Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 Restoration Project
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 12, 2022 - 5:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

CoRifleman said

Thanks Mike!  Yes, dies at on the way, and I’ve got a VERY small amount of brass on hand.  Can’t wait to send some down the pipe.  I think I’ll just keep adding a coat of Tung every few days for a couple weeks and see where it’s at.

What are you doing once the Tung oil has dried?  Steel wool and hand rubbing.  After a few coats the pores will fill up and the wood will stop soaking in the oil.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 24
September 12, 2022 - 6:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Chuck said

CoRifleman said

Thanks Mike!  Yes, dies at on the way, and I’ve got a VERY small amount of brass on hand.  Can’t wait to send some down the pipe.  I think I’ll just keep adding a coat of Tung every few days for a couple weeks and see where it’s at.

What are you doing once the Tung oil has dried?  Steel wool and hand rubbing.  After a few coats the pores will fill up and the wood will stop soaking in the oil.

First coat hit it with steel wool.  2nd and 3rd hit it with 1500grit.  Now just adding.  Didn’t do the “sand to build a slurry” step.  Will have to see if it’ll build or no.  If no, will break it back down and use the steel wool again.  Hate whiskers get in the grain.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
September 14, 2022 - 8:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

CoRifleman said

First coat hit it with steel wool.  2nd and 3rd hit it with 1500grit.  Now just adding.  Didn’t do the “sand to build a slurry” step.  Will have to see if it’ll build or no.  If no, will break it back down and use the steel wool again.  Hate whiskers get in the grain.

I usually dampen the wood prior to doing any finish work.  After the wood drys it raises the whiskers for easy sanding.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2344
twobit: 2295