Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Removing an original 1873 rifle barrel from a receiver
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
todd mathews
WACA Guest
November 21, 2019 - 7:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello, I have talked to midway and brownells  but no one has tools -action wrench to remove receiver from barrel-. Any suggestions? Thanks very much todd

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 21, 2019 - 11:36 pm

Todd, I have never done that, I have seen to many guns with wrench or vice marks to try. Get professional help. T/R

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
November 22, 2019 - 12:07 am

Todd,

I removed a couple many years ago when I first got into Winchesters and I used a very big crescent wrench padded the jaws with aluminum and gripped on the sides of the receiver as far forward as I could in the flat area of the receiver. I put a rectangular bar into the elevator slot to keep from crushing. This is what I did and I knew that it could go south quick and I would have scrape metal so keep that in mind.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
November 22, 2019 - 12:18 am

This is what worked for me.  But this is just suggestion.  Elders of the forum, please don’t kill me.

Try wrapping thick leather straps over the grips of a table vice.  Place the barrel into the vice pretty close to the receiver.  I then used a piece of wood that was cut to fit nice and snug into the top of the receiver and then turned.  Lots of PB blaster soaked into the frame where the barrel meets.  

Again, just a suggestion.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
November 22, 2019 - 6:09 pm

1873man said
Todd,

I removed a couple many years ago when I first got into Winchesters and I used a very big crescent wrench padded the jaws with aluminum and gripped on the sides of the receiver as far forward as I could in the flat area of the receiver. I put a rectangular bar into the elevator slot to keep from crushing. This is what I did and I knew that it could go south quick and I would have scrape metal so keep that in mind.

Bob  

Bob makes some good points.  The tool must be padded, the receiver needs an insert so you don’t crush it and the vise must be padded.

You need to talk to a gunsmith about this.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303