Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 8, 2019 - 12:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Dropped by my favorite fishing hole last night and brought home a 12-pounder! It’s been mostly catch-and-release lately but this one needed to come home with me. 😉

I’ve finally filled the hole in my collection where a nice 1885 should be. It’s taken awhile but I knew it wouldn’t (and shouldn’t) be a quick process. I first spied it Sunday night but with a likely SNA of 1903 and proof marks on the receiver and barrel I was a little suspicious. Bert was good enough to verify the actual shipping date (1907) and conformation so I hurried down there last night for another look. Quite honestly the rifle was better than I remembered so I brought it home. 

Enough about me; my latest treasure is a plain 1885 Sporting Rifle, SN 95346, 32-40, 32” #4 barrel, Winchester mid-range Vernier peep, Lyman front and a “light trigger pull”. 

Thanks again, Bert!

784E4624-2945-4939-99D9-B24A03ADE413.jpegImage Enlarger1362A81E-7799-4E77-8C14-A238E8E6F1F8.jpegImage Enlarger4EFDB1F4-4493-4EDF-B829-49438615C8CC.jpegImage Enlarger2C4535A0-B7E6-4200-8724-8C6731B32C8E.jpegImage Enlarger81089052-0B88-4A73-B3E1-B5E48D10EDBC.jpegImage Enlarger1EAA1FFF-B7E4-48CA-8C17-E4A8DE8D663C.jpegImage Enlarger99D1B117-3D4C-4413-82E6-3B3F9BE4ABA9.jpegImage Enlarger

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
October 8, 2019 - 2:47 pm

Very nice!!!!!!!!  I’m green with envy!!!!!

James

Forum Posts: 960
October 8, 2019 - 3:48 pm

Neat!  The heavy barrel makes it look like a .22 cal. at the muzzle.  How’s the light trigger?  Looks like it could be a very accurate rifle.

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Member
October 8, 2019 - 4:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thanks, guys!

I like the trigger, Brad. Haven’t put my gauge on it yet but it’s a crisp 2.5-3 pounds with a bit of overtravel. I have some 32 caliber bullets cast up for my 32 Spls. I’ll need to round up or make some brass and hopefully procure some dies to see how it shoots. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
October 8, 2019 - 7:11 pm

Mike,

Very nice model 1885. Cabelas does get nice ones every once in awhile.

Al

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6388
October 8, 2019 - 7:59 pm

Unusual sight combination. What does the record say about the front sight?  Presume you have it, or you wouldn’t know about the trigger work.  I’ve read that some offhand target shooters preferred a modified standard trigger over a set trigger, because the latter adds an extra micro-second or two to lock time.  (Though that was definitely a minority opinion among offhand shooters.)

WACA Member
October 8, 2019 - 9:14 pm

All it said was “Lyman front”, Clarence. Good insight on the trigger workings, wasn’t sure why someone would prefer that over a set trigger. I’m a little leery of a set trigger in a rifle this old so I’m glad to see a standard trigger.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
October 8, 2019 - 10:42 pm

Years ago, I bought a standard sporting rifle in Denver from Les Quick.  It too, was .32-40 with special sights, but it had a #5 barrel.  Boy, what a rifle! 

NY
WACA Member
October 9, 2019 - 12:10 am

TXGunNut said
All it said was “Lyman front”, Clarence. 

So it letters with that sight (or at least not a Winchester wind-gauge) & the vernier–that’s the combination I thought was unusual.

WACA Member
October 9, 2019 - 12:40 pm

It’s not the front sight I would expect to see on a rifle like this but it appears to be original. It does, however, work well with the rear (barrel) sight. I’ll leave it on there because one of the most attractive characteristics of this rifle is that it appears to be unaltered. As current custodian I’m going to respect the apparent wishes of past custodians and leave it as is.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 595
October 9, 2019 - 3:18 pm

Mike, Nice rifle!  First, I do believe you will enjoy shooting it in that caliber.  Secondly, I do appreciate your intentions to leave it as it is.  Follows much the sentiments I have when I get something.  I would almost bet you will be greatly amazed how well it will shoot, assuming the bore is in keeping with the rest of the rifle.  I have been tempted a few times to bid on nice 1885’s at Rock Island Auctions in the .32-40, as they don’t seem to command the prices of other calibers, such as the .38-55 or bigger bores, but each time I decide to hoard my limited funds in hopes of getting another nice lever action (repeater type!).  So many nice Winchester rifles, so little money or time……….  Well done!  Tim

PS.  I do have one 1873 that was returned to the factory the month after purchase.  The set trigger was removed and a standard trigger, tuned to 2 lbs, installed in its stead.  NICE trigger!  Bet you will appreciate the trigger if you shoot it much!

NY
WACA Member
October 9, 2019 - 4:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

tim tomlinson said
I have been tempted a few times to bid on nice 1885’s at Rock Island Auctions in the .32-40, as they don’t seem to command the prices of other calibers, such as the .38-55 or bigger bores… 

True, but they’re a damned sight more popular than one I have in .32-20!  I watched a dealer I knew well try to sell it for a YEAR, but even with #3 wt brl, SST, PG, & very nice cond., there were NO takers!  Finally he said he was going to have it rebarreled to another caliber, so I pointed out the cost of having that done, & made him a low-ball offer, which he accepted.  It’s the most accurate .32-20 I’ve ever shot, but I know I’ve got it for keeps; however, I’ve never bought any gun with the intention of reselling it, so that’s fine with me.

WACA Member
October 10, 2019 - 2:14 am

Clarence-

Quite honestly I wouldn’t mind having an 1885 in 32-20 to go with my 1892 and an M-word 1894. I love the cartridge and it costs me next to nothing to shoot since I cast & load for it. Just realized I have some 38-55 brass that’s a little shorter than I like for that cartridge, now all I need is a set of dies. I may be shooting this 1885 in a week or two! I don’t generally like buying a rifle chambered in a cartridge I don’t load & cast for but this one may not be as expensive as some.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Posts: 960
October 14, 2019 - 1:33 pm

TXGunNut said
Thanks, guys!

I like the trigger, Brad. Haven’t put my gauge on it yet but it’s a crisp 2.5-3 pounds with a bit of overtravel. I have some 32 caliber bullets cast up for my 32 Spls. I’ll need to round up or make some brass and hopefully procure some dies to see how it shoots. 

Mike  

One of the Factory Warehouse ledger pages in our Model 1895 book is on page 158.  It’s there primarily for the stock notations, but there’s one entry that also notes  a “…trigger pull light as consistent with safety.”  I thought that was kind of neat.  I would imagine that there are some really interesting remarks on triggers in the Single Shot Warehouse Ledgers. 

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Member
October 14, 2019 - 6:36 pm

I’ll bet you’re right, Brad. That’s about where I am in your book, I’m fascinated by the ledgers and some entries are indeed interesting. Jesi showed me two last year that had an incredible amount of info, amazed that she could decipher it all. You may recall we had a thread about it.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
January 25, 2020 - 11:41 pm

I fondled one in .32-40 a couple days ago. 30″ #3 bbl. He isn’t ready to sell yet. I begged a little.

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
January 26, 2020 - 4:47 pm

Old Logger said
I fondled one in .32-40 a couple days ago. 30″ #3 bbl. He isn’t ready to sell yet. I begged a little.  

here’s one for sale with a #4 heavy barrel on gun broker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852080102

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
January 26, 2020 - 8:22 pm

The swiss butt plate fits very well but is not mentioned in the Factory Letter???

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Tedk
Guest(s) 230
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261