Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Montgomery, Texas (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 114
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 4, 2015 - 11:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

All,

Picked up an SRC 1892 the other day in a .32 WCF caliber.  It is a serial number 549572.

Have a couple of issues that I would appreciate clarification on such as:

1) second barrel band; this gun seems to have just one and magazine hanger up front.

2) the magazine tube is split on the very end and the retaining screw and plug wont come out.

3) the hanger is not engaged so it does not hold anything.

I undid the forearm band and was able to completely remove the magazine tube, at which time I was able to get the spring out of the receiver end and then pull the carrier plug out of the receiver.  I looked at the hanger and it appears there is some sort of compound that put on one side of the hanger; my guess was to hold the hanger in place.  it is confusing because the hanger pin is only visible from one side and tapping on it does not move it. 

The magazine tube is pretty mangled as it looks like someone put it in a vise at one time because it has several spots where it is indented.  looking down the tube it does not appear to impede anything but was surprised when I tipped the tube up and five different size springs came out.  Not sure if it was done to give more force to get cartridges to move down the tube with the dents or the spring was just too weak.

It is a nice gun other than the magazine tube so I am resigned to put on a new one.  Just wondering if the barrel hanger/barrel band is going to cause problems when I order a new tube.  Also wondering if I need to measure the barrel dovetails to see if they are damaged; not sure what the correct size or alignment/orientation is spec.

Photo downloads are not my forte, but will try to get something once my computer help gets back.

Thanks for any help on this.

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
September 7, 2015 - 4:55 am

1) is the correct configuration for an old Winchester small caliber carbine.

2) & 3)  Can’t venture a reliable opinion without seeing a picture of the condition of the dovetail. This particular dovetail should be curved and the magazine tube ring should fit snugly by twisting it into place, not by drifting it across the flat barrel surface.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 216
September 10, 2015 - 1:33 pm

Like wincacher says the .25 and .32 bore 1892 carbine used a hanger owing to the smaller diameter of the magazine tube. The hangers are supposed to rotate 90 degrees into place but I have a cutoff 1894 that I modified to a straight dovetail, it is just a shooter. I would drill out the hanger pin and get a new one or in a pinch you can use a finish nail the right diameter, cut off and blued.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2303
September 13, 2015 - 7:53 pm

Hello PB,

When you get a chance could you look at this reference material and tell me some more details about your rifle so that I can add it into the research survey I am working on please?  Let me know if you have any further questions.  You can email me the photos to the red address in the link and  I will post them for you. 

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606355

Thanks

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
October 5, 2015 - 9:37 pm

Thanks to all that responded.  Just got it all back together again and looks pretty good for being well used.  Have a hang up with a couple of issues that I could use some advice on.

1.)  When levering back if I don’t really hit it hard at the end of the lever stroke the hammer will not stay in the cocked position.  Tinkered with the spring tension a little bit with no results and have this same problem with a couple of other lever actions as well.  Must be a simple fix to this?

2.)  When I pulled the guts out of the action I noticed that the ejector collar was missing and had problem with shells not ejecting prior to taking out.  Put everything back together including a new ejector collar and still no ejection of the shell.  Cartridge seems to feed properly but then can get hung up when closing the bolt and no ejection at all.  Is this a problem with the extractor spring?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
October 5, 2015 - 10:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Problem #1, in my experience, is usually due to any part or combination of the following:

The hammer and sear aren’t mating properly when the hammer is cocked.  You didn’t mention whether the hammer will stay cocked when done so manually.  Usually this is caused by the surface of the full-cock notch on the hammer has worn down or been filed down in an attempt to produce a hair-trigger effect.

Hammer-2.jpgImage Enlarger

Good safety notch and cocked notches should look like this.

DSCN1040-1.jpgImage Enlarger

This hammer shows the safety notch broken and the full cocked notch filed down.

Hope this helps. 

Don’t have enough info on your 2nd problem to offer any help at this time.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
October 6, 2015 - 1:45 am

Problem 1) The problem with the hammer may be just that, the top of the hammer is worn and the bolt wont push it back far enough or the bolt is sloppy in the receiver.  Ive had situations where the bolt doesnt push the hammer back all the way to engage the seer.  To correct I have sometimes just tightened or loosened the buttstock screw through the upper and lower tang–sounds crazy but Ive toyed with them enough to know that sometimes works.  More than likley your hammer is just worn out where the bolt engages at the top of the hammer or like Wincacher said, the seer may have been filed down.  Sounds like you may think about replacing the hammer.

Its doubtful but you may not be getting the full stroke on the lever if you have a large caliber lever in a small caliber rifle.  The small caliber lever will have a more pronounced spur (right).  Sometimes levers are replaced using the wrong one and this creates a drag on the receiver (with a large caliber lever the spur hits underside of receiver, not correctly engaging the carrier, the carrier may raise but the bolt doesnt travel all the way back).  

26514541-007.JPGImage Enlarger 

Problem 2)  (Cartridge seems to feed properly but then can get hung up when closing the bolt and no ejection at all)  Where does it get hung up?  Does the bolt close all the way?  When you put the collar and ejector in be sure it has some spring play (you should be able to push the ejector back into the bolt face–this is before the bolt is fully closed and before pinning the linkage).  If the ejector is stiff with no play then the collar or spring are not in the right positions or moved out of position when you closed the bolt to pin the lever and bolt together.  The ejector/spring/collar have to be in the right places, sometimes Ive even had to rotate the spring a little to get the length/spacing.  They can be a little temperamental. 

Hard to say without tinkering with it.

Chris

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Member
October 6, 2015 - 4:57 pm

Thanks to all for great feedback.  Will try the butt stock screw technique first and see if I can get any changes.   After that it is diving back into the receiver and tearing it apart.  Should be much easier putting it back together the second time!  Wont have to spend 2 hours having to figure out how the carrier goes back in.

Regards,

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: jolly bill, Tom D
Guest(s) 212
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323