Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
Search results for 'Winchester model 12 butt stovk' (19367)

…are pics of a field grade model 12 I just got back from Simmons. Notice the proof marks and the rib has no marking on it.  I have had many model 42‘s and model 12 done by Simmons through the years but always had their name stamped on the rib. This is the first time one came back with no…

…markings.

Your 20 gauge has a late model Simmons rib, the early ones were stamped in block letters.

September 3, 2018 8:33 pm
Views: 5267

… 

The 25-20 WCF was not considered a "Target" cartridge.  For those shooters that wanted a .25 caliber target rifle and cartridge, they bought a Model 1885 Single Shot in 25-20 S.S. (Single Shot).

In my opinion, the 25-20 WCF was introduced as a small game and short range varmint

September 3, 2018 7:38 pm
Views: 2958

…sure when it was listed but I believe that it would be available no sooner than 1895.  The 25 WCF was designed for the Model 1892.

September 3, 2018 4:50 pm
Views: 2958

…purchased a 1C thumbprint elevator from E-Bay for a Model 53. Unfortunately, it was too "thick" and would not fit into the slot of the 22C flat top! Did not have a micrometer however, appeared to be right

September 3, 2018 5:06 am
Views: 1452

…said

Model 57 Target serial number 16046 with original blue. Unmarked filler block in the rear barrel dovetail, looks original to the gun with no marks or…

…missed hits from installation. Lyman rear sight has Lyman only, no model number. The front sight is an early 17A Marked Lyman Reg US Pat., it is the 3/4" shorter variation with nice original luster blue. Some very light

September 2, 2018 11:42 pm
Views: 45073

…msn.com said

Is there any research available to show what serial numbers of the Model 52 that the military accepted? Also can you tell me what branches use the 52 s and what exactly they use them for?  

There is not a comprehensive…

…serial number list of all the Model 52s purchased by the military although I believe one of our members (SEEWIN) can probably give us a range of serial numbers for some of the models…

…in odd lots over a period of time from WWII up to the mid-1960s (and maybe even later) and are serial numbered sequentially with the commercial models.  The largest group of 52s were the 52Cs purchased in the mid-1950s and the 52Ds purchased in the mid-1960s.  I am not sure anyone has asked the…

…the Army and that total number would be interesting to know.  Batha estimates about 15,000 in his book U.S. Maritial .22 RF Rifles.

While the Model 52 was one of 4 rifles designated by the Army as the "M12" they were not really used for general marksmanship training.  They were purchased by the…

…Force for their marksmanship teams, ROTC and some DCM clubs as well as by other branches of service in small amounts.

The article below from the Winchester News dated May 23, 1958 is an example of a small lot purchase by the Air Force.

Regards,

September 2, 2018 5:21 pm
Views: 953

…there any research available to show what serial numbers of the Model 52 that the military accepted? Also can you tell me what branches use the 52 s and what exactly they use them for?

September 2, 2018 4:16 pm

…you again, Bert.  I appreciate all the information available in the forum and from you.  I will keep searching for a model 43 in unaltered condition. 

September 2, 2018 4:44 am
Views: 2828

…receiver bridges in October of 1950, at serial number 31763. The rifle you are looking at was manufactured in late September 1950, just days before Winchester made the change to the receiver.

Bert

September 2, 2018 2:41 am

…you very much, Bert.  At what serial number were the model 43s factory tapped?  Have looked at quite a few 43s, but never purchased.  This does not sound like one to be too enamored with. 

September 2, 2018 1:11 am

…edge if the receiver ring.  Any thoughts on facory or non factory tapped? 

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/Winchester-Model-43-Rifle-218-BEE-cal/lotInformation/43723167

September 2, 2018 12:43 am

…Erin Grivicich said

Hi Bert,

The barrel on this one is marked "model 90", no 62 marking. I pulled the butt stock and it's a flat spring.

Best,

Erin  

Yes, that is what I expected.  Winchester ran out of Model 90 barrels, and instead grabbed a Model 62/62A barrel an properly rolled stamped it with the "MODEL 90" marking.  On the flip side, there are at least a few dozen Model 62A rifles out…

…there with a Model 90 serial numbered frame, and they usually have a "B" on the end of the serial number.  The total number of Model 90/62/62A permutations that exist during the parts clean-up era is surprising and interesting to say the least.

