Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1892 SRC .44 WCF (replace barrel, reline barrel or leave as is?)
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 31, 2015 - 4:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have an 1892 SRC in .44 WCF that was manufactured around 1901.  It appears to have been used a lot over the years and someone added sling swivels at some point.  The wood looks original but may have been refinished.  It may have been re-blued at one time.  I don’t know for sure.  The bore is rough and the rifling appears to be worn but is still visible.  At best, I can only get about 3 inch groups at 25 yards using a 200 grain bullet and 8.5 grains of Unique.  I have a new reproduction 1873 SRC that will group sub 1 inch at 50 yards using the same ammo.   I don’t like to alter the older guns but I assume this one has little collector value.  My options are to leave it as is, reline the barrel or replace the barrel.  I don’t really need it as a shooter since I have other rifles in this caliber that shoot just fine.  I would appreciate your opinions on the options that I have listed here.  Thanks.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 352
November 1, 2015 - 1:16 pm

Jonathan

I can help by narrowing your options; there is not enough material in a 44 cal carbine barrel to reline.

Hope that helps

Mike

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2304
November 5, 2015 - 10:32 pm

Jonathan Lofton said

I have an 1892 SRC in .44 WCF that was manufactured around 1901.  It appears to have been used a lot over the years and someone added sling swivels at some point.  The wood looks original but may have been refinished.  It may have been re-blued at one time.  I don’t know for sure.  The bore is rough and the rifling appears to be worn but is still visible.  At best, I can only get about 3 inch groups at 25 yards using a 200 grain bullet and 8.5 grains of Unique.  I have a new reproduction 1873 SRC that will group sub 1 inch at 50 yards using the same ammo.   I don’t like to alter the older guns but I assume this one has little collector value.  My options are to leave it as is, reline the barrel or replace the barrel.  I don’t really need it as a shooter since I have other rifles in this caliber that shoot just fine.  I would appreciate your opinions on the options that I have listed here.  Thanks.

Hello,

Could you please send info and/or photos so that  I can add the rifle into my survey of the 1892’s? 

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606355

Thanks so much

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Kingston, Wa.
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2
November 15, 2015 - 3:49 pm

HI,

I have been a 92 collector for years and still have all the calibers that were produced . Sometime back I left the collecting and got into competitive shooting the old Buffalo rifle single shots. I still have some parts / pieces around that I acquired over the years that could get an old 92 back up and running again.  Back to the point, I have two brand new 44-40 Winchester carbine barrels still in the white, with ramp front sight bases.  The only issue is it is marked Winchester 94. I was told that the barrels were made up for a run that Winchester used on one of their commemorative rifles way back when?  I was also told that they will install and lock up tight on a model 92. I have never had the opportunity to do that yet but will soon, I found a 38-40 in the rough that I’m trying to acquire and when that happens I will try and see if that will work. Some food for thought. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2348
twobit: 2304