Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Antique 1894 38-55 takedown
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 12, 2018 - 9:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I haven’t had a chance to take my own photos, but I purchased this 1894 from Collector’s Firearms during their black Friday 20% off sale.  It knocked the purchase price down to $4,200 plus free shipping.  It actually looks even better in person.  The buttstock and forearm have a nice fancy grain to them–I would call 1X.  Also has a perfect bore and it letters.  From what I understand, the full octagon with a half magazine is a bit unusual.  Think the price was reasonable?

http://archives.collectorsfirearms.com/?category=943&subcategory=977&page=7&category=&product=W9548

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2324
December 12, 2018 - 10:02 pm

I bought a real nice M1894 38-55 1/2 octagon bbl with the full magazine from Collectors Firearms a couple years ago. It was old enough to letter and it came back just exactly as it is today. The bore is drippy mint and the rifle is probably better than 95%. Paid $2500 shipped for it. They are pretty easy to deal with, and the lady was from where I live now in Utah. I may be wrong but I was always told the full magazine with a 1/2 Oct. bbl. was a little scarcer than the 1/2 mag. In any event, this rifle is one of my favorites. I have ammo to shoot, but have not gotten around to it yet. I love the 38-55’s. Big bore M1894’s.  Big Larry

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
December 12, 2018 - 11:02 pm

Are you SURE you got free shipping?  I was charged shipping for something I purchased during that same sale and I called them and they stated they always charge for shipping.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
December 12, 2018 - 11:34 pm

mrcvs said
Are you SURE you got free shipping?  I was charged shipping for something I purchased during that same sale and I called them and they stated they always charge for shipping.  

Yes–definitely got free shipping.  Shipped UPS ground.  Was charged only the $4,200 for the rifle.  They had advertised on their website free shipping for anything over $100.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
December 13, 2018 - 3:35 am

Pretty sweet rifle, congrats. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1382
December 13, 2018 - 12:18 pm

Don,

That’s a great looking rifle.  I think you did very well on it, especially since it’s 38-55, and antique. Collectors Firearms is great to work with, I bought a Winchester from them a few years ago, and like you, I received free shipping.

Al

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2291
December 13, 2018 - 1:49 pm

Don,

I live just about 5 miles from Collector’s and would have been more than happy to pick up the rifle and hold it for you.   Well I may have done a bit more than just hold it!!!  Very nice rifle and the $4200 price sounds pretty reasonable.   

Merry Christmas

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
December 13, 2018 - 2:46 pm

A month ago, I would have thought this to be a good price, maybe excellent.  Still a decent price, but here’s my thinking.  In the “Engraved 1895 Winchester” recent thread, lot 37 at the recent Rock Island Auction sold for $5463.  By the time you figure in shipping and insurance, you would be a bit north of $5500.  This gun is in .30-30, not antique, also has condition and has a multitude of deluxe features.  I thought easily an $8000 gun.  You have to ask yourself what the multitude of deluxe features is worth, what .38-55, is worth, what being antique is worth, and come up with a figure.  I would think at 8k for the other one, $4200 would be a no brainer.  Obviously, there is recent softening in the market.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2291
December 13, 2018 - 3:58 pm

mrcvs said
A month ago, I would have thought this to be a good price, maybe excellent.  Still a decent price, but here’s my thinking.  In the “Engraved 1895 Winchester” recent thread, lot 37 at the recent Rock Island Auction sold for $5463.  By the time you figure in shipping and insurance, you would be a bit north of $5500.  This gun is in .30-30, not antique, also has condition and has a multitude of deluxe features.  I thought easily an $8000 gun.  You have to ask yourself what the multitude of deluxe features is worth, what .38-55, is worth, what being antique is worth, and come up with a figure.  I would think at 8k for the other one, $4200 would be a no brainer.  Obviously, there is recent softening in the market.  

