Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1895 Lee Navy safety not engaging
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 15, 2019 - 1:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Don’t know if this is the correct forum for the question, if not would appreciate being pointed to where I should post it. Anyway, I have just acquired a 1st contract Winchester Lee Navy musket that’s in great shape and functions flawlessly except the safety stop lever will not engage the bolt. Based on my research the safety function is very simple…..the lug on the safety engages the lug on the bolt and pushes the bolt off the sear. Mines not doing that. I’ve looked at the sear lug and the firing pin lug and both appear to be OK…no breaks, scuffs or other apparent damage. I don’t want to replace the safety or firing pin unless necessary. Has anyone had a similar problem or has a suggestion on what I need to do to fix it. THanks.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
March 15, 2019 - 4:45 pm

Greg Hansman said
Don’t know if this is the correct forum for the question, if not would appreciate being pointed to where I should post it. Anyway, I have just acquired a 1st contract Winchester Lee Navy musket that’s in great shape and functions flawlessly except the safety stop lever will not engage the bolt. Based on my research the safety function is very simple…..the lug on the safety engages the lug on the bolt and pushes the bolt off the sear. Mines not doing that. I’ve looked at the sear lug and the firing pin lug and both appear to be OK…no breaks, scuffs or other apparent damage. I don’t want to replace the safety or firing pin unless necessary. Has anyone had a similar problem or has a suggestion on what I need to do to fix it. THanks.  

I hope someone has the answer.  I have 2 Lees.  The safety on my Sporter will not engage.  When you push the safety up there should be an audible click when it is engaged.  My sporter will go part way up but does not go far enough to engage.

WACA Member
March 22, 2019 - 6:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Greg if you haven’t seen this before you should take a look.  What I have figured out so far with my rifle is that the firing pin is not moving back far enough so the safety can be moved up to the lock position.  I can put a rag over the end of it and use a set of pliers to pull it out a bit then the safety will engage.  I took it apart oiled and brushed it but it still sticks.  Don’t see any problems but it is either hanging up somewhere or the spring has worn out?

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
March 22, 2019 - 10:11 pm

Thanks Chuck, I did see this video before and used it to disassemble mine to see where the 2 lugs are when it’s cocked and they appeared to be lined up perfectly. Used the pliers same as you have and the safety engaged and has worked ever since…..go figure Confused

WACA Member
March 23, 2019 - 4:23 pm

I took my gun apart yesterday and found my problem.  My firing pin is broke.  The tip is exposed but I couldn’t force it out.  I need to find a new firing pin assembly because someone in the past attached something on the broken end to keep the spring in place.  My gun is in 95% condition so finding a real high finish firing pin will be tough.   I will take my other gun apart to see what actually holds the spring in place.  I really have little desire to shoot this gun but it gives me another project. Cry

WACA Member
March 25, 2019 - 8:20 pm

I took both guns apart last night.  It appears that the Sporter has a different, 2 piece firing pin?  The tip appears to have it’s own spring?  I believe the gun will fire OK but the safety/bolt lock will not go up all of the way. After doing more research I need to take them apart and see what the lug on the firing pins look like. This lug was factory modified on a lot of the guns.

WACA Member
March 27, 2019 - 4:30 pm

Here are pictures of the two bolts.  The Sporter bolt has the pin to hold in the front part of the firing pin.  The other picture shows the two firing pins.  The shorter one is for the SporterLee-Navy-Bolts.jpgImage EnlargerLee-Navy-Firing-Pins.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rick C
Guest(s) 187
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323