Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Any 1873 Guru's Here ?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 142
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 16, 2018 - 6:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have an issue with my 1873 that I need some help with. About every 4th or 5th time I cycle the action with a full magazine tube (32-20), the cartridge will enter the carrier but jams the carrier to where it will not raise. I have to use a thin screwdriver to relieve the pressure of the cartridge waiting in the magazine tube in order to cycle the lever to move the carrier up to the bore. I did notice that if I only load 5 or 6 rounds in the mag tube that the action will not hang. It doesnt seem like there is excessive pressure by the magazine tube spring. It sticks out about 6″ beyond the end of the mag tube with the end cap removed. My theory is that the carrier is dropping too low in the reciever. In the picture below, you can see that the carrier sits about 1/16″ below the bottom of the carrier. Would this cause the action to hang like it is doing? Thanks, Cliff

011.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Posts: 2119
August 16, 2018 - 6:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

There is this guy, more of a legend really, that is the ultimate guru of the Model 1873.  He is well known by his superhero name of “1873man”.  I am sure he will be along shortly to help you out.  You may have to wait a bit while he changes in a phone booth but it will be worth the wait. Laugh

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
August 16, 2018 - 6:50 pm

Cliff,

The drooping carrier might be causing that from wear of the carrier or a bent carrier lever but I’m guessing its the length of the shells are too short causing the next one to partially enter the carrier. Are you shooting reloads?  If the bullets are not crimped good the bullets can be pushed deeper in the case when loaded in the magazine along with some recoil from shooting. When you have this problem, remove the shells and measure their over all length and see if they are the proper length. If the bullets are the correct OAL then look at the carrier.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
August 16, 2018 - 6:55 pm

1873man said
Cliff,

The drooping carrier might be causing that from wear of the carrier or a bent carrier lever but I’m guessing its the length of the shells are too short causing the next one to partially enter the carrier. Are you shooting reloads?  If the bullets are not crimped good the bullets can be pushed deeper in the case when loaded in the magazine along with some recoil from shooting. When you have this problem, remove the shells and measure their over all length and see if they are the proper length. If the bullets are the correct OAL then look at the carrier.

Bob  

hey Bob. I think you are right. The next shell is slightly entering the carrier block. I was shooting factory Black Hills ammo. I’ll see if I can find the specs for the length of a 32-20 cartridge and measure the ones I have left in the box. Thanks!

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
August 16, 2018 - 7:00 pm

JWA said
There is this guy, more of a legend really, that is the ultimate guru of the Model 1873.  He is well known by his superhero name of “1873man”.  I am sure he will be along shortly to help you out.  You may have to wait a bit while he changes in a phone booth but it will be worth the wait. Laugh

Regards,  

Have ever tried to find a phone booth this day and age. Everybody has cell phones and public phone are all but gone, What am I to do!Laugh

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
August 16, 2018 - 7:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

So, a quick internet search shows that the 32-20 should have an overall length of 1.592″. The Black Hills I was shooting measures 1.538″. I have some Ultramax that measures 1.550″. HSM measures about 1.555″. I have called Black Hills to get thier thoughts and am awaiting a reply. I wonder who makes a longer 32-20?

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
August 16, 2018 - 7:58 pm

Black Hills called me back and thye said they normally load thier 32-20 to 1.560 but that they had a ran some too short awhile back. I have 8 boxes of the shorter ammo and they offered to replace it for me. Cant beat customer service like that! I feel sure that the extra length will cure the feeding issue. Thank you 1873man for bringing that to my attention!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 33
August 16, 2018 - 8:06 pm

Hey, if you are in need of a phone booth while traveling in the UP of Michigan I know where you can find one.  Just like old Winchester’s they are still in use up here ?.  So don’t throw away that cape yet. Interesting thread, thanks. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306