Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
1886 takedown
November 21, 2013
11:04 am
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 805
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I just purchased this rifle this morning and can't wait to get my hands on it. The Cody letter in the posting is an error and belongs to a different rifle they have for sale. The bore condition on this one is like new, so I'm told. Even talked them down $50.00. In my mind, I think $5,700 is a steal for this rifle. Based on the photos, I would appreciate an honest opinion as to the value from others on this site with more expertise than myself.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/winchester-1886-take-down-rifle-40-82-w6215/

November 21, 2013
11:42 am
Kingston, WA
Forum Posts: 9532

Don,

Great buy! It is a very nice TD rifle 8)

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

November 21, 2013
11:48 am
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 185

Downloading and ramping up the gamma on a few of the photos (so they are not so dark and under exposed) shows a rifle with what appears to be a lot more finish wear and tear then the photos on the page would at first suggest. The good news is I seriously doubt it has ever been refinished.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

W6215e__78695.1384981599.1280.1280.jpgImage Enlarger

November 21, 2013
12:12 pm
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member

Thanks for the enhanced photos Mark. I did notice that it did have some carry wear/patina on the receiver which I would expect from a rifle nearly 120 years old. From my experience at gun shows and surfing the net, these rifles in 80% plus condition rarely come up for sale for less than $8,000 to $10,000. Cabelas (I know is very overpriced on their Winchesters) has a rather beat up 1886 take down in 38-56 for $6,399.00. I was tickled to find one in this condition in the $5,000-$6,000 price range. Collectors Firearms just listed this yesterday and I jumped on it this morning. Hopefully, when I see it in person I'll feel the same way.

Bert--if you had this on your table at the OAC show, what kind of price would you put on it (if you don't mind me asking)? I do realize that there is a different perspective viewing photos online vs. holding it in your hands. Any approximate would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

November 21, 2013
1:22 pm
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 185

Deer hunter don't take me wrong I am seriously jealous of the purchase you made. I was just pointing out how the photos in the ad were ah "limiting" in there depiction of the rifle. I have noticed this in a very high percentage of photos used to sell firearms.

As a life long Photography nut it worries me how much people can hide with a digital photo. And wanted to make sure you had a better idea of what they were offering.

Looking forward to your review once its in hand.

November 21, 2013
1:49 pm
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member

I really do appreciate the photos Mark--no negative feelings at all. It's actually a great value to the forum to have someone with your skills and abilities to provide those extra insights that many of us are not capable of. It's always a risk when buying something from photos without inspecting it in person--a decent return policy is a must for me when making any kind of purchase like that. It would have been best it I had posted the link to the forum before purchasing, but I got stingy as was afraid someone else reading the post would snatch it up before me Wink .

November 21, 2013
6:10 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 318

Congrats! Fine looking 1886

November 21, 2013
8:48 pm
Kingston, WA

Don,

I suspect that it is worth a minimum of $7.5K, and could go as high as $10K.

Bert

November 22, 2013
4:39 am
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 31

Beautiful example of a TD 1886. You did well.

November 22, 2013
7:56 am
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member

Thanks everyone--I appreciate your input. Now the tricky part will getting it to the safe before the wife sees it! Laugh

November 22, 2013
6:42 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 645

This is an awesome 1886!

I am looking at a similar one as far as condition goes, it is a deluxe 1886 takedown rifle in .45-70. So, if you can imagine your rifle with a period receiver sight (teens to '20's), probably mounted at that time, so early, but not original to the gun. How much would such a sight harm the value of a rifle such as this one? Any ideas? What does Bert think?

I come across nice 1886's fairly regularly, but most are 'hurt' by things such as the aforementioned. This is why yours is truly a nice example!

Also, I have noticed that it has a blued (and obviously original!) receiver during a time when case-colouring was much more prevalent. Maybe a special order feature???

November 22, 2013
11:02 pm
Kingston, WA

deerhunter said
Thanks everyone--I appreciate your input. Now the tricky part will getting it to the safe before the wife sees it! Laugh

Don, I know that I told you my secret procedure on how to do that at the Portland OAC show... have you forgotten young grasshopper?

Bert

November 23, 2013
7:31 am
WACA Member

mrcvs said
This is an awesome 1886!

I am looking at a similar one as far as condition goes, it is a deluxe 1886 takedown rifle in .45-70. So, if you can imagine your rifle with a period receiver sight (teens to '20's), probably mounted at that time, so early, but not original to the gun. How much would such a sight harm the value of a rifle such as this one? Any ideas? What does Bert think?

I come across nice 1886's fairly regularly, but most are 'hurt' by things such as the aforementioned. This is why yours is truly a nice example!

Also, I have noticed that it has a blued (and obviously original!) receiver during a time when case-colouring was much more prevalent. Maybe a special order feature???

The take-down was standard with blued rec. and almost rare with CCH. The extra-lite was also standard blued

November 23, 2013
2:11 pm
WACA Member

Any ideas how much a period, but not original, receiver sight will hurt the value?

November 23, 2013
2:17 pm
WACA Member

What model sight?

November 23, 2013
3:57 pm
WACA Member

CJ57 said
What model sight?

Western Gunsight Company, Model 80, I believe. The earliest catalogue for this company dates to 1909, and by the late 1920's, this was known as the Redfield Gunsight Company.

November 23, 2013
4:02 pm
WACA Member

CJ57 said
The take-down was standard with blued rec. and almost rare with CCH. The extra-lite was also standard blued

Wow. Great observation! I never noticed that the takedown feature is only on blued receivers, but now, in hindsight, I don't ever recall seeing a takedown 1886 that is case-coloured. I guess I had the 'George Madis fact' WHERE post_id = untrue or true, that blued receivers came out in August of 1901, slightly before serial number 125,000.

November 23, 2013
4:23 pm
WACA Member

mrcvs,
I think that sight detracts a bit, maybe 20-30%, its up to the buyer, a lot of collectors will just pass on it.

November 23, 2013
10:51 pm
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member

deerhunter said

Don, I know that I told you my secret procedure on how to do that at the Portland OAC show... have you forgotten young grasshopper?

Bert

Bert, I do remember the secret procedure, but this time I'll have UPS knocking on the door delivering a 4' by 12" package. I could tell her that it's her Christmas present and not to open it. But then I'll have to pick her out a Christmas gift that matches the same dimensions--just not sure what that would be... 😕 Maybe we should post a "sticky" on how to sneak in guns without the wife noticing?? Laugh

November 24, 2013
7:25 am
WACA Member

deerhunter said

Bert

Bert, I do remember the secret procedure, but this time I'll have UPS knocking on the door delivering a 4' by 12" package. I could tell her that it's her Christmas present and not to open it. But then I'll have to pick her out a Christmas gift that matches the same dimensions--just not sure what that would be... 😕 Maybe we should post a "sticky" on how to sneak in guns without the wife noticing?? Laugh

A broom would have about the same dimensions. It makes an excellent Christmas present. 😀

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 628

Currently Online: pdog72, Huck Riley
60 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 16

Topics: 6700

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 904