Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 takedown
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1914
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 21, 2013 - 11:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I just purchased this rifle this morning and can’t wait to get my hands on it. The Cody letter in the posting is an error and belongs to a different rifle they have for sale. The bore condition on this one is like new, so I’m told. Even talked them down $50.00. In my mind, I think $5,700 is a steal for this rifle. Based on the photos, I would appreciate an honest opinion as to the value from others on this site with more expertise than myself.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/winchester-1886-take-down-rifle-40-82-w6215/

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
November 21, 2013 - 11:42 am

Don,

Great buy! It is a very nice TD rifle 8)

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 184
November 21, 2013 - 11:48 am

Downloading and ramping up the gamma on a few of the photos (so they are not so dark and under exposed) shows a rifle with what appears to be a lot more finish wear and tear then the photos on the page would at first suggest. The good news is I seriously doubt it has ever been refinished.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
November 21, 2013 - 12:12 pm

Thanks for the enhanced photos Mark. I did notice that it did have some carry wear/patina on the receiver which I would expect from a rifle nearly 120 years old. From my experience at gun shows and surfing the net, these rifles in 80% plus condition rarely come up for sale for less than $8,000 to $10,000. Cabelas (I know is very overpriced on their Winchesters) has a rather beat up 1886 take down in 38-56 for $6,399.00. I was tickled to find one in this condition in the $5,000-$6,000 price range. Collectors Firearms just listed this yesterday and I jumped on it this morning. Hopefully, when I see it in person I’ll feel the same way.

Bert–if you had this on your table at the OAC show, what kind of price would you put on it (if you don’t mind me asking)? I do realize that there is a different perspective viewing photos online vs. holding it in your hands. Any approximate would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 184
November 21, 2013 - 1:22 pm

Deer hunter don’t take me wrong I am seriously jealous of the purchase you made. I was just pointing out how the photos in the ad were ah "limiting" in there depiction of the rifle. I have noticed this in a very high percentage of photos used to sell firearms.

As a life long Photography nut it worries me how much people can hide with a digital photo. And wanted to make sure you had a better idea of what they were offering.

Looking forward to your review once its in hand.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
November 21, 2013 - 1:49 pm

I really do appreciate the photos Mark–no negative feelings at all. It’s actually a great value to the forum to have someone with your skills and abilities to provide those extra insights that many of us are not capable of. It’s always a risk when buying something from photos without inspecting it in person–a decent return policy is a must for me when making any kind of purchase like that. It would have been best it I had posted the link to the forum before purchasing, but I got stingy as was afraid someone else reading the post would snatch it up before me Wink .

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 302
November 21, 2013 - 6:10 pm

Congrats! Fine looking 1886

Kingston, WA
Admin
November 21, 2013 - 8:48 pm

Don,

I suspect that it is worth a minimum of $7.5K, and could go as high as $10K.

Bert

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
November 22, 2013 - 4:39 am

Beautiful example of a TD 1886. You did well.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
November 22, 2013 - 7:56 am

Thanks everyone–I appreciate your input. Now the tricky part will getting it to the safe before the wife sees it! Laugh

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
November 22, 2013 - 6:42 pm

This is an awesome 1886!

I am looking at a similar one as far as condition goes, it is a deluxe 1886 takedown rifle in .45-70. So, if you can imagine your rifle with a period receiver sight (teens to ’20’s), probably mounted at that time, so early, but not original to the gun. How much would such a sight harm the value of a rifle such as this one? Any ideas? What does Bert think?

I come across nice 1886’s fairly regularly, but most are ‘hurt’ by things such as the aforementioned. This is why yours is truly a nice example!

Also, I have noticed that it has a blued (and obviously original!) receiver during a time when case-colouring was much more prevalent. Maybe a special order feature???

Kingston, WA
Admin
November 22, 2013 - 11:02 pm

deerhunter said
Thanks everyone–I appreciate your input. Now the tricky part will getting it to the safe before the wife sees it! Laugh

Don, I know that I told you my secret procedure on how to do that at the Portland OAC show… have you forgotten young grasshopper?

Bert

WACA Member
November 23, 2013 - 7:31 am

mrcvs said
This is an awesome 1886!

I am looking at a similar one as far as condition goes, it is a deluxe 1886 takedown rifle in .45-70. So, if you can imagine your rifle with a period receiver sight (teens to ’20’s), probably mounted at that time, so early, but not original to the gun. How much would such a sight harm the value of a rifle such as this one? Any ideas? What does Bert think?

I come across nice 1886’s fairly regularly, but most are ‘hurt’ by things such as the aforementioned. This is why yours is truly a nice example!

Also, I have noticed that it has a blued (and obviously original!) receiver during a time when case-colouring was much more prevalent. Maybe a special order feature???

The take-down was standard with blued rec. and almost rare with CCH. The extra-lite was also standard blued

WACA Member
November 23, 2013 - 2:11 pm

Any ideas how much a period, but not original, receiver sight will hurt the value?

WACA Member
November 23, 2013 - 2:17 pm

What model sight?

WACA Member
November 23, 2013 - 3:57 pm

CJ57 said
What model sight?

Western Gunsight Company, Model 80, I believe. The earliest catalogue for this company dates to 1909, and by the late 1920’s, this was known as the Redfield Gunsight Company.

WACA Member
November 23, 2013 - 4:02 pm

CJ57 said
The take-down was standard with blued rec. and almost rare with CCH. The extra-lite was also standard blued

Wow. Great observation! I never noticed that the takedown feature is only on blued receivers, but now, in hindsight, I don’t ever recall seeing a takedown 1886 that is case-coloured. I guess I had the ‘George Madis fact’ WHERE post_id = untrue or true, that blued receivers came out in August of 1901, slightly before serial number 125,000.

WACA Member
November 23, 2013 - 4:23 pm

mrcvs,
I think that sight detracts a bit, maybe 20-30%, its up to the buyer, a lot of collectors will just pass on it.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
November 23, 2013 - 10:51 pm

deerhunter said

Don, I know that I told you my secret procedure on how to do that at the Portland OAC show… have you forgotten young grasshopper?

Bert

Bert, I do remember the secret procedure, but this time I’ll have UPS knocking on the door delivering a 4′ by 12" package. I could tell her that it’s her Christmas present and not to open it. But then I’ll have to pick her out a Christmas gift that matches the same dimensions–just not sure what that would be… 😕 Maybe we should post a "sticky" on how to sneak in guns without the wife noticing?? Laugh

WACA Member
November 24, 2013 - 7:25 am

deerhunter said

Bert

Bert, I do remember the secret procedure, but this time I’ll have UPS knocking on the door delivering a 4′ by 12" package. I could tell her that it’s her Christmas present and not to open it. But then I’ll have to pick her out a Christmas gift that matches the same dimensions–just not sure what that would be… 😕 Maybe we should post a "sticky" on how to sneak in guns without the wife noticing?? Laugh

A broom would have about the same dimensions. It makes an excellent Christmas present. 😀

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: winchester nix, Byron Russell
Guest(s) 200
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261