Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Miroku 1886 Hammer strut + mainspring + lower tang assembly
Avatar
ika-jkim
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 5
Member Since:
July 26, 2026
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
August 1, 2026 - 5:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Hi everyone,

I’ve been having big trouble with reassembling the lower tang of my 1886 back. Initially when taking it apart I didn’t manage to properly capture the mainspring so it flew out, I couldn’t recapture it myself so I took it to a local gunsmith and after struggling they managed to get it captured.

This then happened two more times haha, This time when trying to assemble the lower tang onto the receiver, the temporary pin I had in the hammer strut angled, which I believe caused the hammer strut to be too tall, and making it tough to install onto the hammer. I tried to angle the temporary pin back closer to 90 degrees, and the whole thing came apart again.

I read someone reccomended to  install the hammer in the Lower Tang outside the Receiver, then insert the Receiver (Hammer) Screw into the Lower Tang, then allow the Hammer to fall as far forward as possible and insert the Mainspring and Hammer Strut in the Lower Tang, and then pulling the hammer back to recapture the spring, however when I try that, the little metal part that the hammer strut slots into, keeps pushing out of the lower tang.

Anyone have any tips or anything I’m missing to make this easier? maybe I damaged one of the parts, not sure.

Attaching pics below:

View post on imgur.com

Thank you!

Avatar
Honest Jon
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 30
Member Since:
July 7, 2026
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
August 27, 2026 - 4:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s been awhile since I had a similar struggle with a Miruko 94 but two things really helped. I used a drill bit to pin the spring back…no bending. And a needle nose vice grip to hold the spring back “almost” far enough so the final compression squeeze was not quite so far. Might help😵‍💫.

Jon

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Jeremy Scott., Byron Russell, Tedk, Michael B., Randycrockett, Ben, [email protected], Michael Elli, Green River Gus, kevindpm61
Guest(s) 184
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7636
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6865
steve004: 5845
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3066
twobit: 2738
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2388
Newest Members:
Kevin Paradis
Vny777
Brick767
Steve72
E.S.Blofeld
Keith gun
dirkb
Mustang66
Gerald Lucas
IMCWC
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16283
Posts: 149023

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10973
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation