Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Strange looking 1894
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 30, 2015 - 1:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Just got home from the Michigan Antique arms show in Novi Mi. A fella there was displaying a Mod. 94 in the 100,000 ser# range that letters with the following features; cal. 30 26″ oct. bbl., (full mag.) plain trig., pist. grip., fancy stock, checkered,(XX wood), rod in butt (cres. butt), and yes the 4 piece rod is in there, but get this, it has a 31/2″ drop in the stock. I guess that’s what they meant by a “fancy stock”. Any ways it sure is a different looking rascal. This gun is definately a rare bird  that is in nice cond. and I wish it were hangin’ on my rack.   Henry

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
November 30, 2015 - 1:42 am

Henry,

The “Fancy Stock” notation in the ledger and on the factory letter refers to the 2X wood. The special dimension for the drop in the stock should have been mentioned as a separate item.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 356
November 30, 2015 - 2:20 am

Hi,

Years ago I remember seeing a Deluxe 94 at a local gun show that looked like a bent rear tang to the right. I thought it must have happened in a fall.

After an article in the Collector some time ago, this was special order. Live and learn.

Walter Blake

WACA Member
November 30, 2015 - 1:57 pm

This gun is absolutely correct as the stock and butt plate actually ser# to the gun , We had it apart.  I believe the “fancy stock “notation refers to the stock configuration and this is why I think that. I have had in My collection a 94 with a cheek piece , that ser#’ to the gun that had the same “fancy stock” notation in the letter. Also I had a 23″ rifle with a “plain pistol grip”  that was 1″ longer than standard and it was denoted in the letter as “easy pull”. I currently have 32 deluxe 94,s in various configurations with 2x and 3x wood, not one of them mentions “fancy stock”. On the other hand every  one I have with plain wood letter,s “plain pistol grip” or “checkered stock with pistol grip”. I can’t recall ever seeing a 94 letter that denotes xx or xxx wood for a stock, in fact I believe they usually mention plain wood, on a deluxe gun rather than the deluxe wood as deluxe wood ,would have been the normal on a deluxe gun and plain wood being the exception. Just sayin,            Henry

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
November 30, 2015 - 3:12 pm

Henry,

I agree with Bert that the “Fancy Stock” means it had a better wood grade and does not refer to a feature on the stock like drop or a cheek piece. The ledgers seldom noted the wood grade of gun with better than plain wood and bulk of the guns that letter with “Fancy Stock” do not have other unusual features. In the 73’s I have seen the letter state the X grade of the wood.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
November 30, 2015 - 9:48 pm

Bob   As you know after several years of collecting Winchesters nothing is cut in stone when it comes to ledgers and their interpretation. We have only experience and educated observations to go by. Thank heavens for the folks who take the time to put together the various surveys and the research for these fine old guns. But We have to keep an open mind when it comes to the interpretation of the current information that,s available to Us . The 94 I had with the cheek piece has a straight grain walnut stock that #,d to the gun with a shotgun butt plate . Strange but as I say We are still finding variances in production features of 94,s.          Henry

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: tsbccut, SureShot
Guest(s) 50
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261