Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Chambering/Lock Up
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 10, 2018 - 7:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Have a 1894 made in 1952 chambered in 30-30.  When I cycle it and right when it is going to lock up and put the round in Battery, the last 1/4 inch or so seems too tight.  It seemed to work OK, and I put 20 rounds through it.  When I cleaned it after, I noticed some brass shavings in the little notch where the tip of the extractor fits.  My guess is it is forcing its way past and taking a little piece out of the brass when it is forced past.  

You know, now that I’m thinking about this – and some other types of machines I’ve worked on.  I wonder if I should put a dummy round in it, and loosen several of the screws, and cycle it and then see if it does the same thing, and if not tighten them down.  I’ve seen that type of thing before where just a tiny little change can make a big difference.

Anyone ever seen this type of thing?  I’m actually thinking of an old single stage snow blower that I fixed up.  I just shook like crazy – what I read was to loosen the screws that lock the adjustment just a little so they are snug, but not tight – and then it sort of self adjusted when run, and then when cranked down the adjustment bolts it was perfectly balanced.

At least I got an idea.  Anything else I can look at?  When I have it out again I’d like to at least have a couple things to look at or try. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Tom D
Guest(s) 155
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160