Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
My NWMP Winchester 1876 Carbine
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 853
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 8, 2021 - 1:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’ve wanted an original North West Mounted Police Winchester 1876 SRC for many years, since I grew up in western Canada with tales of the Mounted Police, and have traveled the prairies very many times. You’ve seen this particular one before, but now I’m the proud owner of this amazing piece of history.

NWMP-Desktop-Photo.jpgImage Enlarger

Cody Museum Information:  This particular carbine sn 24032 was received in the warehouse on May 17, 1882 and shipped the very next day, order number 32602. It letters with ‘good quality’ wood, Spanish meter rear sights, and ‘large shank’ (beefed up receiver where the barrel screws in – apparently, the Mounties put their carbines to hard use and the standard factory carbines broke where the barrel screwed into the receiver, so they requested a stronger shank.

According to Herbert Houze’s book The Winchester Model 1876 “Centennial” Rifle, there were only a total of 447 carbines shipped with ‘good quality’ stocks.

An accompanying letter from retired RCMP Inspector D.J. Klancher confirms that this carbine was part of an order for 182 carbines shipped to the NWMP on May 18, 1882. Also an inventory done in 1894 and again in 1897 shows this carbine was on charge to “C” Division at Fort Battleford. Where it was between 1882 and 1894 depends upon whether the carbine was issued to Fort Battleford, or to “C” Division, which would have been stationed at Fort MacLeod in 1882 and didn’t move to Fort Battleford until 1886. If it was at Fort Battleford then it was very likely at the Battle of Cutknife in 1885. This carbine still retains the original ‘NWMP’ cartouche lightly stamped into the right side of the buttstock.

An interesting detail on this carbine is an area of bruised wood on the underside of the forearm immediately forward of the receiver. Old photos and drawings show that sometimes the NWMP rode with the carbine crossways on the front of their saddle. This bruised area, which you can see in the photo, is a sign that it was once carried that way on horseback sometimes. Typically, the NWMP rode an average of 1,000 miles per year while on patrol, although I don’t know who would have taken the time to figure all that out.

NWMP-Saddle-Bruising.jpgImage Enlarger

I have to say that I am absolutely thrilled to own this piece of western Canadian history, and have passed through the Battleford area more times than I can remember. Just to hold this carbine in my hands and feel the history of western Canada in my hands is something I never thought I’d experience but it has finally come home to this prairie son.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4962
June 8, 2021 - 1:43 am

Congrats, Kirk. Knowing so much of the history makes a nice carbine even more special.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10719
June 8, 2021 - 2:05 am

Kirk,

That is indeed a Very nice looking NWMP Carbine! CoolCool

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
June 8, 2021 - 4:21 am

Congrats Kirk on a great looking carbine.  Looking forward to seeing how she prints on paper–hint hint

Chris

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 823
June 8, 2021 - 9:56 am

Kirk ,you always seem to get the most interesting of rifles.SmileLooking forward to hearing more on the rifle ,when you get a chance to shoot it.

Eastern Iowa
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 272
June 8, 2021 - 12:24 pm

Very nifty! That wood is outstanding.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1709
June 8, 2021 - 12:43 pm

Kirk, A gun with known history is special, add the saddle wear and you can feel the history. Thanks for sharing. T/R

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 298
June 8, 2021 - 1:02 pm

Kirk, Congratulations on now being the caretaker of a truly significant piece of Canadiana and Winchester history. I have travelled the west many times exploring the old NWMP and HBC (my first employer) establishments. The RCMP museum in Regina and Fort McLeod are a must see for anyone interested in the RCMP history.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 504
June 8, 2021 - 6:46 pm

Very special gun.

RickC
WACA Guest
June 9, 2021 - 12:31 am

Very nice NWMP carbine Kirk. I think I’ve seen it before ?

RickC

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
June 9, 2021 - 1:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Beauty Kirk. Best wood I’ve seen on a NWMP carbine. 

Matt

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1381
June 9, 2021 - 2:34 am

Kirk,

Great looking NWMP carbine, and history to go with it.  Thanks for sharing.

Al

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1071
June 9, 2021 - 5:50 pm

Kirk; Nice gun, I had the pleasure of taking care of it for spell and it is a nice piece. Congrats

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 853
June 10, 2021 - 3:15 am

Glad you all can enjoy this old carbine once again, and for some of you who have had the pleasure of taking care of it for a while, I’m very happy to join the ranks. It might be parked under my care for quite a while. 🙂

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6273
TXGunNut: 4962
Chuck: 4558
1873man: 4276
steve004: 4154
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2289