Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 Disassembly Instructions
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Montgomery, Texas (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 114
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 12, 2015 - 6:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

All,

Recently acquired and 1886 sn 49013 in a cal. 40-82.  noticed later on that the cartridge lifter wont lift up.  decided to take apart and just clean it a bit.  notice that the spring under the top tang had a buggered up screw and could not get loose, so I just took it all apart anyway.  when I put it back together it seemed to work but now the lifter guide on the right side falls out of the slot on the locking bolt and drops down into the action jamming the gun.  am concerned that the spring under the top tang is not placed properly or being bypassed and wanted to get some feedback on the 1886 n general.

been searching for a disassembly guide but there seems to be little to no info on the internet on this.  can anyone give me some insight into reference materials that I can read up on the 1886 and get a better idea on how the parts all work together?

thanks,

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
November 12, 2015 - 7:05 pm

The spring under the upper tang is really a carrier stop and is there to hold the cartridge carrier up when the lever is down.  When you reassemble an 1886 you have to be careful with the right locking bolt.  With the spring cover completely removed you insert the right locking bolt and work the rear end of the cartridge guide into the slot on the outboard side of the locking bolt, after the lever bushing and pin have been attached.  Then attach the right cartridge guide bolt in place with it’s screw.  After that,  carefully close the lever, making sure the right cartridge guide remains in the slot on the right locking bolt as you raise the lever.  Only after that do you replace the spring cover which has a protrusion on the inside that keeps the cartridge guide from slipping down and out of the slot.  If you don’t do it this way, the guide slips out of the slot and the action jams.  Complicated, but really easy when you have done it numerous times – like many other things in life!

win86.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
November 12, 2015 - 7:35 pm

Here are better dis-assembly/assembly instructions scanned from my copy of the NRA FIREARMS ASSEMBLY I.  It is in .pdf format and you can print the 2 pages for easier reference.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Montgomery, Texas (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 114
November 12, 2015 - 11:23 pm

Thanks,

Appreciate your help.  Going to get after it tomorrow morning.

Regards,

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Hockett, cj57, Manuel, deerhunter, SureShot
Guest(s) 184
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6390
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323