Bert

September 1, 2018 9:09 pm
Views: 14440

…Bert,

The barrel on this one is marked "model 90", no 62 marking. I pulled the butt stock and it's a flat spring.

Best,

Erin

September 1, 2018 8:59 pm

…a "B" on the end of the serial number. The rifles with the "B" thus far are found with a 62A marked barrel, and have the coil-spring hammer. The Model 90s with a "62" marked barrel are found with a true Model 90 receiver group. This survey has been very educational thus far, and it will be

September 1, 2018 7:34 pm

Please send the pictures to me at [email protected] and I will post them for you.

I have never seen or heard of a Model 70 made with interchangeable barrels...

Bert

…loaned me an original September 1924 National Sportsman magazine. Upon opening the cover page, lo and behold!!!! ... an advertisement for the Winchester Model 53!! The entire magazine was in black and white except for the inside and outside of the front and back cover, which was colour.

The first…

Winchester Model 53 was serialized on June 18, 1924 with a total of 40 serialized by the end of that first month. By the beginning of September, when this National…

…Sportsman issue came out, a total of just 661 Model 53 rifles had been serialized. Since that was the very first step in building a rifle, the actual number completed may have been slightly less. I…

…think we can safely say that this advertisement was the very first official layout design for advertising the Model 53.

The big question in my mind is, what month did Winchester start running this ad in the National Sportsman? Chances are, with a total

…be possible to add some kind of wood oil to get it to swell up and tighten up the looseness? Thanks to all for my continued education in "Original Winchester Knowledge". 

I chalked the lettering on the rib and got these pictures.  The lettering looks the same when under a 10 X magnifying lens,…

… unreadable.  I measured the posts and bases and they are the same dimensions as the measurements on my correct model 12.  Any guesses?RDB 

September 1, 2018 2:33 pm

Model 70 Rifle acquired in NZ. Old guy needed money. Claims it was built by Winchester for a safari hunter.

Serial number 251,511

Cal. 30-06

Any help would be appreciated.[Image Can Not Be Found]

Thanks,

Rich

[Image

…to find out some information on a model 52b that has 3 stock stamps. P stamp on pistol grip, three ? over eagle on bottom grip and cross cannons near rear of the buttstock. Stamps are…

…bluing is 90-95% barrel is a standard looking blue but receiver looks possibly slow rust blued . Stock is thick with beaver tail foreend . Metal butt plate looks like others I've seen but strangely is under sized to wood.

Everything looks original and unaltered or refinished. Other than some

September 1, 2018 5:57 am

I had a friend of mine engrave a model 12 field grade back in 1977 and two months ago I finally decided to have a rib installed by Simmons.  I drove down to Kansas and ask if they could…

…a post rib and they said yes no problem. I picked  the gun up two days ago and to my surprise the rib does not have any markings on it and they put Winchester proof marks on the barrel and the receiver. It’s obvious the gun is not factory because of the engraving and being re-blued but someone could…

…been on a plain or solid rib barrel. Vent rib barrels were drilled and tapped in the rib only. (NOT THRU THE BARREL)

I will send pics of the model 12 in a couple days as soon as I can figure out how to post them. I just became a paying member recently wished I had done it many years ago.

September 1, 2018 1:53 am

…ling swivel mounts are factory original (special ordered). I suspect that the barrel is also correct. This was a late production Model 65, more than likely assembled after WW II, and Winchester used a barrel in inventory. The fact that it has a No., 98C bolt peep sight is a very

August 31, 2018 8:53 pm
Views: 1074

…sights. I believe the outer magazine tube has been replaced. (the existing one is of the non collared type used on first, second and early third models with the flat spring tensioner) I can see The relief cut for the magazine ring pin behind the rear magazine ring and very faint discoloration of…

…where a ring was mounted at one time. The spacing of the magazine rings would dictate a model 62 outer magazine tube would of been correct for this rifle. The hunt for one has started.

