Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
A Model 1892 SRC that earned its keep
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 12, 2019 - 12:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

A couple weeks ago I received in the mail an old Winchester Model 1892 saddle ring carbine chambered in 44 WCF. Polishing room records indicate that it was serialized on August 8, 1913. A fellow from northern British Columbia had gotten in touch with me to let me know he was clearing out the estate of a local fellow who had passed on. The photos he emailed me showed a very well used carbine that looked like it had been “up the creek and over the mountain”, but it had not been messed with. The beat-up originality was original. When it arrived, I cleaned the bore and then, with great fear and trembling, looked in both ends of it. I was expecting a sewer pipe, but was shocked to see a shiny bore with sharp rifling all the way from chamber to muzzle. A few days later I stepped out into the back yard, set up a target at 25 yards, leaned against a tree, and fired 5 shots. Keep in mind my 65 year-old eyes have a problem making out which blur is the front sight and the back sight, and the front end of the gun was waving around, but the carbine still managed to put 5 shots into 1/4″ x 3/4″ at 25 yards. That is a “worst-case” group given the conditions. Yesterday, I installed an original tang peep sight, so look forward to seeing what this old timer will do at 100 yards resting on my shooting bag, but that 25 yard experiment is promising. Given that this carbine appears to have been very heavily carried around in the outdoors, I’m guessing it was a trapper’s gun in northern British Columbia where it came from. But he obviously took very good care of the bore and action.

car.jpgImage Enlarger44-40-target.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 298
December 13, 2019 - 8:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Kirk, Your old 1892 Carbine looks to be in about the same condition as the one that I purchased from a young Indiginous man on the coast of James Bay in 1964. I paid $40 for it which was a lot of money for a plain 1892. I bought another one for $10 but it was in worse shape. Thanks for posting the story and photos. It looks like an honest old Winchester that’s had a useful life.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2344
December 13, 2019 - 8:36 pm

Looks just like my 1925 44-40 SRC. Surprising what these old guns will bring on the open market. Even the well worn SRC’s in 44 WCF.

Nice find. Looks like you will be enjoying it.  Big LarrySmileSmileSmile

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
December 13, 2019 - 9:00 pm

Good looking carbine, and definitely looks like it will be a good shooter.  For a lot of folks back in the day, as well as now, who use their guns as a tool, they dont much care what the outside looks like so long as the bore is cleaned and it shoots straight.  Used to have a good friend that would just let the outside of his guns rust but would keep the bore clean.  Drove me crazy. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
December 14, 2019 - 12:22 am

Your “new” SRC has obviously been there, done that, and is ready to do it all again. If it had any more character it’d pour itself a glass of whiskey and tell us a story or two.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
December 14, 2019 - 12:51 am

I have an old Remington 722 that came from a Native man in Prince William Sound. He used it to hunt seals, sea otters, and such. It wears an old Weaver scope and has a hand made sling made from some kind of cord with cool knots. It looks used. It’s been used. I’m not changing a thing on it. Took it to my gravel pit for a shooting session. Still fairly accurate but some of the bullets would keyhole. 

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
December 14, 2019 - 1:46 am

I love it.  In the mid 60’s, my folks bought me an 1892 SRC in .44-40.  This carbine came off the Papago Indian reservation, which at that time was southwest of Phoenix.  They paid $25.00 for this carbine at that time.  The outside shows hard use and the action is a bit loose, being worn from sand and the barrel was slightly bent.  However, the bore is great.  I took the wow out of the barrel, only to discover that it is a tack driver.  Although I  have not shot it in years, I  still have it these 55 years later and cherish the memories associated with it.  Factory letter states that it was shipped December 31st, 1905.

WACA Member
December 15, 2019 - 9:55 pm

I enjoyed hearing about these other old rifles you fellows have come across.

Forum Posts: 960
December 16, 2019 - 4:50 pm

Awesome Kirk.  That looks like a great Carbine.  

You fellows should please consider taking some pics of your Winchesters for the 2021 Calendar and also for the back page of the magazine. I believe a “Featured Winchester” page may have been your idea to begin with Kirk.  I’ve been working on that 1892takedown guy for some content without much luck yet. Laugh

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Member
December 17, 2019 - 2:36 am

Good reminder, Brad.

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
December 18, 2019 - 6:34 pm

Brad Dunbar said
I’ve been working on that 1892takedown guy for some content without much luck yet. Laugh  

I know I know I know.  There are a few irons in the fire – unfortunately some have been there longer there than others Embarassed.  

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
December 18, 2019 - 8:59 pm

I’m guilty as well.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: deerhunter, Zebulon, Michael McMurray