Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Pre-64 1894 30-30
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 31, 2021 - 3:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hey Folks.  First post here.  The wife took me to a local show yesterday for our anniversary and got me a ’94 built in 1955.  Definitely used, but not abused.  Rifling is in excellent shape.  After a complete disassembly, everything was in really good shape with the exception of the tube spring, light rust on the receiver, and typical blue wear.  The wood is definitely aged, but in surprisingly good shape.  Has a really nice old Redfield aperture sight on it.  Not sure it it came with it or not, but it is nice.  Anyway, after starting to put it back, I was hoping to get some help with the following if possible.

• Barrel Band Screw Problem:  Scrubbed everything down and went back to reassemble.  Here’s where I’m having some issues.  The barrel band screw on the forearm just won’t line up.  It was the only screw I had some difficulty removing.  I heard this was relatively common, so any pointers here would be appreciated.
  • Hammer Issue:  After reassembly, the hammer will not longer lock open.  Seems to be just a little off from being able to lock open.  I can lock it open after cycling, and it works perfectly, but can no longer get it to lock it open.  It worked prior to cleaning LOL.  Should I look for a replacement hammer, or is this a common mistake I’ve made.
  • Tube Spring:  I also need a good recommendation for a Tube Spring.  The tube is exactly 19.25″.  This is my first pre-war Winchester 1894, so I want to make sure I get the right spring, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
November 1, 2021 - 12:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

James,

Are you sure that the magazine tube is fully seated in the receiver, and that it is properly oriented? The groove milled in the bottom of the magazine tube needs to be perfectly aligned to the barrel band screw hole. It is is not aligned perfectly, the screw will bind.

If the hammer was working properly before you took it apart, but now will not stay in the full-cock position, you did something wrong.

Why do you believe it necessary to replace the magazine tube spring? Is it broken? If it is not broken. carefully clean it and put it back in.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 514
November 1, 2021 - 2:33 am

I wouldn’t have taken the gun apart.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
November 1, 2021 - 11:25 am

The tube is seated correctly, and the screw does clear.  However, it looks off center as it meets the other side.  The stock is properly seated, and the band seems so as well.  I probably just need to mess with it.

In regards to the spring, when it was removed, it was difficult to get out due to being bent out of shape in numerous places.  Difficult to reinstall, but I managed to do so.  I. just figured a new spring might be better if I could find one.

I’m sure I’ve done something with the hammer as well.  I’ve taken it apart and back several times now with the same result.

Yes, in retrospect, I probably should have left it as it was, however, it was so dirty that the action was affected.  Years of muck collected all over it.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
November 1, 2021 - 1:18 pm

James,

Assuming your gun was in working order before you started and you did not force anything back together, you have not wrecked anything yet. It’s time to get help.  Winchester made several million 1894s so most gunsmiths can help. If you proceed on your own do your research first, book, video, ect. Make sure you have the proper tools.

Your gun might not have been in working order when you started, but either way you can get help on the Forum by posting lots of good pictures. Many of it’s members have been there done that. T/R

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
November 1, 2021 - 2:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

James,

As far as the forearm or barrel bands, they can be a bugger. I’ve removed some that I know for sure were never removed after they left the factory and they don’t want to go back together very nicely. Try getting the problem screw started first before securing the band that will start. If it still won’t start make sure the screw is not bent. If that doesn’t work try turning the band 180* and come in from the other side. If all else fails you may have to use a small round needle file to slightly enlarge the milled slot in the magazine tube to provide proper relief for the screw to clear and line up properly. It usually only takes a couple of passes with the file. (a few thousandths)  A touch of cold blue in the relief slot after filing and no one will ever be the wiser. If you end up needing parts let me know, I can probably help you out.

As far as the hammer problem, check the hammer sear notches to make sure there is no crud built up in them or to see if they are damaged or filed on . Check the sear it self to see if it has been filed or altered. Tough to diagnose without having the rifle in hand…….

Erin

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: TR, 86Win, [email protected], 12 NUT, SureShot
Guest(s) 234
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323