Erin

August 31, 2018 5:01 pm

…guys,

In my survey of the Model 1892/92 rifles I have cataloged  just over 11,800 individual rifles and found 9 with Swiss butt plates on them.   I do think that this butt stock is original, has a small chip missing on the left side at the wrist, and apparently at some time

August 31, 2018 3:30 pm
Views: 1439

…is in regards to the 'off set' proof marks.  After market ribs installed by Simmons or other rib companies cover the original proof marks made by Winchester, because they are centered on the top of the barrel and receiver.  I am of the understanding that the barrels Winchester had ribbed by Simmons were…

…after the rib was installed.  Therefore the 'offset' proof marks.  Does this make sense?  RDB  

Madis states on page 56 of his book on the model 12, ". . . that some unfinished guns were sold to Simmons for fitting with ribs.  These guns did not have choke markings and have the Winchester

…Proofmarks on the sides of receivers and barrels."  What makes sense to me is that Winchester would most likely have proofmarked any barrel they sent to another party.

Another note that might interest you is what appears at the bottom of…

…page 73 of the same book, "Ribs made by Simmons for Winchester usually have the markings 'Simmons Pat.'  Ribs installed by Simmons usually have the marking 'Simmons Gun Speciality Co., Kansas City, Mo.'" 

August 31, 2018 2:46 pm

… and No, you have not overstepped any boundaries. 

Bert  

Thanks! I'm working on several other rimfires from the same collection, including a Model 1873 in 22 Short and a Model 1890 in 22 Short. I've already sold another 1885 from the collection on Gunbroker (https://www.gunbroker.com/item

August 31, 2018 12:25 pm
Views: 1527

…H. said

Dave,

The front sight is not original. The Lyman tang sight is the correct one for a Model 1885, but it was likely added at a later date. The value killer for the rifle is the extra holes drilled & tapped in the barrel.

Bert  

August 31, 2018 12:03 pm

…said

I purchased a Model 12 20 gauge with the Round Post Donut Base Rib.  Since I started collecting I have always wanted one and just never came across one.  I knew up front…

…the gun had been refinished and the serial number dated the gun to 1949.  The rib wasn't offered until 1954 according to the Dave Riffle Model 12 book so it wasn't originally produced at the Winchester Factory.  The fact that the Winchester proof marks are now 'off set', caused me to believe…

…returned to the factory for the rib installation.  There are some unreadable words stamped on the left side of the rib (barely visible above the - WINCHESTER) and may be "SIMMONS" in Italic script.  The Simmons company did work with Winchester when this style rib was originally produced.  Anyone have…

…ideas or thoughts  to add?

Thanks, RDB

I own a Winchester Model 12 Field Pigeon Grade, 20 gauge, modified choke with a Winchester Special Ventilated Rib. S/N 1394800. This S/N dates to 1951 ( Dave Riffle's model book), 1953 (Madis book). The barrel is marked 51. Offset…

…proof marks on both barrel and receiver. No evidence of proof marks under rib, no markings on the rib. This Model 12 must have been a safe Queen as it is in original factory mint condition. The original purchaser has long been deceased so I am unable to get first…

…hand information.

It appears from all advertisements that the Winchester Special Ventilated Rib was not introduced until 1954 although on page 139 of Riffle's book it shows a special ordered Model 12 with a New Winchester

…Special Ventilated Rib with a lower S/N than mine.

Question - Were these Round Post Donut Base Ribs (ie New Winchester Special Ventilated Rib) being installed at Winchester factory with the help of Simmons Co. or was Winchester slow in introducing the Vented Rib?  

August 31, 2018 3:04 am

The front sight is not original. The Lyman tang sight is the correct one for a Model 1885, but it was likely added at a later date. The value killer for the rifle is the extra holes drilled & tapped in the barrel.

Bert

August 31, 2018 2:24 am

…Bert, 

I can understand someone switching out a Model 64 barrel on a standard frame rifle and then changing the model markings from a 64 to 94, but why would you go through the trouble to do it? 

Dont mean to be argumentative but based on its merits, at least for

August 30, 2018 10:27 pm
Views: 2033

…Hunter said

Hence the 94/95 Hybrids  

Mike,

That is an "Apples and Oranges" comparison.  Winchester did not remark, or over stamp any of the several thousand surplus Model 95 barrels that were modified for use on the 1928 production Model 94

August 30, 2018 9:14 pm
Views: 2033
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 628
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 67
Top Posters:
1873man: 5159
clarence: 4179
TXGunNut: 3828
Chuck: 3446
steve004: 3038