Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Repair of 1873 Rifle, Second Variation, 44-40 : Breechblock-Carrierblock hangup
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
California
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 486
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 8, 2017 - 4:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Repair of 1873 Rifle, Second Variation, 44-40 : Breechblock-Carrierblock hangup during closing cycle. SN 71568

The bolt locks about half way through the carrier block as the lever is brought back to the receiver/stock position and breechblock approaches the barrel.

There is about a 20% failure (mid-travel bolt lockup ) rate on the repeated cycling of the lever. The rifle does load and extract cartridges, but sometimes does not fully lift cartridge into position.

This is a first attempt to work on an 1873, and a planned event to learn more about the internal mechanisms and operation of the receiver.

I have gone over schematics, You Tube videos, and some books, but wanted some interpretive advise of the condition I’ve described.

I’m guessing carrier lever springs or link assembly problem ?

Any help appreciated.

Bill

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
May 8, 2017 - 2:04 pm

Bill,

It can be any combination of things. Toggle pins worn, toggles worn, receiver worn where the bolt rides against, elevator worn where the lifter arm rides, lifter arm bent and spring on the lifter arm.   You are going to cycle it slowly so you can find where the bind is. Troubleshooting a feed problem is very hard to diagnose since it can be one part or a combination of many. Did it work before and now has a problem? Manually lift and lower the elevator and see if it snaps to it normal up and down positions.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
May 8, 2017 - 2:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

From the description of the problem I would start with the carrier lever.  Aside from a possible bend in the arm, the cam area where the lifter contacts the finger lever may be badly worn.  George Stone’s “The Winchester 1873 Handbook has an excellent diagram of this part on page 61.  There is also a photo of one (without measurements) on homesteadparts.com.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

California
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 486
May 8, 2017 - 11:50 pm

Thanks Bob & Wayne.

I’ll get to working on it this weekend and look at the areas you both suggested.

I bought the rifle in a group from an estate and knew it needed some work. Have added side plate, loading gate and dust cover. The cycling problem existed when I received the gun. It’s got very good wood and metal, so a good project gun to get my feet wet. I’ll be back as my work progresses.

My thanks for your suggestions.

Bill

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., keith shaffer, Kris Miller, wclary
Guest(s) 178
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6394
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601