Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Trigger problem on an 1894
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 91
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 11, 2023 - 1:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a Winchester 1894 made in 1907 that has a trigger problem, when I load the chamber and pull the trigger the trigger is a hair trigger and I mean hair !! Then you work the action and chamber another round you pull the trigger and it takes ten pounds or even more to fire the gun. Chamber another round and who knows what the trigger pull is going to be. Because of this I don’t let anyone else shoot this rifle. Has anyone one of you guys experienced anything like this? I had the gun apart once looking for the obvious, but nothing jumped out at me. May have to tear it apart again for a closer look. I’m thinking maybe one of the pins are worn and the sear contact areas are not lining up after every shot.  If you guys have never heard or seen anything like this would any of you happen to know of a good gunsmith in the Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan or Pennsylvania area that I could get next to a see if we could rectify this issue. Thank you all very much in advance.    

Scott      a.k.a. Rat Rod Mac

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 12, 2023 - 1:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I was at a local gun show recently and talked to a local gun dealer/94 gun smith about a 94 head space issue I was having. This guy bought a lot of messed up 1894’s cheap only to spend 15 minutes fixing them and selling for a profit. His advice on my issue was spot on. One of the problems he talked about was the trigger locking pin on the lower tang and how it could make it difficult to open the lever if the spring was dirty or weak. This is probably not your problem but his point was to think about all related parts around the problem area and how they affect the function of that part. T/R

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306