Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 26, 2019 - 7:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Not a Winchester, not an original Henry either.

Anyone here had any experiences with one of these current Henrys? I just bought one in 44 WCF.

They seem to be a well put together rifle by the Henry rifle firm.    Big Larry        New-Henry-Rifle.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
September 26, 2019 - 9:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I don’t have any experience with them.  However, I want one.  But I want the one you put the picture up for.  I can’t stand the bulky, blocky and, from my perspective, ugly, new ones.  But those old-looking ones are beauties.  And, they are all made right here in America.  And from what I’ve heard, they are top quality.  I do not know the relationship between the old and the new Henry, or if there even is one, but having the name on there would be better than “Cimarron” or what have you. 

I wish their .22 was as good-looking as their traditional .44-40.

Congratulations!  Did you go 44-40 or .45?  Let us know how it cycles and shoots.

WACA Member
September 27, 2019 - 12:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

As noted above, 44 WCF.  There is NO connection with B Tyler Henrys original. I have had no experience with Henry rifles. I didn’t like the 22 as it seemed to be too tinny, so I bought a 94-22 and never looked back. The revues on the Henry 44 have all been good so far. I reload 44-40’s, so I can tailor a load for this rifle that is not as hot as my Winchester M1892 loads. Factory loads are very pricey for shooting cans, bottles, and targets. I do not hunt. Big Larry

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6389
September 28, 2019 - 10:01 pm

Good revue of the company & all its products in the new (Oct) Rifleman. 

Hey Larry, was a pair of sunglasses included with your rifle?  That’s how bright the receiver looks in the photo. I’d prefer (if I were going to buy one) the iron-framed model.

WACA Member
September 29, 2019 - 3:41 pm

Didn’t care for the cheap looking color case on the iron frame. The silver plated engraved one did catch my eye, but a lot of $$$.

This one will spend most of its time hanging on one of my walls. I load 44 WCF, but do not shoot my M92’s or M53 very often either. I am still hung up on my 22’s. Got a good deal on this. List for over $2,600 and paid $1,700+ for this one. I just hope it has some nice figure in the wood as some of these do. Have to be very careful of my reloads. The M92/53 loads are much hotter than I want to run through the Henry.   Big Larry

WACA Guest
September 30, 2019 - 3:51 am

I’m curious as to the differences and similarities, if any, between their name, serial numbers, address, fonts, location, etc. between your new Henry and the old originals.  Any light you could shed, or pictures, would be appreciated. 

WACA Member
September 30, 2019 - 3:16 pm

I don’t have an original to draw info from. They just say, outside the caliber change, they are pretty much identical.

Pics when I get the rifle. They are slow to ship.   Thanks, Big Larry

WACA Guest
September 30, 2019 - 6:15 pm

Thanks, Big Larry.  I’m envious.  May have to break out the piggy bank. Laugh

WACA Member
September 30, 2019 - 6:33 pm

Huck Riley said
Thanks, Big Larry.  I’m envious.  May have to break out the piggy bank. Laugh  

Huck, this was the best price I could find. $9.99 shipping, if you can believe that. UPS too. Just got notice they are ready to ship. I have a friend that owns a pawn shop so there will be no additional charges. Funny that my C&R does not cover a firearm that is virtually identical to a 160 year old rifle. The ATF works in mysterious ways. Should be here this week so I will know more. First off, to the outback, and shoot a few cans and bottles.   Big LarryCoolCoolCool

WACA Member
October 7, 2019 - 6:53 pm

Rifle arrived. Beautiful to say the least. Great figure in the walnut stock and very well fitted too, as well as the buttplate. Worksmanship on thir rifle is superb. Even my housekeeper said it was very pretty. As soon as I can get the bore dimentions, I will load up some ammo for it. It’s either .427 or .430. I am betting on .430. I will probably fire maybe 50 rds out of it and hang it on the wall. That is the main reason I bought it. I have 5 other 44-40’s to shoot. Big Larry

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
October 8, 2019 - 2:46 am

Congrats! Hope it’s as nice a rifle as the reports I’ve heard and read. Workmanship on the ones I’ve seen is quite good.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: XLIV, 426crown, bhutch, deerhunter, Nevada Paul, Kris Miller, Jeremy P
Guest(s) 204
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727