model 06 with a higher number – 854519.  I suspect that more will be found as the survey continues.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
January 20, 2018 - 1:14 am

I have a late model 90…number 847331 and the octagon long rifle barrel is crowned….it is factory…not flat at the muzzle….never been reblued

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 94
January 20, 2018 - 5:27 pm

[email protected] said
I have a late model 90…number 847331 and the octagon long rifle barrel is crowned….it is factory…not flat at the muzzle….never been reblued  

Thanks for the contribution to our production survey. Your rifle dates to June 1934.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Maverick, 33wcf, mrcvs, JWA, Manuel, Edward Kitner
Guest(s) 199
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261