Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 Muzzle Repair
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 490
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 30, 2021 - 2:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Here’s another old Winchester that’s been in the family for generations.  This old ’86 had the barrel hacksawed off at an angle decades ago.  After my first shots with it, I wondered how useful it was to anybody.  I expected it to shoot more accurately after truing up the muzzle, but was pleasantly surprised at how much it improved.  Mark

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5018
August 30, 2021 - 3:44 am

Good job, Mark. Glad to hear your place was spared from the wildfire. Was the barrel crowned at all after the hacksaw job? I quite honestly thought it would shoot a little better than that. Nice job re-facing that muzzle, love watching a lathe at work. I like the look of that “short rifle”. How did it handle? I agree some load development may be in order but having a decent 45-70 barrel come along would be pretty sweet, too. OTOH you may get curious about the 40-82.  Quite often I’m very impressed with how well these old Winchesters shoot. I suspect you’ll get this one shooting well someday.

Bluing tank setup looks interesting. I remember when my gunsmith would set up his tanks. He only did it now and then and all guns that needed bluing had to wait until he felt like it. Seems it was a lot of work and weather had something to do with it. Sadly the match gun that he blued so nicely for me wears a hard nickel (Armalloy) finish now. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Great Basin
WACA Member
August 30, 2021 - 4:05 am

Thanks Mike.  It didn’t have any crown, just a crooked cut and hand-filed dovetails.  When I started this project, I was hoping the repair would at least improve accuracy a little, but was kind of surprised at just how bad it shot the first time.  I was relieved when it shot so much better after squaring up the muzzle.  I have another old ranch ’86 in 40-82 that I’ve not shot either, so I may yet get to develop a 40-82 load.

I’m looking forward to getting the bluing tanks set up.  They’re in pretty rough shape, but I got one set sand blasted and ready to go for some rust bluing that I need to do an a couple of guns.  Mark

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4596
August 30, 2021 - 4:56 pm

Another great one Mark.  Did you get the tanks from your friend in Oregon?  What did you do to age the face?

Great Basin
WACA Member
August 31, 2021 - 4:06 pm

Chuck said
Another great one Mark.  Did you get the tanks from your friend in Oregon?  What did you do to age the face?  

Thanks Chuck.  

Actually, this whole setup came up fairly locally on Craigslist for $300 while the fire was raging and I couldn’t leave to pick it up for a couple of weeks.  Thankfully, the seller had been evacuated for ten days last year during another fire and was very understanding and held them until I could come pick them up.

Let’s talk in private about aging metal.  I’m don’t want to publicly divulge any techniques that can be used by the counterfeiters.  Mark

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4596
September 1, 2021 - 5:41 pm

Mark Douglas said

Thanks Chuck.  

Actually, this whole setup came up fairly locally on Craigslist for $300 while the fire was raging and I couldn’t leave to pick it up for a couple of weeks.  Thankfully, the seller had been evacuated for ten days last year during another fire and was very understanding and held them until I could come pick them up.

Let’s talk in private about aging metal.  I’m don’t want to publicly divulge any techniques that can be used by the counterfeiters.  Mark  

OK.  I thought you may have gotten the stuff from Denny.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: [email protected], freebird1968, Rick C
Guest(s) 151
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6357
TXGunNut: 5018
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4319
steve004: 4246