Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Pin removal for 1894 carbine front sight
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
The People's Republic of Maryland
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 3, 2020 - 11:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

With a special thank you to Big Larry I was able to equip my 1894 SRC with a proper rear carbine sight. That’s when I found out I ALSO have the wrong front sight on the gun. I need a much taller carbine blade sight. I tried to knock out the pin for the front sight, but that baby will not budge. I’m afraid to hit it too hard for fear of breaking loose the silver solder that holds on the front sight base. If any of you guys have any suggestions, I’m all ears. Actually, since we’re on an internet forum I guess I’m really “all eyes”.

I’m waiting on my front sight, which I purchased from Homestead. Unfortunately, after 14 days it still hasn’t arrived. The last scan was in Tucson Arizona on November 21. I’m in Maryland.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 298
December 4, 2020 - 11:01 am

Keep it wet with Kroil (my local NAPA carries it) while you’re waiting on the new front site.  After a few days, give it a go with a brass punch and hammer.  If that doesn’t help, try applying heat to the pin with a soldering iron.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

WACA #10293

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 794
December 8, 2020 - 3:39 pm

I believe the pin has a slight taper and should be remover from right to left, as you look down the barrel.  Correct me if this is incorrect.  Thanks, RDB

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4566
December 9, 2020 - 9:17 pm

rogertherelic said
I believe the pin has a slight taper and should be remover from right to left, as you look down the barrel.  Correct me if this is incorrect.  Thanks, RDB  

Roger, I really don’t know but up until recently I though everything went left to right.  I was proved wrong when trying to remove a pin on a rifle.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2291