Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Tale of Two 9422’s
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4968
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 7, 2022 - 9:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Long ago on a little farm not far from here I fired my first Winchester levergun. It was a sweet little 9422XTR in 22LR. Last night I was checking out the new arrivals at the orphanage and noticed they had a 9422 and 9422M. I’ve made a point of avoiding them in my short collecting career as they’re not “real” Winchesters, not even real 94’s. I picked up some fodder for my social equipment and went on my way without giving them another thought….at least until I got home. 

I’ve been noticing the 9422’s were developing a bit of a collector following and the prices seem to be climbing at an almost alarming rate. I queried Bert and did a bit of market research, seems they were priced fairly but only if in extremely good condition. I decided to make another pass by the orphanage and if one was in exceptionally nice condition I’d scratch that 50 year old 9422 itch. 

As usual, things didn’t go according to plan. The 9422M is an early non-XTR with what appears to be gumwood stocks in about 95% condition. The 9422 is a very attractive XTR in 98% condition. Tough call. As both orphans were new arrivals the manager wasn’t willing to budge on the price until I told him I might be interested in both. He gave me $100 off on the pair and I was glad I had a couple of extra gun socks stashed in the back seat!

Mike

E27D18B4-DF3F-43B7-852D-C55633A16DBE.jpegImage Enlarger

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6280
August 7, 2022 - 9:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

TXGunNut said I’ve made a point of avoiding them in my short collecting career as they’re not “real” Winchesters, not even real 94’s.

My feelings too–just another “modern gun.”  If you ever get the chance, Mike, compare them to a Model 39 Marlin. 

WACA Member
August 7, 2022 - 9:45 pm

clarence said

TXGunNut said I’ve made a point of avoiding them in my short collecting career as they’re not “real” Winchesters, not even real 94’s.

My feelings too–just another “modern gun.”  If you ever get the chance, Mike, compare them to a Model 39 Marlin. 

Gee, Clarence! You said the “M” word! Wink

There are a few things I like about the 39 but these 9422’s are slick, handy little rifles and to my eye the XTR is a very handsome rifle with exceptional fit and finish. A little while back I decided to focus on Winchesters and as a result I only have modern “M” word rifles. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1382
August 7, 2022 - 9:54 pm

Mike,

Great acquisitions. I wish my local orphanage would have something worthwhile to look at but the selection has been slim for some time now.  I had twelve new in the box 9422’s in both lr and magnum and sold them all and made money on each of them.  I kept one very early 4 digit serial number that is new in the box with all the paperwork.  I got it from an estate and the round Winchester sticker sealing the box was still sealed. These are very well made little .22’s, and I read somewhere that the receiver is based on the model 61 receivers, but they got too expensive to keep producing.  That early 9422M that you bought has a walnut stock but just plain grain.

Al

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
August 7, 2022 - 10:25 pm

I’ve never owned a M9422 but I know they have developed a strong following among shooters and now collectors.  I have seen various models bring very impressive collector prices.  It seems there are a dizzying array of variations, special editions etc. that span quite a period of time now.  These weren’t around when I bought my first .22 with my own money.  It was a Winchester Model 270 and it was a real piece of crap.  I bought it brand new at a local hardware store.  It jammed often and I was so green at the time that I didn’t even know you could bring something back and complain about it.  

I realize the hazards in consorting with the Marlin crowd, but I have to agree with Clarence’s praise for the Marlin Model 39.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 550
August 7, 2022 - 11:07 pm

Mike, you are making me feel I should be donating to the local orphanage. Don’t apologize for your caring attitude for these poor lost souls. They all need a home. If they came my way the grand kids would be HAPPY!   

WACA Member
August 8, 2022 - 12:08 am

oldcrankyyankee said
Mike, you are making me feel I should be donating to the local orphanage. Don’t apologize for your caring attitude for these poor lost souls. They all need a home. If they came my way the grand kids would be HAPPY!   

I do feel it’s the right thing to do from time to time, Tom. These are likely siblings as both are missing the front sight hood and showed up at the same time. Orphanage changed their merchandise codes as part of the Johnny Morris takeover and I’m no longer able to decipher them. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
NY
WACA Member
August 8, 2022 - 12:24 am

TXGunNut said These are likely siblings as both are missing the front sight hood and showed up at the same time.

