Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1876 not feeding cartridges
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Iowa
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 19, 2020 - 2:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi, need some help please. Have a 1876 in 45/60 that seems to be in time and cycle correctly except when the lifter is carrying the cartridge up to the chamber level the head of the cartridge catches on the front of the bolt. The finger lever is down as far as it will go but the bolt still needs to retract about 1/16” when I push the bolt further to the back with my finger the cartridge will clear. Toggle links look good and so do pins but think it has to be one or the other or both? Sure would like any advice. My grandpa’s gun trying to get it to work for him. Thanks

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4281
October 19, 2020 - 3:59 am

I just went through this with another with the same problem on a 73. What I found after him sending me pictures is the frame, bolt or firing pin are worn and the bolt is sagging changing the geometry of the toggles so it does not go back enough. You could have the same issue but check the elevator when in the down position to see if its flush with the bottom.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Iowa
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
October 20, 2020 - 12:12 am

Bob, all that makes sense and could see it being one of them. The elevator is flush with bottom when action is locked. Can’t see any excessive wear or problem areas with the bolt or firing pin but hard to tell for sure without having new specs or good parts to compare to. I am going to look closer at the parts and really good at the frame like you suggested. Was hoping it was just the toggle pins but nothing is ever that easy. Sure appreciate the advice will let you know what if anything I figure out.

Mark

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4281
October 20, 2020 - 12:47 am

Mark,

Remove the side plates but keep the toggles in place and lever the action open full with the lever with no shells in it keeping the gun upright like you would shoot it. Don’t push on anything else, just the lever. Take a picture framing the receiver showing one side and send it to me at my address below my picture. With take I will see if I can see any bolt sage.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters: