Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1885 Special Single Shot Stock Checkering
Avatar
JSchluter
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5
Member Since:
May 18, 2026
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
August 29, 2026 - 7:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am trying to complete the resurrection of an 1885 Special Single Shot. I ran across an original curved lower tang and over time have built the rest from original parts. I completed the metal parts and the butt stock just before I opted to get encephalitis. I’ve located a good stockmaker to finish the forend and do the finishing, but I cannot locate anyone to do the checkering in the typical Winchester pattern from that era. I’d like to know what the typical lines per inch was for the 1885’s. Also, any help with locating anyone doing checkering.

Avatar
Bert H.
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 14757
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
August 29, 2026 - 8:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The vast majority of the Special Single Shot Rifles (SSSR) were checkered with 20-lpi and the H-pattern.

This is a typical SSSR

3030-242.jpg3030-242CUL.jpg3030-242CUR.jpg3030-242L.jpg

Bert

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Avatar
Blue Ridge Parson
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 400
Member Since:
June 1, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
August 29, 2026 - 10:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bert,

That rifle shows the perfect blending of form and function, the melding of art and engineering.  Can you tell me what it is chambered for? (and when you will be dropping it by my house.) Laugh

BRP

Avatar
Bert H.
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 14757
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
August 29, 2026 - 10:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue Ridge Parson said
Bert,
That rifle shows the perfect blending of form and function, the melding of art and engineering.  Can you tell me what it is chambered for? (and when you will be dropping it by my house.)
BRP
  

The SSSR in the pictures I posted is s/n 75874 and it is a 32-40.

The majority of the SSSRs were chambered for the 32-40 or 38-55, but they were made in small numbers in numerous other cartridges.  The SSSR was Winchester’s first dedicated Target rifle.  They were available as early as 1886 (the Schuetzen Rifle did not make its appearance until March 1896.   

Unfortunately, I do not own it Frown, nor would I ever just drop it off at your house! Surprised

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Avatar
Ben
Northeast Washington
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 867
Member Since:
July 3, 2020
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
5
August 30, 2026 - 2:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BRP… the reason Burt isn’t “dropping it off at your house” is because he promised it to me!  That really is a “sexy” rifle… yes I said it!  No wonder you drive a beater truck, all your money is in art!  🙂   

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Jeremy Scott., Byron Russell, Tedk, Michael B., Randycrockett, Ben, [email protected], Michael Elli, Green River Gus, kevindpm61
Guest(s) 183
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7636
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6865
steve004: 5845
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3066
twobit: 2738
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2388
Newest Members:
Kevin Paradis
Vny777
Brick767
Steve72
E.S.Blofeld
Keith gun
dirkb
Mustang66
Gerald Lucas
IMCWC
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16283
Posts: 149023

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10973
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation