Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
New Winchester Book On Old 1895 Lever Actions
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 182
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 13, 2019 - 2:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

This book is a quality publication with lots of information pictures and charts. It is nice to get some exposure in the new Winchester 1895 book by Rob Kassab and Brad Dunbar.  It is a select group of people that admire and shoot the 1895 Winchester. I have shared some of this enthusiasm with them and Rob and Brad felt it was worthy of their new book…

http://i.imgur.com/PnBfXFv.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i.imgur.com/sD5l5QX.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i.imgur.com/9Kx4c3A.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 825
July 13, 2019 - 2:43 pm

Have the book on order at the present time.Just waiting for it to be become available and arrive at my door.Smile

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
July 13, 2019 - 8:26 pm

Hope to get mine soon…

Forum Posts: 2110
July 13, 2019 - 10:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I couldn’t wait for snail mail so I picked up mine at the Cody show and it is an awesome book!  Kudos to Brad and Rob.

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
July 14, 2019 - 5:54 am

Wish I could have gone to Cody to visit with you, Jeff…..and pick up my copy of Brad and Rob’s book. May just wander into town to check my mailbox….just in case. Have a great show and a safe trip home.

Thanks for the teaser and review, Kirk. Are you in Cody? Hope to catch you another time to talk Winchesters, Whitney/Kennedy/Burgess rifles and Greasy Grass.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Posts: 2110
July 14, 2019 - 1:37 pm

I already paid for my table for next year, hope to see you guys there!

Rob and Brad sold out all the books they brought (except for the one they graciously donated to the WACA raffle) so it was a resounding success.

I am sure the mail ordered books will be along shortly.

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Forum Posts: 956
July 15, 2019 - 12:53 am

Hey guys,

It’s always great to see Shrapnel and everyone at Cody.  The show is a great place to meet up with friends and the WACA events at the BBCOTW on Friday and Saturday evening are superb.  It’s a great time.

Rob and I were overwhelmed with the enthusiasm for the book at the show.  Our goal had always been to have the book available there and we were very fortunate to get a small number of books to Cody in time—directly from the printer via UPS.  We plan to start shipping the preorders ASAP.  We’re really appreciative of the kind words.

A number of important contributors to our book were at the show.  We’re very thankful to everyone for their help along the way, and we hope everyone enjoys their books when they receive them.

Hope to see you all at Cody next year!

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Member
July 16, 2019 - 2:09 am

I’m glad the book is doing so well for you, hope this is just the beginning.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
July 17, 2019 - 11:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thanks Mike

It’s been an encouraging start.    

It was neat to see quite a few of the people who sent us images of their 1895s or the book.  Sometimes we may have just used an image of the sight or a barrel address, or other times the whole rifle was featured.  We were very fortunate to have received help from many collectors, and some authors too.  Our great friend Dan Shuey was at the show.  Mike Carrick, who authored the chapter on the Russian Contract Muskets, was there with his historic air rifle display.  Our friend Luke Mercaldo, author of the super book Allied Rifle Contracts in America,  was also there.  Luke was a big help in reading and offering suggestions for our book as we were writing it.  Phil Schreier gave an excellent presentation Theodore Rossevelt’s 1895s on Saturday night at the WACA banquet.  He did a great job writing a chapter for our book on the same subject.  And there were just a bunch of fine people there that always make that show weekend better than you think it is going to be. Hopefully it works out for more of you to make it to Cody next year.

PS: There were no Big Red sightings in the parking lot, and no ominous cloud of black exhaust.  Maybe next year…

Regards

Brad Dunbar

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
July 17, 2019 - 2:38 pm

Brad Dunbar said

PS: There were no Big Red sightings in the parking lot, and no ominous cloud of black exhaust.  Maybe next year…  

Rest assured… Big Red will be back next year (albeit a little older and more tired).

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1268
July 17, 2019 - 2:59 pm

Ok, have to admit I actually laughed out loud ……. hadn’t heard the Big Red reference for a few years. Yes Brad, the air quality was much better this year in Cody.

But seriously Brad, congratulations on a job well done with the book. It was well received by all and I’m proud to call you and Rob friends of mine. Now that you’ve likely influenced the ’95 prices to go higher, I better start looking for one to fill the gap again. You know I like to buy high and sell low!

Cheers……

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
July 17, 2019 - 5:34 pm

Bert H. said

Rest assured… Big Red will be back next year (albeit a little older and more tired).

Bert  

You should have seen “little red.”

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 182
July 17, 2019 - 6:05 pm

I have been attending Cody gun shows for many years and both Brad and Rob have been friendly and shared information an many guns and sights that I have been using for decades. Both Rob and Brad are great people and I appreciate their input on many things I have been doing with these old Winchesters. Rob is also a great photographer and has assisted me in a few pictures that I have taken for publication in magazines, books and calendars.

To Brad and Rob, a sincere thank you for your dedication to all these old guns and those of us that like, collect and shoot them…

July 17, 2019 - 9:05 pm

Thanks for the kind words Kirk.  We were glad you sent the great images too!

Kirk’s octagon barreled 40-72 is a neat rifle, especially since he knows where it was shipped.  That information is seldom found in the warehouse ledgers for the Model 1895.  It would be great if the cards from warehouse card system for the model were available, but the only four we currently know of belong with one of TR’s special order 405 Sporting Rifles.  We do have a lead on where some other 1895s were shipped during the ledger years however, and cover it in the book.  I think we’ll be able to get an even more detailed magazine article on that subject in the future.

Regards

Brad Dunbar

WACA Member
July 18, 2019 - 2:00 am

Bert H. said

Bert  

My red truck should return next year as well. It stays well rested and is pretty nimble and quick when it needs to be.  😉 Doesn’t have quite the character of Big Red, tho.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Los Angeles
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 379
July 19, 2019 - 3:52 pm

Woot! Just got my shipping notification. Very excited to get some quality time with this book. Thanks in advance to Brad and Rob and others that contribute to this sort of documentation.

Steve

WACA Member. CFM Member. NRA Lifer.

July 19, 2019 - 7:07 pm

Excellent Steve, thank you.

Our main book shipment arrived from the printer this morning and we are now printing labels and packaging books.  

We’re looking forward to everyone receiving their orders in the near future.  Thanks again!

Regards

Brad Dunbar

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 17
July 25, 2019 - 2:32 am

This is a great book so well done and I have no regret buying it.it was well worth the wait.just got my copy today looked it over but haven’t had time to start reading it yet.get a copy before they are gone.thanks  to rob and brad excellent work.john

July 25, 2019 - 11:54 pm

Thanks a lot John.  We’re glad to hear that you received your book and I hope you enjoy it!

Regards

Brad Dunbar

WACA Member
July 26, 2019 - 4:48 pm

Got my book yesterday.  Just had a few moments to flip through it.  Well put together and a lot of details and pictures.  I will add it to the 2 books I am currently trying to finish reading.

Thanks guys.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: tx4445, Burt Humphrey, Chuck, deerhunter, Tedk, Blueliner, Jeremy P, Paul K
Guest(s) 22
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2291
TR: 1710