Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Shimming 1894 barrel?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 16, 2015 - 5:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I recently acquired a 94 SRC (1909) complete working receiver without barrel and mag.  I purchased an SRC nickel steel barrel and mag, but when the barrel is screwed into the receiver it gos in to far and the bolt won’t close.  To avoid major work and expense is it possible to shim the barrel in front of the receiver and check headspace?  Any ideas from those who know?

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
October 16, 2015 - 5:59 pm

Bill,

You have 2 things that have to happen. The head space has to be right and the barrel has to timed correct so it tightens when the top of the barrel is alined with the top of the receiver. How far off is the timing?

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 348
October 16, 2015 - 6:12 pm

You really didn’t give enough information.

Before we even make a guess as to the best solution, we need to first understand what is going on.

We need to know the current shank length, and the distance from the face of the frame to the face of the bolt.

If the extractor cut is not at TDC, the bolt won’t close because of the extractor hitting the barrel, how much past TDC is the barrel turning.

WACA Guest
October 18, 2015 - 7:08 pm

I can’t do any measuring now because I have given it to a gunsmith to look at.  I know what you are talking about on the TDC.  I have had the barrel extractor aligned with the extractor on the bolt.  When the barrel is hand tightened even with the barrel recession and the extractor lined up the barrel goes in just far enough that the bolt will not completely close.  When the barrel is loosened a couple of turns and aligned TDC, the bolt closes complete and tight.  However, when this is done there is a small space (approx. 1/16 “) exposed on the barrel in front of the receiver.  I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about shimming the barrel and is it acceptable to do.  

The receiver, as is understand, was from a 1909 30 wcf.  The barrel is 30 wcf.  I assumed that any 30 wcf barrel would be interchangeable with any 94 receiver.  Evidently not.

Thanks to you who offered advice!

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
October 18, 2015 - 7:27 pm

Bill,

1/16″ is a long way off. I don’t ever recall seeing a gun that someone shimmed the barrel. What your gun smith will probable do is cut the shoulder of the barrel back so it times right then cut the end so you get the correct head space and then rechamber it.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
October 18, 2015 - 9:35 pm