Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester Model 1894 manuf. 1897. A couple of questions.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
The People's Republic of Maryland
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 27, 2020 - 1:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I just bought my first Winchester rifle. It’s a Model 1894 that was manufactured in 1897. It’s probably a 10% condition gun per the Blue Book. I started the disassembly process last night. No small feat I found out. I’ve never had a gun that had so much crud built up in the action. I’m shocked the action even worked. Most had to be scraped off with a brass tool because it was like carbon. I’m still working on it.

Anyway, are there some parts I should automatically replace while I’m in here? My guess is, from the look of the rifle, everything is 124 year old (including the crud). Nothing appears broken though.

The firing pin was really tough to get out. I actually had to use a small punch to lightly tap it out. I cleaned it and the channel and it went in easier, but the very last 1/4 inch it had to be lightly tapped in. Is this normal? The pin moves normally when I shake the bolt.

The stock has no finish, and no visible cracks or repairs, but the wood grain is pretty open. I’m not sure if this is normal or not. I know I’ve seen other antique rifles with wood that looked like this. Should I put something on the stock finish? If so, what was the original finish on a very early Model 1894.

I don’t plan on regularly shooting this rifle, but I think it deserves some respect and TLC.

Thanks in advance.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4968
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
October 29, 2020 - 1:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Welcome to the affliction, hope this old warhorse is just the first of many. I’m a little concerned about your description of the firing pin but if it moves freely it was probably just a burr or bit of debris somewhere. Be certain that it retracts fully into the bolt. As you’re cleaning look for worn spots, rough edges indicating broken parts and look the springs over carefully. Check the receiver for cracks, especially at the front. Don’t overlook the magazine tube, lots of stuff seems to find a home there in these old guns. Recently found a screw rolling around in one, still trying to figure that one out. Most guns this age I’d consider replacing the springs but for some reason I’ve found relatively few bad ones on the old Winchesters I tinker with. 

I’m NOT a gunsmith, if you have any safety concerns don’t hesitate to take it to a gunsmith and let him look it over. These are the things I look at, I’m sure the more knowledgeable people will have some good tips to offer.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4968
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323