Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1894 22" Semi Deluxe Takedown
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 1, 2015 - 4:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Just picked this up Tuesday from a small collection in Washington state.  Love the “curb appeal”!

1894-Right-Profile-small.jpgImage EnlargerLeft-Profile-small.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Life Benefactor Member

NRA Life Member

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 163
May 1, 2015 - 5:36 pm

Hi There Rick,,,,,,:hi:

I would have liked to be the Person that Ordered that one Back in the Day,,

It’s a Beauty for Sure………..:thumbsup:

"I Would Have Rather Lived Through The Industrial Revaluation"

"Instead of The Space Age"

From

The Twilight Zone

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
May 1, 2015 - 5:45 pm

Rick Hill said

Just picked this up Tuesday from a small collection in Washington state.  Love the “curb appeal”!

1894-Right-Profile-small.jpgImage EnlargerLeft-Profile-small.jpgImage Enlarger

Rick,

Very nice semi deluxe. Looks really nice with the short barrel.

Al

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
May 1, 2015 - 5:47 pm

Hi Rick

Great looking short rifle, I think I need that one for my collection. Also, its a new one to add to my 1894 short rifle database.

BTW – got your email too……thanks for sharing.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Oregon
WACA Member
May 1, 2015 - 7:02 pm

Gary:

I’ll be taking it to Denver………….

NRA Life Member

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 163
May 1, 2015 - 7:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hey Rick,

Correct me if I am wrong but,,

I would Classify that Rifle, as a Deluxe, being it is a Checkered Pistol Grip and Forend, Plus all the Other Special Order Features. Or is it Because of the Standard Grade Wood it appears to be, that it’s a Semi Deluxe. Plus if that is the case, then the Person would have had to Ordered it with Straight Grain Wood. Instead of the Factory Adding Extra Finish Wood at No Cost…..:confused013:

"I Would Have Rather Lived Through The Industrial Revaluation"

"Instead of The Space Age"

From

The Twilight Zone

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
May 2, 2015 - 5:09 am

Hokie,

Not to answer for Rick, but my observations have been that a large number of collectors consider the cheaper “I” checkering pattern combined with plain wood as a “semi-deluxe” compared to the “H” style of checkering and fancy grain (maybe 1X or higher) to be a true deluxe gun. Ricks example would likely letter as “Plain, pistol grip, checkered”. I also see others calling a pistol grip gun with no checkering a semi-deluxe, but I think that’s a stretch for the term. Since the word Deluxe wasn’t used in catalog descriptions of the Winchesters until much later, like the M71 era (I think), I guess its more of a collectors term that has developed over the years and will vary from one individual to the next.

This all being said, its a darn nice looking 1894 with some desirable upgrades. I think any Winchester with a pistol grip and checked stocks adds that extra curb appeal, as Rick calls it.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Oregon
WACA Member
May 2, 2015 - 1:26 pm

Gary:

Well said my friend.  Yes, both terms “deluxe” and “semi-deluxe”  are collector jargon and were not used by Winchester.  The plain wood with the “I” checking adds up to “semi-deluxe”.  The pistol grip is simply an additional special order feature.Cody-Warehouse-Data-Sheet.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

NRA Life Member

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
May 2, 2015 - 3:01 pm

Now, I always considered a rifle with a pistol grip but no checkering to be ‘semi-deluxe’.  Once you add checkering, in my opinion, it becomes ‘deluxe’, whether or not the wood is simple straight-grained walnut, or 1X, or 3X, etc.  If a rifle were to have a straight grip and no checkering, but fancy walnut (if such a rifle exists–any 3X straight gripped rifles out there with no checkering), I would not consider it ‘deluxe’, it has a special order walnut stock.  Likewise, for checkering with no pistol grip, although, 90%+ of the time, this was done after leaving the factory. 

Having stated the aforementioned, I have NEVER liked the terms deluxe, semi-deluxe, etc.  Far better to say it is a rifle with a pistol grip and H style checkering.  Then you KNOW what it is or isn’t.  I have said MANY times, about this and other matters, that the terms deluxe, luxury, gourmet, etc. are not in my vocabulary.

Forum Posts: 960
May 3, 2015 - 12:16 am

Rick Hill said

Gary:

Gary might have a Marlin for you in trade….

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
May 3, 2015 - 2:22 am

hedley lamarr said

Rick Hill said

Gary:

Gary might have a Marlin for you in trade….

As a matter of fact, I do……………probably could work out a straight across trade, worst case scenario I could throw in about $100 boot to spice up the deal for Rick so he feels like he won.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
May 3, 2015 - 6:21 am

OK, I need to step in and set the record straight… there is NO such thing as a “straight across” trade for a Winchester when a “Marlin” is used.  The absolute best a marlin owner should expect is a 2-for-one tradeWink  A marlin is a second class gun at best, and from my personal experience, they are best used as Tomato stakes in your vegetable gardenLaugh

Bert

p.s. If I offended any marlin owners… good, I achieved my objective!!!

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Oregon
WACA Member
May 3, 2015 - 1:15 pm

All of you guys are really cruel.  I’ve owned a bunch of Marlins over the years and lost money on every one…………………

NRA Life Member

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
May 3, 2015 - 2:47 pm

Bert H. said

OK, I need to step in and set the record straight… there is NO such thing as a “straight across” trade for a Winchester when a “Marlin” is used.  The absolute best a marlin owner should expect is a 2-for-one tradeWink  A marlin is a second class gun at best, and from my personal experience, they are best used as Tomato stakes in your vegetable gardenLaugh

Bert

p.s. If I offended any marlin owners… good, I achieved my objective!!!

With regards to pre-1899 Marlins, and pre-1899 Winchesters, the quality is definitely “there” when it comes to Marlins, and the workmanship is not of lesser quality.  From an investment point of view, you are better off buying the Winchester, as they will forever be more desireable, and, they at least keep up with inflation, if not soundly exceeding it.  A comparable Marlin will likely increase over time, but at a much slower rate and it will take you much longer to recoup your investment if you pay retail.

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
May 3, 2015 - 3:41 pm

I agree about vintage Marlins I havent had many , but 1893’s and 27S pumps in 25-20. All were bought because appearance was nice original little used condition (like you all know an equivalent  Winchester would be like new in function , no matter how old) but all Marlins Ive had had serious design flaws and function issues

Phil

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rat Rod Mac
Guest(s) 221
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600