Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 17, 2013 - 3:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Finally took the time to take a few pics of a 3rd model Deluxe 1873 I picked up at the Cody show, SN 252256. It’s not a high condition gun, but clean and original with no major detractions to speak of. Rocky Mt. blade front sight, Sporting rear, Lyman #1 peep added later but good case color underneath and finish matches rifle so I think its been on there a long time. Pretty good bore as a bonus. Case colors have silvered out on the frame, but it’s the wood that really carries the rifle. I traded another marginal brown patina 44wcf 73 towards it so it was a good upgrade for me. Anyway, the pics aren’t the best, but thought I’d share anyway.

Factory ledger shows:
Rifle
Octagon
Checkered Stock, Pistol Grip
Casehardened
Date in – Nov. 8, 1887
Shipped – Nov. 14, 1887

Gary

DSCF2523.jpgImage Enlarger
DSCF2520.jpgImage Enlarger
DSCF2525.jpgImage Enlarger
DSCF2531.jpgImage Enlarger
DSCF2534.jpgImage Enlarger

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
August 17, 2013 - 7:25 pm

Gary,

Nice original looking deluxe you picked up.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
August 18, 2013 - 6:12 am

Real pretty wood on that gun Gary. Too me, the wood makes the gun. Nice upgrade!

Matt

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2306
August 18, 2013 - 6:51 am

Congratulations on the new acquisition Gary. Nice looking rifle.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
August 18, 2013 - 8:06 am

Thanks for the comments, guys. Yes, its a good example of how the wood can make or break a gun. That being said, the untouched screws, perfect magazine end cap, and dust cover that works perfectly makes up for the lower condition metal. It was an opportunity to own a 73 deluxe without having to trade the kids college fund to do it.

Gary

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2306
August 18, 2013 - 9:29 am

pdog72 wrote:

It was an opportunity to own a 73 deluxe without having to trade the kids college fund to do it.

That is a good choice to make. Keep the college fund. Trade the kid for a Deluxe in 44 WCF and you still have the cash for another gun!!! It really is all so simple.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
August 18, 2013 - 11:04 pm

Sounds like you have it all figured out, Michael.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Forum Posts: 960
August 19, 2013 - 6:14 pm

Gary

Gorgeous woodwork on that one. Kind of neat it got used some long ago and has a decent bore too. I bet the original owner strutted around a little when that rifle arrived. Now we do that with photos on the internet I guess!

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
August 20, 2013 - 7:55 pm

I have an antique 1892 in 38-40 as well, also with a nice bore. Think I’ll take them both out together and see which one shoots better. Now that would be fun. One of my goals is to start shooting some of them more rather than just petting them at home.

Gary

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
August 20, 2013 - 8:19 pm

pdog72 said
One of my goals is to start shooting some of them more rather than just petting them at home.

Gary

That would be a good idea… your wife might get jealous if you spend too much time "petting" those old Winchesters Laugh

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
August 21, 2013 - 7:30 pm

Yes, I think in a brief fit of anger she may have hinted at that once….. 😯

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
September 10, 2013 - 5:39 pm

I don’t know how I missed this. That is absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful stocks, case hardened receiver, octagon barrel … what more could a fellow ask for. Of all the classic Winchesters, if I could have my pick it would be either a deluxe ’73 or a deluxe ’76.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: XLIV, 30Gov03, bhutch, clarence, Nevada Paul, 86Win, Kris Miller, Jeremy P
Guest(s) 189
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727