Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Picked up a 1903 Model 1892...problems
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 103
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 5, 2013 - 10:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi folks,

Maybe you can help….

Yesterday I picked up a Winchester 1892 in 38-40 for $400. The gun is in rough shape but I think I can save it. All the parts are there and it functions fine. There is a sliver of wood missing from the forend. The butt stock is in great shape.

I took it completely apart and put everything into the ultrasonic cleaner. Put it all back together and it is quite smooth functioning.

The bore is pretty proud and quite pitted. A .401 bullet will enter the muzzle with no force for about 3/4" and then it is engraved with rifling nicely. The chamber is pitted. Haven’t been able to shoot it yet. It might need a reline…We’ll see.

The issue I’m having is feeding….If I load ten rounds it will feed the first 9 fine, but it will not feed the last round. It doesn’t come up far enough to enter the chamber.

I have a modern 1892 (Japan) that I can compare the action sequence to. The only thing I see different is the elevator tends to drop down about a 1/32" when the lever is pulled back to push a cartridge into the chamber. The Mirkou 1892 the elevator stays right up top. On the old gun this seems to be because of wear on the inside of the receiver where the spring loaded plunger on the elevator contacts and should hold it in place.

The barrel on the Mirkou has quite a load ramp cut into the bottom of the chamber, the old rifle has zero load ramp.

And lastly, it will extract all rounds, but it only ejects about 70% of the time. The extractor looks like it is doing it’s job, but 30% of the time the cartridge disconnects from the extractor before the case is totally out of the chamber, and then it simply lies on top of the next round and jams up the works.

I love messing with these old guns. I’ve brought back to life a 1873 and an 1886 and a 1894 Take Down and a Marlin 1889 and a Marlin 1893…All were pretty much "basket cases" and now are being used to shoot Cowboy Action and for hunting.

But this 1892 has me really scratching my head!

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
September 5, 2013 - 3:15 pm

For the feed problem I would suspect the magazine spring is weak or the magazine follower has a problem. With no shells in it, check to see if you have good spring force on the follower and its not getting hung up or sticking. On a old gun the spring can get rusted to the point it does not have adequate force or a dent in the mag tube can cause a problem.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
September 5, 2013 - 3:58 pm

Thanks Bob,

There seems to be plenty of magazine spring force. It gets quite difficult to load the last four cartridges when loading ten.

But I ordered a few parts and a new screw kit from Homestead parts and a new magazine spring was only $6 so I ordered one.

Hopefully the new extractor a new ejector spring and a new carrier stop spring and pin will fix my issues.

Stay tuned!

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
September 5, 2013 - 4:02 pm

Roy,

Do you have plenty of spring force when you just put one in?

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
September 5, 2013 - 4:41 pm

Yes, it is easy pushing the cartridge into the receiver. There are zero dents in the magazine tube and I scrubbed and lightly sanded the interior to make it like new.

I thought the magazine plug looked a bit long so I put it in the lathe and turned a bit off the nose of it. No effect one way or the other.

I just ordered a barrel liner from Brownells and a new walnut forend.

I lined the barrel on an 1873 a few months ago and it came out beautifully. Shoots better than most guns I own!

You can read about that project here

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Thanks!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
September 5, 2013 - 4:42 pm

If I understand the problem correctly, the mag spring is not the problem, since it does load the cartridge completely into the lifter. The problem seems to be that the last cartridge does not quite lift enough …. although it might be something to do with there being no more cartridges in the mag, which does suggest something going on with the location of the mag spring cap …. is it coming out too far and interfering with the lifter?

WACA Guest
September 5, 2013 - 4:48 pm

It was not interfering with the lifter, but it was touching the left hand cartridge guide hinge piece so I thought this might be the issue.

I’m still not sure what the hinge piece does on this part…???

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
September 5, 2013 - 9:52 pm

If you take off the left cartridge guide, see if the cartridge stop spring is broken, missing, or not installed correctly. There should be spring tension on the cartridge stop. ❓

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Guest
September 6, 2013 - 1:50 am

The cartridge stop was jammed up. But this was resolved in the initial cleaning. It is working fine. I finally realized what it does. It holds a cartridge in the magazine while the other is being lifted.

WACA Guest
September 6, 2013 - 12:14 pm

I took the old girl out to the range at lunchtime today…….All the bullets except one went through the target sideways!….But I kinda knew that would happen. The 38-40 liner from Brownells is on its way….It’s strange that the gun ejected all the rounds…….but still wouldn’t feed the last cartridge.

Here are a few pictures:

DSC_5527-vi.jpgImage Enlarger
A huge chunk was missing so I sanded out a wedge shape and cut a piece of walnut I had laying around…Super-Glued it in place….sanded to shape….and stained with Minwax Gun Stock Red stain…..Not bad!

Many more pictures here:
http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/things-that-go-bang/

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 153
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034