I will not argue about the regretful apparent “softening” of the market.  But, I will say that it is impossible to compare the sale price of one gun and then use that to justify/explain/or discount the possible price/value of another one.  There are just way to many variables and unknowns.  And to offer just one little piece of confounding evidence I present this “gem of a little 1892″ which just sold on Gunbroker for only $510!!!   And the barrel is most likely cut down 2 inches since it is listed as a 22”. That pretty much guaranties that every rifle in my collection is worth at LEAST $5000 on UP!!! 🙂

pix036501081.jpgImage Enlargerpix056337673.jpgImage Enlargerpix166410436.jpgImage Enlargerpix457377030.jpgImage Enlarger

Michael

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2324
December 13, 2018 - 4:39 pm

mrcvs said

The normal charge for shipping there is $40. I have bought several rifles from them and have always been charged $40 for shipping. I guess I just don’t live right. Never get any freebee’s. Big LarryCryFrownFrown

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
December 13, 2018 - 5:28 pm

Maybe what we’re seeing is a shortage of enthusiastic buyers in certain segments of the market. Sometimes someone gets a bargain.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
December 13, 2018 - 11:26 pm

Thanks everyone for their opinions, I’m very happy with the rifle.  It is a bit concerning as a collector to see the prices dropping on some pretty spectacular Winchesters lately.  I’m a youngster collector at the age of 46 and I like antiques, old guns, etc. but have noticed that much of what I like and collect have gone “out of style” with the younger crowd.  The antique malls and antique stores in my area are no longer there, etc.  I have tailored my Winchester collection to 80%+ condition and try to focus on those with unusual/special order features as well.  If I end up upside-down on a few, it’s been an enjoyable learning experience to say the least.

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
December 14, 2018 - 3:32 am

deerhunter said
Thanks everyone for their opinions, I’m very happy with the rifle.  It is a bit concerning as a collector to see the prices dropping on some pretty spectacular Winchesters lately.  I’m a youngster collector at the age of 46 and I like antiques, old guns, etc. but have noticed that much of what I like and collect have gone “out of style” with the younger crowd.  The antique malls and antique stores in my area are no longer there, etc.  I have tailored my Winchester collection to 80%+ condition and try to focus on those with unusual/special order features as well.  If I end up upside-down on a few, it’s been an enjoyable learning experience to say the least.

Don  

If you are a real collector and are not concerned about resale value the dip in the market makes it possible to buy more guns.  I have.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
December 14, 2018 - 4:55 am

Chuck said

If you are a real collector and are not concerned about resale value the dip in the market makes it possible to buy more guns.  I have.  

That’s very true.  I am a dedicated collector, but at the same time I like to justify my purchases by calling it my “401K.”  However, you don’t lose or make money until you sell, right?  I don’t plan on selling anytime soon…or ever for that matter.

WACA Member
December 14, 2018 - 5:28 pm

deerhunter said

That’s very true.  I am a dedicated collector, but at the same time I like to justify my purchases by calling it my “401K.”  However, you don’t lose or make money until you sell, right?  I don’t plan on selling anytime soon…or ever for that matter.  

I think it is the other way around.  You make the money when you buy it.  Yes, everything else is all on paper until you sell it.  I know several auction house owners who profess that collecting guns is better than a 401K.  I disagree but it can be one part of your retirement plan plus it is a lot more fun.  My wife and daughter have actually argued about who is going to sell my collection. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
December 14, 2018 - 6:17 pm

Chuck said

I think it is the other way around.  You make the money when you buy it.  Yes, everything else is all on paper until you sell it.  I know several auction house owners who profess that collecting guns is better than a 401K.  I disagree but it can be one part of your retirement plan plus it is a lot more fun.  My wife and daughter have actually argued about who is going to sell my collection.   

Chuck,

I would quell that argument real fast by looking them dead in the eye, and telling them you are going to outlive both of them!

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
December 15, 2018 - 4:41 pm

Bert H. said

Chuck,

I would quell that argument real fast by looking them dead in the eye, and telling them you are going to outlive both of them!

Bert  

Bert I did something similar but you’ve met them and should know they don’t pay any attention to me.  Or visa versa.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 853
January 3, 2019 - 6:35 pm

Beautiful 38-55 with very nice wood.

WACA Member
January 4, 2019 - 6:00 pm

Kirk Durston said
Beautiful 38-55 with very nice wood.  

Nice gun and it appears to have some select wood on it.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: tsillik, TR, morsece, RickC, SureShot, Paul K
Guest(s) 128
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160