Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 Close Set Trigger
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 25, 2021 - 7:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I found a rifle that has the close set triggers that aren’t working.  What would it take to remove the trigger?  I have never torn an 86 apart. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
March 25, 2021 - 9:51 pm

Chuck, The Winchester Catalogues have a cut away picture with directions on dissembling and assembling. The trigger comes out with the lower tang. I have no experience with the double set type.

(1) Remove stock

(2) Unscrew strain screw

(3) Drive out the main-spring from left to right.

(4) Remove the carrier spring.

(5) Take out the hammer screw and tang with sear attached.

T/R

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6368
March 26, 2021 - 12:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

TR said
  Chuck, The Winchester Catalogues have a cut away picture with directions on dissembling and assembling. The trigger comes out with the lower tang. I have no experience with the double set type.

(1) Remove stock

Before going beyond this, with the buttstock off, spray the DS mechanism with Kroil, turn the adjustment screw in & out, see if it will set.  If it doesn’t, I’d spray again with carb cleaner, as Kroil won’t cut hardened, oxidized, oil, if that’s binding the mechanism.  If it’s still inoperative, only then would I proceed further.

WACA Member
March 26, 2021 - 4:37 pm

TR said

(1) Remove stock

(2) Unscrew strain screw

(3) Drive out the main-spring from left to right.

(4) Remove the carrier spring.

(5) Take out the hammer screw and tang with sear attached.

T/R  

That makes sense.  That is how I figured out how to tear my Henry apart.

WACA Member
March 26, 2021 - 4:39 pm

clarence said

TR said

(1) Remove stock

Before going beyond this, with the buttstock off, spray the DS mechanism with Kroil, turn the adjustment screw in & out, see if it will set.  If it doesn’t, I’d spray again with carb cleaner, as Kroil won’t cut hardened, oxidized, oil, if that’s binding the mechanism.  If it’s still inoperative, only then would I proceed further.  

Thanks.  I don’t own the gun yet but I will play with it a bit.

NY
WACA Member
March 26, 2021 - 5:43 pm

Chuck said

Thanks.  I don’t own the gun yet but I will play with it a bit.  

Be careful about turning the adj. screw–may break if it’s stuck hard.

WACA Member
March 27, 2021 - 9:36 pm

clarence said

Be careful about turning the adj. screw–may break if it’s stuck hard.  

I got a chance to play with the adjustment screw.  It is not stuck and when screwed in it appears to want to work but the trigger will not stay in the “notch” or set.  Never had one of these apart but I do have the same trigger on an 85 but I really don’t want to tear both apart to see what is wrong on the 86.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
March 27, 2021 - 9:42 pm

Chuck,

So the sear does not want to stay in the hammer notch? or is it the kickoff catch (the hook) not staying on the kickoff.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

NY
WACA Member
March 27, 2021 - 11:43 pm

Chuck,  Anybody from whom you can borrow Frank de Haas’ Single Shot Rifles?  (Expensive to buy.) Best descriptions & drawings of all 3 set triggers ever written.  (Also, my favorite gun book.)

WACA Member
March 28, 2021 - 5:52 pm

1873man said
Chuck,

So the sear does not want to stay in the hammer notch? or is it the kickoff catch (the hook) not staying on the kickoff.

Bob  

Bob, is there a way to determine this without taking someone else’s gun apart?  I really have no knowledge of the parts.  Is there a diagram somewhere?  I’ve been lucky in the past and all of my triggers where working when I bought the guns.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
March 28, 2021 - 6:03 pm

Chuck,

I’m not sure about a 86 but with a 73 if you slide the stock off you have a real good view of the set trigger workings and you can play with it and tell what is wrong. I don’t have any double set guns or diagrams for them. I do have working 73 tangs with set triggers in them. Here is a link to a post I made with a copy of a article of the most common set trigger problems.

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/1873-set-trigger/

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

NY
WACA Member
March 28, 2021 - 6:45 pm

1873man said
 Here is a link to a post I made with a copy of a article of the most common set trigger problems.

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/1873-set-trigger/

I printed that out when you first posted it.  But it’s for the SS trigger, not the CC.

WACA Member
March 28, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Thanks Bob and Clarence.  I have a copy of Bob’s set trigger article already but can’t find it right now.

I guess I will have to take the stock off my 85 and then ask the owner of the 86 IF I could do the same.

Bob would tig welding fix most problems or is it likely that I will need a new part?  I know you don’t know for sure but what do you see more?

Wisconsin
WACA Member
March 28, 2021 - 7:44 pm

Chuck,

The most common problem with sets is the notches on the hammer. The half cock is narrow on a set which causes it to crack off. The little screw stuck or broken off. If someone was in there before then you end up with it assembled wrong and doesn’t work. With the stock off you should be able to see the kickoff catch and when you push the set it should latch even if it just barely catches. If it catches and slips off, then the catch or the kickoff is worn. Hammer notches can be welded up but the other parts are getting small and welding with a tig can get real hard.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
March 28, 2021 - 8:19 pm

I found these in Frank de Haas’ book on Single Set Rifles.  So this is what they look like in the 85.

NY
WACA Member
March 28, 2021 - 8:42 pm

Chuck said
I found these in Frank de Haas’ book on Single Set Rifles.  So this is what they look like in the 85.  

Surprising that you found those, Chuck.  Paper-back is now selling for around $200 I think, but there wasn’t a single copy listed on ABE.  Along with the drawings are a page of description explaining exactly how each mechanism works.  In fact he wrote a separate book about set triggers of all types.

WACA Member
March 28, 2021 - 9:36 pm

clarence said

Surprising that you found those, Chuck.  Paper-back is now selling for around $200 I think, but there wasn’t a single copy listed on ABE.  Along with the drawings are a page of description explaining exactly how each mechanism works.  In fact he wrote a separate book about set triggers of all types.  

No surprise once I remembered I had his book.

NY
WACA Member
March 28, 2021 - 9:46 pm

Chuck said

No surprise once I remembered I had his book.  

Damn good thing–you’d be in trouble looking for it now!  Hard to believe a book published in large numbers by Gun Digest, which could be found at almost any gun show for about $25 not that long ago, is now almost unobtainable.  Around 10 yrs ago his son told me he was intending to have it reprinted, but nothing came of it.  I have one of the rare hardback eds–in fact, the only one I ever saw for sale.

WACA Member
March 28, 2021 - 9:51 pm

clarence said

Damn good thing–you’d be in trouble looking for it now!  Hard to believe a book published in large numbers by Gun Digest, which could be found at almost any gun show for about $25 not that long ago, is now almost unobtainable.  Around 10 yrs ago his son told me he was intending to have it reprinted, but nothing came of it.  I have one of the rare hardback eds–in fact, the only one I ever saw for sale.  

Don’t remember when I bought it or for how much.  My 1969 copy is printed with a “Seven Dollar and Ninety Five Cents” price on it. So this was what they thought it was worth.  Mine is a paperback.

NY
WACA Member
March 28, 2021 - 11:23 pm

Chuck said

Don’t remember when I bought it or for how much.  My 1969 copy is printed with a “Seven Dollar and Ninety Five Cents” price on it. So this was what they thought it was worth.  Mine is a paperback.  

Same on mine.  But even after it went out of print, $25-30 was an average gun show price for many yrs, because so many had been printed.  Where have they all gone to now?

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Aussie Chris, freebird1968, oldcrankyyankee, martin rabeno
Guest(s) 166
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250