Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Looking for details on 1873 Serial number 185990R
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 3, 2019 - 3:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi,

new to the forum and from down under (  Australia )and still finding my way around.

I came across a Winchester 1873 saddle ring carbine in 44WCF. A toggle was broken so I gave it to a gunsmith to repair. He said it is well used and also did a minor repair to where the front of the lever touches the action. Not what I wanted as my wish was to keep it original as much as possible. 

I have included a link to some pic of the rifle and would appreciate some information on the rifle and whether it has any value and worth getting a Factory Letter. Date made, Model, Value etc.

Serial number 185990R Link to pics   https://1drv.ms/f/s!Au-BigIqc0Pegk9K6SyW_KlUrEFJ

Robert

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
February 3, 2019 - 4:45 pm

Robert,

Your gun has had a couple of repairs already. I can see why the gunsmith had to work on the carrier lever. Someone tried to repair it with a welder and probably screwed it up. The stock has had repairs to it as I can see wood grafts or fillers to it. The front barrel band is missing a screw. I would guess someone has disassembled the gun to try to repair it and didn’t get it together all the ways. The gun does not have a much of a collector value based on the work done to it and lack of finish. If its got a good shootable bore its worth $1200 to $1400 in the US. I would not spend the money on a letter since it will not say anything more than you see. The letter would only say the date it entered the warehouse and that its a carbine in 44 caliber and the date it shipped. The letter behind the serial number is a B not a R. The serial number puts the gun made in July 1885.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Robert
WACA Guest
February 3, 2019 - 10:51 pm

Hi Bob,

thanks for the useful information, not wat I wanted to hear as I was expecting a long lost gem and I could track down a colourful history.

It was what I was expecting though. I will put it in the vault with my other treasures.

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 188
February 6, 2019 - 11:01 am

Robert said
Hi Bob,

thanks for the useful information, not wat I wanted to hear as I was expecting a long lost gem and I could track down a colourful history.

It was what I was expecting though. I will put it in the vault with my other treasures.  

Out hear Robert, and from what I’m seeing at Roly’s auction $900 would pull it up. and the R is more likely an A

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
February 6, 2019 - 3:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Tony. R said

Out hear Robert, and from what I’m seeing at Roly’s auction $900 would pull it up. and the R is more likely an A  

Tony,

If you look at the photo of the serial number, it can’t be a “A”. Its definitely a “B”. The B”s started around the early 160,000 and was mixed with the A’s out to around 215,000

Bob

IMG_3956.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 188
February 7, 2019 - 6:07 am

1873man said

Tony. R said

Tony,

If you look at the photo of the serial number, it can’t be a “A”. Its definitely a “B”. The B”s started around the early 160,000 and was mixed with the A’s out to around 215,000

Bob

IMG_3956.JPGImage Enlarger  

spoton Bob, where’s my glass’s.lol

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 42
April 15, 2019 - 10:24 am

[email protected] said
Hi,

new to the forum and from down under (  Australia )and still finding my way around.

I came across a Winchester 1873 saddle ring carbine in 44WCF. A toggle was broken so I gave it to a gunsmith to repair. He said it is well used and also did a minor repair to where the front of the lever touches the action. Not what I wanted as my wish was to keep it original as much as possible. 

I have included a link to some pic of the rifle and would appreciate some information on the rifle and whether it has any value and worth getting a Factory Letter. Date made, Model, Value etc.

Serial number 185990R Link to pics   https://1drv.ms/f/s!Au-BigIqc0Pegk9K6SyW_KlUrEFJ

Robert  

If it was potentially unsafe before repairs, the gunsmith had a moral obligation to make it safe, either by making it function properly or rendering it totally inoperable. YOU may know it’s unsafe, but whoever gets it after you may have no idea and suffer serious consequences. 

Shoot it and enjoy it.?

All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Old guns are like old cars and old men. They are meant to be taken out and used from time to time, not locked away or put on display in a museum.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2344
twobit: 2295