Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Removing a split case on a model 1894
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 72
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 17, 2015 - 4:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Have an early model 1894 in 38-55.  Fired it for the first time recently with factory ammo.  On the second round the case split and half of it was left in the chamber on ejection.  Upon inspection, the first round did show some swelling above the rim.  What might have caused this?  Also, what is the best way to extract the remaining case?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 201
June 17, 2015 - 6:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I would try to remove the case with this tool.

The cause is probably too much headspace. You can check it with this tool. You can also stick shot patches on the brass base and try how long the weapon locks. On the number of patches you will see the headspace.

Sorry for my bad english. 

Greetings from Germany

Steff

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
June 17, 2015 - 11:56 am

One way to remove a split case from a chamber is to thread a tap into the inside of the case remnant from the chamber end.   When it has a good bite in the case , a cleaning rod from the muzzle will be able to knock on the tap for purchase to loosen

Phil

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
June 17, 2015 - 12:24 pm

To make custom ammo to fit your oversize chamber to eliminate headspace issue that wont split cases is easy if you reload. Initially you will have to neck up cases with a slightly bigger neck mandrel.  Back off FLS die and bring down bit by bit until the case will chamber just a bit snug, This setting on your FLS die once determined should be good to lock right there and be the only setting you will need to reload  for this chamber.(no need for the mandrel step anymore)  The case head will be against the bolt and cases will fire form to your chamber. Inner rim will have a gap and no longer headspace traditionally, but no matter , as long as case head is touching the bolt, or just clear for faster cycling (hunting)

Phil

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 352
June 18, 2015 - 1:57 am

I would try a tight fitting patch from the muzzle end, Ive removed  a few stuck cases, the worst is when the entire rim is removed. In those cases I will plug the bore near the chamber, then pour lead into the chamber, wait for it to cool and knock it out.

Once you get the remnants out, you may want to consider a chamber cast, that will tell you what’s going on.  generally the 94 in 38-55 dosent suffer too much form headspace issues. My guess is an oversize chamber, possibly from too much cleaning over the years.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
June 18, 2015 - 7:09 pm

I wonder if you have a slightly ringed chamber, although I would expect the ring to be further in.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Yadlosky
Guest(s) 111
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250