Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
50-110 Winchester Ammo
Avatar
Anthony #5411
Ohio
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1969
Member Since:
December 9, 2002
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
September 3, 2026 - 3:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I chose to post this in the ‘What’s New”, section, and feel free to move it if so desired.

This box for sale with provenance, I found very interesting on member Joe Salters site.

https://shop.joesalter.com/Very-Rare-50-110-Winchester-Chilled-Shot-Ammo-Box-Fired-By-Colorado-Trick-Shooter

 

Tony

Avatar
steve004
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5850
Member Since:
November 19, 2006
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
September 3, 2026 - 11:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tony –

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting.  Must have been one of those 15 M1886 .50 calibers ordered as a smoothbore.  I know one of those .50 caliber 1886 smoothbore 86’s was the one made in .50-100-450 Cool

Avatar
Anthony #5411
Ohio
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1969
Member Since:
December 9, 2002
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
September 4, 2026 - 11:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah Steve,

I also found it interesting, as I assumed it was that also. I never heard of this guy in my readings.

 

Tony

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7653
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
September 4, 2026 - 4:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Anthony said
Yeah Steve,
I also found it interesting, as I assumed it was that also. I never heard of this guy in my readings.
 
Tony
  

I understand there were many more exhibition shooters than most of us read about these days, just as there were several wild west shows. I wonder how many cases of ammo this shooter went thru. The asking price is mind boggling here, definitely a case of buying the story.

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
steve004
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5850
Member Since:
November 19, 2006
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
September 4, 2026 - 5:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

TXGunNut said

Anthony said
Yeah Steve,
I also found it interesting, as I assumed it was that also. I never heard of this guy in my readings.
 
Tony
  

I understand there were many more exhibition shooters than most of us read about these days, just as there were several wild west shows. I wonder how many cases of ammo this shooter went thru. The asking price is mind boggling here, definitely a case of buying the story.
 
Mike
  

I suppose that’s who most of those 15 .50 caliber M1886 smoothbores went to – as opposed to upland bird hunters.

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7653
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
September 4, 2026 - 5:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I suppose that’s who most of those 15 .50 caliber M1886 smoothbores went to – as opposed to upland bird hunters.-Steve

 

Maybe so, I wasn’t aware they were using this model. I thought maybe they were using something a bit quicker and lighter like the 1873. I suppose some of us need to launch more pellets than others! I think the 50-110 would be close to the 28ga. 

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
steve004
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5850
Member Since:
November 19, 2006
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7
September 5, 2026 - 1:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

TXGunNut said
I suppose that’s who most of those 15 .50 caliber M1886 smoothbores went to – as opposed to upland bird hunters.-Steve
 
Maybe so, I wasn’t aware they were using this model. I thought maybe they were using something a bit quicker and lighter like the 1873. I suppose some of us need to launch more pellets than others! I think the 50-110 would be close to the 28ga. 
 
Mike
  

Mike –

I’ve researched this a bit. Recall my Standard Arms Camp .50 will chamber a .50-110 case.  The Camp .50 will not come close to chambering a 28 gauge but a 32 gauge shell will.

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7653
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
8
September 5, 2026 - 9:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

steve004 said

TXGunNut said
I suppose that’s who most of those 15 .50 caliber M1886 smoothbores went to – as opposed to upland bird hunters.-Steve
 
Maybe so, I wasn’t aware they were using this model. I thought maybe they were using something a bit quicker and lighter like the 1873. I suppose some of us need to launch more pellets than others! I think the 50-110 would be close to the 28ga. 
 
Mike
  

Mike –
I’ve researched this a bit. Recall my Standard Arms Camp .50 will chamber a .50-110 case.  The Camp .50 will not come close to chambering a 28 gauge but a 32 gauge shell will.
  

I was just comparing the relative sizes, hadn’t considered actually firing a shotgun shell in a rifle but that would have simplified things a bit. I recall hearing about the 32 ga but still haven’t seen one. I think I’d rather run across a nice Camp 50. Interesting gun. 

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Alan Dodson, Fedelsur
Guest(s) 1175
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7653
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6879
steve004: 5850
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3076
twobit: 2748
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2520
Zebulon: 2395
Newest Members:
Keebler98
DougW
MMM
WyoTip
ArtistryUnlimitedLLC
julee3434
John D. Mikle
tdnathens
De Hulsters Rudy
Grizzz73
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16322
Posts: 149433

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10999
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation