Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1885 Low Wall coming
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 9, 2021 - 2:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The correct sight for your low-wall would be a Lyman No. 1 (or a No. 2) with an “S” application code.  The No. 1A would not be correct for a 1902 production rifle.  That stated, the mounting hole spacing is the same for nearly all of the older Winchester rifles, and the sight you have will fit on that low-wall.

In regards to the stocks, I recommend using any quality wood furniture cleaning oil to refresh the wood.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
March 9, 2021 - 2:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

AZshot said

I may want a tang sight.  I have a Lyman no. 1A on a 62 (with the proper base code, I can’t recall) Winchester pump .22, will that fit?  If not, what would be the proper tang sight for a circa 1902 rifle? 

Certainly it will.  The “proper” one would be coded “S.”  You’ll be lucky to find one under $300. 

Metal looks great, so seems a little odd that stocks show so many slight handling marks.  Wonder if Old English furniture polish was used on them, which would darken every little blemish.  No harm I think in using boiled linseed (NOT Tung!) cut 50/50 with turpentine.

Nice also to get the SS trigger.  Hear complaints about them, but ones I’ve had worked fine.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 90
March 9, 2021 - 3:15 pm

Thanks all.  Good to know I can use that Lyman sight, it’s really just on the beater 63 because I could.  Will help make this Low Wall a better shooter. 

I think I’ll start with boiled linseed oil.  It needs to be a tad darker at least from these seller photos.

Clarence, how do you know it’s a single set trigger?  I wasn’t told that!  Are you sure? But some sellers don’t know, I got a rare Stevens 044 1/2 a couple years ago that had a single-set.  The seller had inherited it from his father, I don’t think either knew. 

NY
WACA Member
March 9, 2021 - 3:59 pm

AZshot said

Clarence, how do you know it’s a single set trigger?  I wasn’t told that!  Are you sure? But some sellers don’t know, I got a rare Stevens 044 1/2 a couple years ago that had a single-set.  The seller had inherited it from his father, I don’t think either knew.   

The screw head behind the trigger.  If the seller didn’t point that out, you probably got the gun cheaper than you would otherwise.

SSs on Winchesters aren’t rare; SSs on Stevens are VERY rare!

WACA Guest
March 9, 2021 - 5:00 pm

Ah so, now I learned.  Thanks.  

Here is the Lyman sight I am thinking of putting on the Low Wall.  I guess it’s a 1, not a 1A.  Closer to 1902 vintage? 

Image Enlarger

NY
WACA Member
March 9, 2021 - 5:56 pm

AZshot said
Ah so, now I learned.  Thanks.  

Here is the Lyman sight I am thinking of putting on the Low Wall.  I guess it’s a 1, not a 1A.  Closer to 1902 vintage? 

Yes, it’s that little (& useless) locking lever that makes it an “A” (intro. 1905).  But before taking it off your 62, I’d buy another for your SS for about $200; any Lyman or Marbles with the Win hole spacing will work.

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 805
March 10, 2021 - 2:18 am

I await the discovery of the code on the bottom of the Lyman sight you have on your Model 62.  The ‘code’ on the bottom usually dictates the stem height as well as the model and caliber it is to fit on.  The stem on your sight appears taller that the stems on my 22 caliber pumps.  Please keep us advised.  Thanks for posting, I love a good mystery and the opportunity to learn something new .  RDB 

WACA Guest
March 10, 2021 - 1:09 pm

When I bought the sight I was sure it was the right base code, which I researched then.  But you’re right, it’s a little tall.  I had to file the bottom of the shaft so it would screw down enough to hit where aiming.  Because of that, I may put it on the 1885, if higher is better for them, but should be better for longer ranges with a .25-20. 

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
March 12, 2021 - 2:33 am

1885-L.W.-Sight-001.JPGImage Enlarger1885-L.W.-Sight-002.JPGImage Enlarger

This is the Lettered sight on my 25 W.C.F. low-wall.  You might notice that the stem pivot point is set back further than on your sight.  Only the height of the peep hole will matter in the end.  You might also check to see if your barrel mounted elevator is possibly mounted in reverse.   Congratulations on a really nice rifle.  RDB

NY
WACA Member
March 12, 2021 - 3:40 am

rogertherelic said

This is the Lettered sight on my 25 W.C.F. low-wall.  You might notice that the stem pivot point is set back further than on your sight.

That’s the “S” coded sight, the $300+ one, supposedly made that way to give extra clearance for loading LONG cartridges. 

Deluxe Low Walls are damned rare!

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
March 12, 2021 - 6:08 pm

Funny story about my dandy little low wall.  Right after I bought it I headed over to Bert’s table, at the Big Reno Show, to get his views on the gun.  He stated that it looked fine to him and it matched the letter.  We removed the tang sight to reveal the brilliant case colors underneath on the upper tang.  Then he was amazed at the pristine bore.  I was pleased even more at this point to get his approval knowing his appreciation for single shot rifles.  What I never thought mention to him was the fact it was chambered for the 25-20 Model 92 cartridge.  I wasn’t aware the cartridge wasn’t available until 1894 and it had a different caliber marking than the 25 W.C.F. marking on my barrel.  My gun, serial #60131 was shipped March 24, 1893.  I have added a picture of the muzzle so you will understand how the relined bore was missed.  It is still one of my treasures even knowing it has very little collector value.  The Model 92 25-20 cartridge has always been a favorite.  RDB

85-Muzzel-001.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
March 12, 2021 - 6:25 pm

clarence said

rogertherelic said

This is the Lettered sight on my 25 W.C.F. low-wall.  You might notice that the stem pivot point is set back further than on your sight.

That’s the “S” coded sight, the $300+ one, supposedly made that way to give extra clearance for loading LONG cartridges. 

Deluxe Low Walls are damned rare!  

Clarence, 

I didn’t realize deluxe low walls were rare.   Here is a picture of mine.  22 short.   Mine has the lyman sight marked SB for the 22 with the #43 windage stem…..Thanks to Roger!1885-3.jpgImage Enlarger1885-4.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
March 12, 2021 - 6:32 pm

rogertherelic said
I have added a picture of the muzzle so you will understand how the relined bore was missed.

The “ring” at the muzzle of a lined bore can be hidden by stopping the drill used to ream for the liner just short of the muzzle.  But the “red flag” that can’t be hidden is a perfect, new bore!

“Little collector value”?  Put it on the block & watch the bidding frenzy that ensues!

WACA Guest
March 14, 2021 - 11:27 pm

rogertherelic said

….  You might also check to see if your barrel mounted elevator is possibly mounted in reverse….

Jeeze, I see what you mean.  Some people shouldn’t ever be allowed to touch a gun, I have a friend that will do stuff like that to everything he touches. I’ll see how goofed up the rear sight it when it arrives, hopefully I can just pull it out and switch ends. 

NY
WACA Member
March 15, 2021 - 1:08 am

AZshot said

rogertherelic said

….  You might also check to see if your barrel mounted elevator is possibly mounted in reverse….

Jeeze, I see what you mean.  Some people shouldn’t ever be allowed to touch a gun, I have a friend that will do stuff like that to everything he touches. I’ll see how goofed up the rear sight it when it arrives, hopefully I can just pull it out and switch ends.   

Roger is right–definitely reversed.  Better, however, than correcting that mistake is knocking it out & replacing it with a tang sight, even if you have to take it off your pump.

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
March 15, 2021 - 9:14 pm

Make sure the elevator and rear barrel sight haven’t left a tell tale wear mark before removing.  If there are marks on the barrel I would leave the rear sight in position.  RDB

NY
WACA Member
March 15, 2021 - 10:02 pm

rogertherelic said
Make sure the elevator and rear barrel sight haven’t left a tell tale wear mark before removing.  If there are marks on the barrel I would leave the rear sight in position.  RDB  

Probably will be marks on brl.  But is his main objective admiring it in his gun rack or shooting it?  If the latter, it needs to go, at least temporarily.

As Townsend Whelen wrote many times, an open rear sight is the enemy of accurate shooting.

WACA Guest
March 16, 2021 - 2:31 am

Here’s what works on my other guns.  Use the barrel sight in it’s lowest position for short range, a tang sight for long.  It’s not like your peep won’t see over the buckhorn. No need to be popping 120 year old sights out of dovetails.  If that wasn’t part of the plan, they wouldn’t have made them foldable. 

25-50 yards – Rocky Mountain sight

100-200 yards – tang (TBD which)

NY
WACA Member
March 16, 2021 - 4:17 am

AZshot said
 Use the barrel sight in it’s lowest position for short range, a tang sight for long.  It’s not like your peep won’t see over the buckhorn. No need to be popping 120 year old sights out of dovetails.  If that wasn’t part of the plan, they wouldn’t have made them foldable. 

You’re entitled to your own opinion, but it was not shared by Wm. Lyman, who presumably knew the most effective way to make use of his tang sights:  first, remove the barrel sight was his cardinal rule.  But don’t take my word for it–order one of Cornell’s cheap Lyman repros & read his mounting instructions yourself.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
March 16, 2021 - 4:49 am

clarence said

AZshot said
 Use the barrel sight in it’s lowest position for short range, a tang sight for long.  It’s not like your peep won’t see over the buckhorn. No need to be popping 120 year old sights out of dovetails.  If that wasn’t part of the plan, they wouldn’t have made them foldable. 

You’re entitled to your own opinion, but it was not shared by Wm. Lyman, who presumably knew the most effective way to make use of his tang sights:  first, remove the barrel sight was his cardinal rule.  But don’t take my word for it–order one of Cornell’s cheap Lyman repros & read his mounting instructions yourself.  

Winchester apparently did not agree with Mr. Lyman either, as they routinely installed tang sights on Single Shot rifles with a standard barrel mounted sight.  I own three such rifles that letter with a tang sight and have a factory installed open sight.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263