Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Repairing Stock on an 1894... Broken Toe
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 3, 2019 - 6:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Very nice 1894 Takedown has a broken toe on the crescent butt.

Rather than attempting to fix it myself, I would prefer to have a person with expertise work on it.

Do you folks know who fixes these old stocks?  I’m in Oregon, but shipping is also an option.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
August 3, 2019 - 1:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

How well do the two pieces fit together? Some pictures would be nice. 

WACA Guest
August 3, 2019 - 7:07 pm

The rifle slipped in a gun-sock.  The toe hit concrete…Aaaaaugh!  Only two slivers were found, so there is no repairing it with the original pieces.

I’ll see if I can get a photo.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6369
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 3, 2019 - 8:21 pm

FromTheWoods said

Rather than attempting to fix it myself, I would prefer to have a person with expertise work on it.

You’d better!  An amateurish repair is not much of an improvement over doing nothing. The grain & stain of the replacement wood will have to be carefully matched, & anybody capable of doing a first-class job is going to be plenty busy.  Maybe the Oregon Arms Collectors Assn could recommend a stockmaker in your area.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
August 3, 2019 - 9:53 pm

Are the pieces still in the sock by chance? 

WACA Guest
August 4, 2019 - 1:58 am

Broken-stock-1a.jpgImage EnlargerBroken-stock-2.JPGImage Enlarger

Makes a ’94 lover ill!

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
August 4, 2019 - 5:56 pm

The hardest part of this repair is finding a piece of walnut that will match the grain. The new wood would have to have the darker striations that run perpendicular to the straight grain. The area needs to be made flat so the new piece can be glued on after shaping.  Experimenting on the wood block before cutting the new piece will help determine the stain mix and finish to be used.  Someone who does this for a living and has a good stockpile of walnut can do it.  Some grain work can be done with stain or paint to help match.  I’m sorry but I no longer have a contact for this type of work. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
August 5, 2019 - 1:56 am

*If* you can’t make it look original, then my recommendation is to go the opposite direction.  I had an old SAA I gave to a friend.  It had a chunk of wood missing.  He had a guy fashion a piece of turquoise to fit with some brass edging.  I thought it looked pretty cool.  There are many other types of stone and metal and wood and ivory and whatever.  It’s like a blind guy with a nice eye patch, instead of sunglasses.  

I’ve also seen efforts to shore up cracked stocks with epoxy, screws, nails and whatnot.  Why?  I like the old brass wire, or rawhide nicely done.

Bring some art to the scars and don’t hide them.

Just my three cents.

NY
WACA Member
August 5, 2019 - 2:11 am

Huck Riley said
*If* you can’t make it look original…  

It CAN be done–but not quickly or easily.  I know a stockmaker who could make it “disappear,” if he’s willing to wait his turn–probably a couple of yrs.  Every gunsmith capable of doing first class work is snowed under.  The only exception would be finding someone willing to do a special favor.

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
August 5, 2019 - 2:11 am

If you fortunate enough to find all the piece(s) thats a plus.  The way it broke is the best way possible, instead of it hinge fracturing and splintering.  If it came off in one piece thats all the better and can likely be fitted back and glued.  You may have to tinker with the finish at the crack line depending on how well it can fit back in place.  One thing to keep in mind too is that the buttplate will have to be reshaped because it is likely bent.  Either that or get another one.  Would have to see the remaining pieces and how they fit back onto the buttstock before I decided what to do about it.  Nice rifle, makes me cringe thinking about it happening, but those kinds of things can happen to anyone. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Guest
August 5, 2019 - 7:43 am

Thank you, all, for your ideas.

The missing piece is gone.  It went into a hedge? flower bed? neighbor’s garden?  Black hole?  I trimmed bushes, raked, sifted, searched…gone.

Of all the advice, I guess I’ll choose the “special favor”!  That seems to be the only way it will get fixed by a pro.  Too bad that just might not be an option for me….

If you folks would continue to think about it, I’d appreciate knowing if you know of a person or a type of woodworker who might take on this challenge.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
August 5, 2019 - 1:53 pm

Our WACA President, Mike Hunter, is a gun smith and restoration person the last time I checked. I would reach out to him for ideas and/or references. He has done excellent work for me before. Peter

WACA Member
August 5, 2019 - 5:04 pm

Let me think about it.  I can make a couple phone calls.

NY
WACA Member
August 5, 2019 - 7:15 pm

1892takedown said
Nice rifle, makes me cringe thinking about it happening, but those kinds of things can happen to anyone.   

I’ve had a similar thing happen using the same kind of soft case that opens with a flap at one end.  Now, won’t use any case that doesn’t have a full length zipper, which I don’t try to open unless it’s laid down flat on a bench, table, or the ground.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 886
August 7, 2019 - 12:53 pm

You may be better off watching the auction sites for a good one and then putting your damaged one for sale on the auction sites. For the money spent on the repair/shipping VS. buying a good one and selling your damaged one you may come out better…….and have a stock that hasn’t had surgery.

Erin

WACA Member
August 7, 2019 - 4:50 pm

A good repair will help sell the gun.  Look up the Stock Doctor in Oregon.  541) 483-2182.  I have never seen his work.  But some WACA members have.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1096
August 7, 2019 - 8:51 pm

Bruce Dawson Missouri 417-256-0440.  Good,cheap and quick won’t happen .

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
August 18, 2019 - 9:20 pm

I was told that Brian Board in Missouri is really good but usually has a backlog up to a year.

Bud Bugnie in Ca. does a good job.  209) 267-5402.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2344
twobit: 2298