Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Correcting excess headspace on model 1894 rifle
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 20
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 25, 2022 - 8:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have an early model 1894 rifle (SN 93,606) that suggests a manufacture date around 1897.  This rifle has what appears to be an original Winchester barrel marked .30 WCF, but I thought that cartridge was not introduced until after that date…so I’m puzzled by this, but today I have a different question:

I have been shooting it, and the primers (factory loadings) are pushed out noticeably, indicating a headspace problem.

I confirmed an excess headspace problem by closing the bolt on a .30-30 Field headspace gauge.  

Subsequently, I’m trying to determine if I can repair this condition.  I understand (well, I read on the internetLaugh) that model 94 locking bolts are marked (when oversize?) and can be used to reduce headspace.  I have found one used locking bolt that is in fact marked (on rear surface) “.005” which suggests to me it is 5 thousandths oversize, compared to a nominal thickness bolt, I suppose.  But I can’t measure any difference in thickness (between the two bearing surfaces) in this bolt and the one I removed from the rifle.  And, when I swap out the two locking bolts, I can close the bolt (and locking bolt) equally easily on the field gage.  The rifle has excessive headspace with either locking bolt.  Perhaps the unmarked one in the rifle is already “oversize”…?

Can someone here confirm that the markings I describe on the locking bolt (see attached photo) do in fact indicate a thicker locking bolt?  Do I perhaps just need to find one with a larger marking?  Most of the others I have seen (on eBay) are either not marked or they have a marking like “16” or “22”, and I don’t know if those marking are indicating a thicker bolt, or just represent some assembly markings.

If I can’t find a locking bolt that alleviates the headspace problem, I have contemplated adding weld metal to the front bearing surface of the replacement locking bolt and filing it back flat to add thickness, but I’m afraid this might be beyond my capabilities.

I will appreciate any guidance you guys can offer.

Thanks,

Ray

Ray James, College Station, Texas

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
May 25, 2022 - 9:42 pm

Ray,

Winchester introduced the 30 WCF cartridge in May of 1895. Model 1894 S/M 93606 is a post-1900 production rifle… several years after the 30 WCF was introduced.

The bolt you found marked .005 is indeed 5-thousandths oversize. Finding one that is larger oversized than .005 is very unlikely.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 201
May 25, 2022 - 10:17 pm

Ray,

If it was my gun I would try to make special ammo for it.

– Make a disc on the front of the rim and use it to bring the cartridge to the bottom of the breech (possibly with tape cut to size)
– When firing these cartridges, the shoulder of the case should be shifted further forward due to fire forming.
– Use these cases for reloading but only calibrate the case neck.

Now these cases should be in contact with the bottom of the breech even without the washers.

I am not a gunsmith and do not guarantee success. The considerations are only theoretical in nature and I’ve never done that. I would appreciate your opinion on this.

Stefan

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 20
May 26, 2022 - 12:21 am

Stefan:

I had considered the solution you suggest, but basically (as I think it through) I worry that it may not address the concern.

I think the hazard of excess headspace in this rifle must be one of two things:  

1) The primer pushes all the way out and gas escapes thru the primer hole and onto the shooter.

2) The case, if too much headspace, may separate where unsupported by the chamber wall, with similar outcome as above, but maybe allowing even more gas flow than above.

Now your suggestion seems like it would prevent 1) but not 2).  Whether 2) is the real hazard or not, I don’t know, but it is my concern.

I have poor-boy-ed two other rifles with excessive headspace; a 30-40 Krag….I cut a shim (forget the thickness) from brass shim stock and epoxied it to the recessed face of the bolt.  That rifle performed fine after the fix, but I eventually had the barrel set back and properly rechambered. The second was a Winchester model 43 in .218 Bee, which is a model notorious for headspace problems.  It would split nearly every other case fired.  That rifle has a two-piece bolt, so I fabricated a .005 steel shim to fit between the bolt and bolt head, reducing the headspace by .005.   That rifle now functions flawlessly, and you can feel the resistance of the factory cartridge when closing the bolt.  Incidentally, when shooting that .218 Bee with excessive headspace, I don’t think I ever felt any gas escaping when the cartridge head separated.  

I wear safety glasses when shooting, but usually not when hunting, and I want to hunt with the 1894, so I’m a bit concerned about fixing it by fireforming longer cases.  I hope I can perhaps modify a locking bolt to reduce the headspace…

Ray

Ray James, College Station, Texas

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
May 26, 2022 - 2:01 am

If I wanted to shoot the rifle I’d have my gunsmith set the barrel back. May need to rent a chamber reamer if he doesn’t have one.  If brass and ammo were easier to find I’d just toss the brass after firing. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
May 27, 2022 - 1:06 am

Unless it was a family heirloom or something, I would sell it and put the money toward something else.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6381
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303