Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Almost missed it! Sweet 1895
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 13, 2022 - 1:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Must have been a rough trip up to Cody. One item on my short shopping list was a nice 1895 in 30US that I could actually shoot as well as admire. One of the first tables I visited was Mark Douglas’ fine spread. For reasons I can’t explain I apparently didn’t see this rifle on his table. That happened at another table nearby that morning, a shotgun I would have loved to purchase was apparently not visible to me. In fact, I recalled seeing a quite different 1895 that was NOT on his table. I mentioned my quest to Mark a time or two on Thursday and Friday and each time he told me he had what I was looking for. Just to be polite I dropped by Mark’s table early Saturday and saw a very nice (but not quite original) 1895 very much like I was looking for. It’s an early (1898) production and as some of you noticed very easy on the eyes. I went back to my table as the show was about to open to the public and tried to figure out what I had seen. While I was sitting a few aisles away 2-3 pretty serious collectors picked it up and seemed quite interested. ( I later learned Mark had asked them to drop by and express an interest. Wink) I finally got a break and tried to walk calmly over to Mark’s table and negotiated a deal. Now all I need to do is find that 30US ammo I loaded a few years ago! Thanks for being patient with me, Mark. 

Attached a few quick photos. Won’t have good light on my normal spot until past my bedtime. Wink

Mike

C2ED3EBF-4484-475E-9DD9-6D2B55746992.jpegImage Enlarger1BF2362E-50FE-409A-BA83-23B30A0F8C75.jpegImage Enlarger

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6388
July 13, 2022 - 1:11 am

Best thing about it besides condition–the shotgun BP.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
July 13, 2022 - 1:16 am

Well when the sun is right don’t take the pictures standing on your head.  I’m having a hard time looking at them.Laugh

WACA Member
July 13, 2022 - 1:26 am

Chuck said
Well when the sun is right don’t take the pictures standing on your head.  I’m having a hard time looking at them.Laugh

I suck at pics (and editing) but I feel like in this section an unwritten rule is “pics or it didn’t happen”. And yes, Clarence, the SB is always an attraction to me and pretty wood is another. The chambering is a huge plus as I love the history of the 30US (and I already have dies and brass). 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
July 13, 2022 - 1:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Mike it isn’t you.  I never can figure why some of my pictures end up upside down?  A shotgun butt on a 95 is always a good thing.  This model does not absorb recoil well at all.

WACA Member
July 13, 2022 - 1:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

8C2E0BDA-2AB7-4D45-B26B-B00458F6BB2E.jpegImage EnlargerFound them! Sideways again. Must be the wine.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
July 13, 2022 - 2:03 am

For my fellow bullet casters that’s a Ranch Dog #312299 with a nominal bullet weight of 202grs loaded nearly two years ago into a resized Hornady 303 case over a gentle charge of Rx7 powder. This load showed promise in a much less attractive 1895 with a poor bore. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 301
July 14, 2022 - 2:40 pm

Now I need to get back to my test to make shootable rounds from the 30US blanks I have…. I got sidetracked for some reason and now the bug is back…. Nice find!

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

WACA #10293

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
July 14, 2022 - 4:05 pm

Mike – 

It is easy on the eyes.  Cool that it has antique status and has a shotgun butt Smile

WACA Member
July 17, 2022 - 6:12 pm

This old 1895 just keeps getting better. I suspected it might be a shooter when I looked at the bore and Mark just smiled. I may need to tweak my load a bit to regulate with the lines on the Lyman sight but early results are almost incredible. I know two shots are not a group but quite honestly I was having great difficulty finding the front sight. First target is at 50; trying to get used to the trigger and a couple of sighters just out of the frame. Second target at 100 yds; two hits at the bottom were fired using the top notch, two hits at the top were fired using the second notch. 

After a nap I’ll need to study my load notes and manuals, been a few years since I came up with that load. 

Mike

ACA33956-E4E6-422B-97C9-D190BC6D959F.jpegImage EnlargerCD82D326-3CE5-4747-A9CC-D0E9C3C92A49.jpegImage Enlarger5B5FB76E-B2A0-4026-B0D0-DF6058FDD4F1.jpegImage Enlarger

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 492
July 18, 2022 - 3:48 am

That’s fantastic Mike!  That ’95 came into the shop shortly before the Cody Show, so I didn’t get the chance to shoot it.  After seeing how pristine the bore is, I’m not surprised it’s shooting so well for you.  I’m anxious to see how well you get it shooting with some load development.  I’m sure glad it found its way into good hands.  I’d be willing to bet it won’t be long until you’ve shot it more than it’s been shot in its first 124 years.  Mark

WACA Member
July 24, 2022 - 11:40 pm

Thanks, Mark. Realized this week it was twice my age. Took it to the range today to shoot up the rest of the ammo I had loaded so I could try another load without forming more brass from .303 British. Discovered there was a notch between the first and second marked notches on the Lyman sight! This is my first “Climbin’ Lyman” so I have a lot to learn. Awesome sight! Found the inner aperture was initially flipped down during my first range session. EmbarassedThe “half” notch was acceptable for a 6 o’clock hold @ 100 yards. Group was about 4”, much more in line with my expectations and limitations. I’ve always said “three shot groups lie”. Now I know two shot groups mean nothing, even when I have two of them. All in all, not bad for a 124 year old rifle and 62 year old eyes. No telling what new glasses and a bit of a load tweak will bring.

Mike

48FE04F9-38F1-4B71-9AF2-C0ACE7BE6362.jpegImage Enlarger

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H.
Guest(s) 203
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323