That at least suggests they were owned by someone who knew how to shoot; a hood would be useful in trench warfare or snowstorms, but otherwise, I find them a distraction.

WACA Member
August 8, 2022 - 2:06 am

Agreed, Clarence. Those hoods seem to wind up in my parts box, especially when using peep sights. 

For those of you keeping score at home the 9422M SN F59092 was built in 1972, the 9422 XTR SN F405601 was built in 1980, courtesy of our friends over on RFC. Both cleaned up amazingly well, the 9422M has a few very handling marks on the wood and a wear mark where the lever contacts the lower tang and another spot where the top of the barrel apparently rubbed a gun rack. Haven’t found a mark on the XTR. 

Al, I think a considerable amount of time was spent polishing these 9422’s. You’ve seen many more than I have, would you agree? The blued parts are simply beautiful. I read that passage about the action being based on the 61 and I think that’s at least partly true after looking at the takedown system. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1382
August 8, 2022 - 1:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

TXGunNut said
Agreed, Clarence. Those hoods seem to wind up in my parts box, especially when using peep sights. 

For those of you keeping score at home the 9422M SN F59092 was built in 1972, the 9422 XTR SN F405601 was built in 1980, courtesy of our friends over on RFC. Both cleaned up amazingly well, the 9422M has a few very handling marks on the wood and a wear mark where the lever contacts the lower tang and another spot where the top of the barrel apparently rubbed a gun rack. Haven’t found a mark on the XTR. 

Al, I think a considerable amount of time was spent polishing these 9422’s. You’ve seen many more than I have, would you agree? The blued parts are simply beautiful. I read that passage about the action being based on the 61 and I think that’s at least partly true after looking at the takedown system. 

Mike

Mike,

Yes, the factory took extra time and care when polishing the 9422. Every one of the one’s that I have seen are beautifully polished.

I collected 9422’s when I first got into Winchesters because they were still relatively affordable.  I believe that interest in these will increase because compared to most pre-64’s are still somewhat affordable for new in box condition models, and are attractive to younger collectors who are just getting into the hobby.

Al

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2323
August 8, 2022 - 3:34 pm

There are certainly many for sale on various web sites. I bought a near mint Trapper a few years ago for $700, and then a few others for less $$$. I still have the Trapper and would not sell it for any $$$. I put a saddle ring on it and it is a real cutie. Is very accurate with a 16 1/2″ bbl. Yes, The M39 is a nice rifle if you can find an early gun with condition, but you will pay a bunch for one. I gave mine away to my Great Grandson. Big Larry

NY
WACA Member
August 8, 2022 - 3:55 pm

Big Larry said
 I still have the Trapper and would not sell it for any $$$. I put a saddle ring on it and it is a real cutie.

If that one ever winds up at Rock Island, their “experts” will declare it to be a one of a kind prototype that never went into production, or make up some other choice piece of hype to justify a high price estimate.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2323
August 8, 2022 - 7:38 pm

I learned many years ago not to trust RIA. Sitting by them at the Big Reno Show, my group and I got many laughs. Big Larry

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
August 9, 2022 - 6:26 pm

I suppose there are collectors who focus on these.  And assuming so, surely some must be intent of having one of every possible variation.  How many would that be?  I know they started making them in 1972.  I recall there were ultimately three chamberings – .22, .22 mag and .17.  Winchester made them up until 2005 and then U.S. Repeating Arms took over?  And there were walnut, synthetic stock and laminated wood versions – anything else?  Checkered versions – XTR versions, different barrel lengths and how many commemorative?  What a collector challenge this would be.  Anyone here attempting it or know of anyone doing it?

WACA Member
August 10, 2022 - 1:18 am

Steve-

I don’t believe I’ll be looking for any more, don’t think the later ones have the same quality but I could be wrong. OTOH I might be interested in a shooter but another shooter would be pretty silly at this point. Started watching them a few years back when my brother expressed an interest in a Boy Scout or Eagle Scout commemorative. We’re both Eagles but neither of us want to pay what the tariff seems to be. I’ve been noticing more collector interest and it seems the 9422 could appeal to the commemorative or post-64 collector as well as the plinkers. I doubt there’s less than a dozen variations so that could keep someone busy for awhile. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: antler1, Aussie Chris, Steven Gabrielli
Guest(s) 79
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4968
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280